+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Streaming from External Hard Drive

is a discussion within the

AppleTV

forums, a part of the

Mac Hardware

section;
I have an Apple TV with an Apple wireless router and an External Hard drive attached. I have jailbroken the Apple TV already. But wanted to know if I would
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Streaming from External Hard Drive
    I have an Apple TV with an Apple wireless router and an External Hard drive attached. I have jailbroken the Apple TV already. But wanted to know if I would be able to wireless stream these movies from my hard drive to the TV. Because I have been looking on how to do it step by step and have yet to find a good way to do so. I have XBMC downloaded. For some reason, I can not find how to locate the hard drive. I understand it may be an easy fix for some, but I just can not seem to do this. Please help, I would really appreciate the assistance.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Janet55's Avatar
    Thanks

Let the contents in hard drive sync to iTunes library, and then stream content to the Apple TV direct from your iTunes library.
    Well, this article "Using AppleTV as your new home Media Centre" might can do some help for you.
    Life is like music. It must be composed by ear, feeling and instinct, not by rule.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Took me a while to get everything just right, but here is what I did!

WNDR3700 with an external drive attached. In the Video menu of XBMC, click "add source" and then browse, and see if any of those can find your external drive (click on each one, one-by-one, and give each a minute to see if anything appears. Can sometimes take time). Mine could be found under a couple of different ones, but the best functionality (with XBMC) was connecting via SMB, as it could scrape for metadata. It now looks great on my ATV2!

If you want to do some really neat stuff, spend a weekend setting up sabnzbd, sickbeard, and couchpotato!

Green Apple
    Thanks

You must connect the hard drive to a computer and share it (if it is not a network storage drive).
    If you don't share the drive XBMC can't see it. In windows you right click the drive/folder and click share. In OSX you need to go to system preferences and click Sharing. In the sharing preferences select file sharing. Find the folder/drive. And share it. For OSX you must share using SMB, so int he sharing window click the "options" button and select share with SMB (Windows)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

You can also try out the solution that has been mentioned here

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

This is a really excellent read for me. Must agree that you are one of the best bloggers I ever saw. Thanks for posting this useful article.It is very generous of you for taking the time to discuss this, I feel strongly about it and will love to learning more on this at future. If possible, as you gain expertise, would you mind updating your blog more often with more useful information? Honestly It is extremely helpful for me .I like the helpful information you provide in your articles. I will bookmark your blog and check again here frequently. I am quite certain I’ll learn many new stuff right here! Best of luck for the next!