+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How fast to stream HD?

is a discussion within the

AppleTV

forums, a part of the

Mac Hardware

section;
I will be buying a NAS from Synology ( Synology Network Attached Storage - NEW NAS Experience ) but I don't know what I need. My goal is to have
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default How fast to stream HD?
    I will be buying a NAS from Synology (Synology Network Attached Storage - NEW NAS Experience) but I don't know what I need.

My goal is to have all my media (movies, pics, music, everything) on the NAS and be able to stream to any device in my home. I have iPhones, iPad, Apple TV (original), but will also have a networked Blu Ray, etc, etc...

I want to be able to stream HD video from the NAS to 2 devices at the same time.

What transfer rate would I need to consider to be able to do so smoothly? I will be playing HD video on a 50inch plasma, if that makes a difference.

Thanks!

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

The problem with the Iphone/ipad is the limited file types that they can handle. If you have a server instead of a NAS, you can use tversity and transcode on the fly, if needed. It also makes it easier to stream outside of the house, since it can take that into account and convert the files to a more bandwidth friendly version.

That being said, I am trying to switch away from a dedicated server and limit to a NAS. I simply don't find myself streaming to my iOS devices (XBMC on ATV aside, of course).

I find that the most important thing when streaming HD is to make sure the router can handle it. I tried everything before trying and swapping out my beloved WRT54GL, but after finally switching to a WNDR3700, all of my HD stuttering and lagging went away. There is probably something newer out by now, though.

Never really tried streaming HD to more than one device. Let us know how it works!

Green Apple
    Thanks
    im new to ATV2. i have a server in my house with all media stored. ive been able to stream 720p tv shows to my ATV2 (using XBMC) without any noticeable stuttering or pausing.

i am also using a Linksys WRT54G as well and my ATV2 only shows 50% signal strength from where it sits in my bedroom and it seems to be streaming fine.