+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Can you play mkv without conversion?

is a discussion within the

AppleTV

forums, a part of the

Mac Hardware

section;
I'm looking into buy apple tv. That's my main question. The seconds can you use a different remote?
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Can you play mkv without conversion?
    I'm looking into buy apple tv. That's my main question. The seconds can you use a different remote?

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Yes you can play mkv if it's jailbroken and you install XBMC.

You can use another remote without jailbreaking. The ATV2 can learn buttons you choose from most remotes or you can use a learning remote.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Janet55's Avatar
    Thanks

Well, UPDATE VLC can play Matroska files on the AppleTV, *but* it is evident that the hardware cannot handle high bitrate files. It plays 480p decently (some skips), but 720p is unwatchable and 1080p will never get past the first frame.

Hmm, use XBMC, maybe also has some problem. In general, xbmc can play mkv files, only the performance is not ideal, but it really depends on the profile of the mkv file.

mkv as a container requires quite some cpu power during playback and while quicktime on frontrow uses the gpu to help with 720p mp4 files, xbmc has to rely solely on the cpu for decoding and the atv has a comparatively lame cpu, but a decent gpu. and since the gpu api is closed source, I doubt that xbmc will ever be able to properly play back high profile mkv files.

I still think the best thing would be to use a tool like handbrake or iFunia MKV converter to convert it to mp4 and then play it back on ATV through iTunes or use XBMC~
    Life is like music. It must be composed by ear, feeling and instinct, not by rule.
    How to Delete Duplicates in iPhoto

Green Apple
    Thanks

I noticed the same thing with high bitrate files.. But for most reasonable ripped videos it works quite well. There only have been a few videos where it struggled with.