+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Finally jb atv2g, now what's cool?

is a discussion within the

AppleTV

forums, a part of the

Mac Hardware

section;
So I've ha a jailbroken iPhone for two years and love it. I now have a jb atv2g and am looking for suggestions on running cool ****. I'm running windows
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Finally jb atv2g, now what's cool?
    So I've ha a jailbroken iPhone for two years and love it. I now have a jb atv2g and am looking for suggestions on running cool ****. I'm running windows xp btw. What kind o stuff are you doing with your at atv2g, nitotv xbmc?

Green Apple
    Thanks

So far, i've installed xbmc, which allows me to stream any kind of video file to my tv, through apple tv. This is great, because now I don't have to convert avi files to mp4's to play them on apple tv.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by joeg679 View Post
    So far, i've installed xbmc, which allows me to stream any kind of video file to my tv, through apple tv. This is great, because now I don't have to convert avi files to mp4's to play them on apple tv.
    What are you steaming them from?
    I need help streaming from win 7 pc .
    Thanks.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Yeah, so far the only cool thing to install is XBMC and from there you can install all different kinds of addons to stream videos.. But I'm just happy I dont have to convert them just like what joeg679 said.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Plex is way cooler than XBMC, but you need a mac to run it. I honestly don't understand why you'd have an apple tv without a mac.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ThaNatrix View Post
    Plex is way cooler than XBMC, but you need a mac to run it. I honestly don't understand why you'd have an apple tv without a mac.
    I have both but my pc for gaming so its a power house media player thats why xmbc player a must.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ThaNatrix View Post
    Haha cause I'm broke

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

I've run both Plex and XBMC, and personally, I think XBMC blows Plex out of the water.

-No need for a host computer or transcoding...it uses the hardware already built into the iOS devices to play beautifully and quickly
    -much better scraping and metadata editing
    -incredible remote control option for the iPad with real time scrubbing
    XBMC Commander for iPad on the iTunes App Store
    -runs directly on ATV, iPhone and iPad. On the iPad, you can even use an SD card via the Camera Kit as your source with avi, divX, mkv etc.

The only thing I've found that PLEX can do over XBMC is run HULU (regular + Plus), but it does it so poorly that I never use it.
    Last edited by DaveiPhone; 02-14-2011 at 11:31 AM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DaveiPhone View Post
    I've run both Plex and XBMC, and personally, I think XBMC blows Plex out of the water.

-No need for a host computer or transcoding...it uses the hardware already built into the iOS devices to play beautifully and quickly
    -runs directly on ATV, iPhone and iPad. On the iPad, you can even use an SD card via the Camera Kit as your source with avi, divX, mkv etc.

The only thing I've found that PLEX can do over XBMC is run HULU (regular + Plus), but it does it so poorly that I never use it.
    Whats your pc setup are you on win 7 ?
    Do you use wifi or hard wired ? (im hard wired)
    Can you give me some tips on getting the Atv2 and pc to see each other as i cant get it going.
    Thanks.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Wait...Plex can play Hulu? Last time I tried it I got audio but no video? Did they fix it?

iPhone? More like MyPhone NOYB111's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DaveiPhone View Post

I have a MAC and so I use PLEX. I humbly disagree, PLEX is way better than XBMC. XBMC was a pain to set up and not very intuitive. PLEX is so much smoother and easier to set up and runs perfectly. The comment about not needing a host computer is off base if you ask me. Yeah 'technically' you dont need XBMC running on a PC, but how would you get the content without 'sharing' a folder from a PC, so in fact you do need a 'host' computer to have content so what is the difference if its running a PLEX server or sharing a folder, it still has to be there and be on. To each his own, I just find PLEX a much easier and nicer fit for my needs. Just my two cents...

Thanks

NOYB111:

I have 3 Macs and a PC, but I don't necessarily want to use any of them for media streaming. For that, I have a cheap little NAS (Synology 211j), that works beautifully. I guess you could call the NAS a host computer, but at a fraction of the price, with no need to run or maintain a background transcoder.

The big advantage of XBMC, in my opinion is that there's no software transcoding needed. So I can have the files local on my iPad or stream from my NAS to either my iPad or the ATV, and the material plays almost instantly. XBMC is leveraging hardware that already exists in the iOS devices. This may not matter to you if all your video is in mp4, but for those of us with avi, divX, and mkv material, it's a really big deal.

I used PLEX for a couple of months, and it was a bit easier to set up, I'll agree, but the metadata sucked, and editing the metadata was even worse. With XBMC, the scraping was 99% perfect right away, and editing the few incorrect entries was dramatically easier. At this point, it's 100% and I have over 1000 movies and 100+ TV series stored.

ThaNatrix:

Yes, PLEX can do Hulu, though in the couple of months I used it, it broke temporarily a couple of times. To get it to work, the #1 thing is to go to the server advanced settings tab and check "disable capability checking". The #2 thing is to make sure that you don't update Flash to the latest version on the host computer, as this will break Hulu. Once it's set properly, you can do both Hulu and Hulu Plus (if you have an account). There's also a little bug, where if you select a show with a lot of episodes, you get a blank list on the ATV when you drill down. If you go up a level, and then back into the list, it will usually show up the second time.

davy1shoe:

To use Windows 7 with XBMC, just make sure you have the folder shared under Windows, then in XBMC, choose "Add Source" from the Video menu. From there, you can either type in the address directly (smb://IPAddressofWindowsBox) or go to Browse and select Windows network (SMB), and then select your WORKGROUP. Note that if you have the home version of Windows or for some other reason don't have the workgroup name as WORKGROUP, you may first have to go into your System->Network->SMB Client settings on XBMC and change the name of the Workgroup to match your workgroup name.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to DaveiPhone For This Useful Post:

davy1shoe (02-15-2011)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Thanks man ill try it out and maybe buy the setup box you have sounds less hassle.
    Do you run dvd image on the NAS?

Thanks

Currently, video_ts playback will not work if menus are included in addition to video files. That should improve over time. I'm not sure whether ISOs work or not, but I suspect not. Dunno, as I don't run any dvd images, I always just rip the main movie out.

As for your question about my network, my PC and Macs are all wired, as is my NAS and 2 of the ATVs. Another ATV runs wireless, and there is really almost no difference in visible performance.
    Last edited by DaveiPhone; 02-15-2011 at 12:52 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone NOYB111's Avatar
    Thanks

DaveiPhone: Sounds like your set up is more inviolved than my needs. I guess it depends on your set up and in your situation it does sound like XBMC would make sense. I just look to stream movies I rip from a DVD so I am not really looking to store large quantities. Also ability to play AVI files I may download without having to convert. Maybe I will look into adding a NAS server. My hardwired ports are running low! I added a second router off my first router just for the ports. I run a Slingbox, Xbox, DirecTV DVR, Wii and a couple PC's hardwired.... I literally have like 15+ internet connected devices running and space is limited!

Thanks for the info and perspective.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Ok got it going Dave thanks so simple haha , right click on the folders on your pc where you want to share and atv2 will see it in the xbmc smb setting.
    Dvd image start buffer then quit sometimes crashing back to main apple tv screen, might be atv not powerful enough to run as my pc using xbmc can run the image.
    Its all so new just now things should pick up.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default I've found my answer - give up
    I have the first Apple TV and have been chasing the dream of running Boxee, XBMC, on an Apple TV for years now. I rekindled it again last month with the ATV2 jailbreak and have been messing around with XBMC on it and also on my iPad and iPhone. It always ends the same. You set it all up, it works well, it crashes, you update, you fix 2 things then break 2 things. Over and over its always the same thing. Don't get me wrong, when it works its great. It's the day to day crap I just can't do anymore. All the time I've spent trying to troubleshoot this I may as well of just converted a TB drive full of video and I'd still be sane.
    I'll tell you the secret for the best quality and stability. You can run Boxee, Hulu Desktop, XBMC, Plex(?)+++. Use you old computer or buy an older one. You can get a P4 3ghz pc for $75 and add a better graphics card (hdmi out/dvi to hdmi) for a total of $100. (check GEARXS.com). Swap out fans if its too loud(+adjust speeds in bios) and spray paint it for the wife. Everything works. Very well. Save your sanity. I use this same PC to do my converting. It's my Mule.
    I love to hack and tinker as much as anyone here, but the amount of time over the years I've spent on it is too hard to calculate.

I haven't given up totally. It's just not ready yet.
    The iPad 2 was announced today and I still stand by what I said.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Ive found that if you turn off atv2 after using it you should have less problems when using it again.