+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Pre-purchase question

is a discussion within the

AppleTV

forums, a part of the

Mac Hardware

section;
My movies are stored on a 4TB NAS that has a DLNA Server (Its a Buffalo 4TB LinkStation Quad if it matters). My Xbox 360 can successfully connect and stream
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Default Pre-purchase question
    My movies are stored on a 4TB NAS that has a DLNA Server (Its a Buffalo 4TB LinkStation Quad if it matters). My Xbox 360 can successfully connect and stream movie. It also has an iTunes Server that streams 1000+ songs.

They vary from standard AVIs, WMVs and some MPEGs.

Are the AppleTVs DLNA Compliant?

Will they stream AVIs and DivX content from a DLNA Server?

If no, is there a jailbreak for the current version? I have a Mac that also has Win7, so I can run any software.

So far, all the suggestions I've seen are for Plex, which isn't possible because my Macbook Pro goes with me everywhere (hence why I bought the NAS). I'd prefer to keep the stock Apple GUI for NetFlix.

Thanks in advance for advice! I'm a seasoned jailbreaker when it comes to iPhones, iTouches and iPads, but this will be my first AppleTV.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,141 Times in 891 Posts

XBMC is out for Jailbroken ATVs. That may work for you. But the current greenposion doesn't work for the ATV. It was tweeted that RC6 will work for it but he has to finish it up.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

To expand on Cer0's answer a bit, I use my jailbroken ATV with XBMC and a Synology DS211j NAS, and it works beautifully, especially when paired with XBMC Commander on the iPad. It's played every format I've tried.

XBMC Commander for iPad on the iTunes App Store

That said, the tethered jailbreak is a bit more involved than a regular one, so unless you have a laptop or computer that you can easily move to the ATV location when it needs rebooting, you may want to hold off for the untethered version.

For more info:

XBMC for IOS
    Last edited by DaveiPhone; 02-10-2011 at 10:00 AM.