Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Just bought ATV, quick question(s)...

Default Just bought ATV, quick question(s)...
    Is it possible to stream my desktop to the Apple TV pod to display on my TV?

If not, would there be an alternative solution and has all the capabilities (if not, most) of Apple TV?

There is a discontinued Netgear wireless media system, that I believe might perform the trick I need it to, but it's $190 for that, a whole $90 more than ATV.

Netgear EVA700 Digital Multimedia Receiver. Maybe it does not stream my desktop.... anyone?!?

New here, but very technical and background with electronics.

Thanks in advance!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

wmubronco (01-18-2011)

Quote Originally Posted by x98car View Post
    No it's not possible to do that unfortunately.
    Thanks for the quick reply. I heard iOS 4.3 beta might have the functionality? Shed some light?

If the new OS does not work, what other products are available that could eliminate my VGA output wire?

Thanks
    Thanked 15,551 Times in 7,110 Posts

I havent heard 4.3 having that feature, but it would be a cool one to have. I'm not sure what device may be able to do that.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

If you Jailbreak your ATV you can install plex media server on both your desktop and the apple TV. As long as your mac is on the same network and the plex server is running the apple tv will play any media that plex can find on your mac. I just did this to mine and LOVE IT!

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

Plex media server is a must!

Quote Originally Posted by ThaNatrix View Post
    If you Jailbreak your ATV you can install plex media server on both your desktop and the apple TV. As long as your mac is on the same network and the plex server is running the apple tv will play any media that plex can find on your mac. I just did this to mine and LOVE IT!
    Really? Very interesting and definitely want to give this a try. The unfortunate part is I am on a PC running Windows. I haven't dug into the research too much for Plex Media Server, but not sure if it's available for Windows?

Help.....

Yeah, but check out XBMC! Plex is a bit prettier, but with XBMC, there's no transcoding and no need to run a server on your computer. I'm really loving it.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveiPhone View Post
    Yeah, but check out XBMC! Plex is a bit prettier, but with XBMC, there's no transcoding and no need to run a server on your computer. I'm really loving it.
    Researched a bit for XBMC, and did not come across anything that says it can stream my desktop to ATV, did I miss it?

Looks like XBMC will only play music and videos from iPhone or computer, but not the full desktop display...

wmubronco-

If you're on a PC just set up a shared folder with your media in it. Assuming you have a decent network, and your ATV is on the same network, XBMC can stream right out of that shared folder. Just go to Videos->Add Source->Browse->and then choose Windows network (SMB) to add your PC's shared media.

It's not the simplest thing to set up (particularly if your shared folders are on OSX Server), but it works really well once you get the hang of it. I've also started playing videos on my iPad that way instead of using AirVideo or OPlayer. It works really well.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveiPhone View Post
    And it will run dvd image you have on your main pc saving wasting dvds.