+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: New to ATV Jail Break

is a discussion within the

AppleTV

forums, a part of the

Mac Hardware

section;
I have an iPad and Iphone that I have jail broke, but I have not done this with ATV yet. I have one on order that will arrive in the
    iPhone? More like MyPhone NOYB111's Avatar
    Thanks

Default New to ATV Jail Break
    I have an iPad and Iphone that I have jail broke, but I have not done this with ATV yet. I have one on order that will arrive in the next couple days so I am reading up on it! I figure the very first thing I will do is plug it in and fire up Tiny Umbrella to save the blobs for whatever version comes on it. Not sure if the new ATV will come with the latest firmware or something older. Never the less I will be covered as best I can.

Now what is throwing me off is the fact that there is only a tethered JB currently. If you lose the JB when you lose power, how do you JB and hook it back up? Its my understanding that when you hook ATV to your MAC with the mini USB you do NOT plug it in to a power supply. So if you are not plugged in and you JB it, how do you unhook it from your MAC and then fire it up?

Do I need to actually bring my laptop to the ATV and leave it plugged in to a power supply while I JB it? I am sure I would figure this out with trial and error once it arrives, but since I have the time to ask the questions, why not!

What is the latest tools and versions to use for all of this? I see some conflicting information. Again this will be a brand new one with whatever version they are currently shipping on it for firmware.

Thanks!
    Last edited by NOYB111; 01-03-2011 at 12:55 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NOYB111 View Post
    I have an iPad and Iphone that I have jail broke, but I have not done this with ATV yet. I have one on order that will arrive in the next couple days so I am reading up on it! I figure the very first thing I will do is plug it in and fire up Tiny Umbrella to save the blobs for whatever version comes on it. Not sure if the new ATV will come with the latest firmware or something older. Never the less I will be covered as best I can.

Now what is throwing me off is the fact that there is only a tethered JB currently. If you lose the JB when you lose power, how do you JB and hook it back up? Its my understanding that when you hook ATV to your MAC with the mini USB you do NOT plug it in to a power supply. So if you are not plugged in and you JB it, how do you unhook it from your MAC and then fire it up?

Do I need to actually bring my laptop to the ATV and leave it plugged in to a power supply while I JB it? I am sure I would figure this out with trial and error once it arrives, but since I have the time to ask the questions, why not!

What is the latest tools and versions to use for all of this? I see some conflicting information. Again this will be a brand new one with whatever version they are currently shipping on it for firmware.

Thanks!
    From what I can tell, you won't have the proper SHSH's anyway... I have one that's at 4.2.1 straight from the store (got it before Christmas) and I think I'm boned until the next JB comes out...

Thanks

Mine just arrived and first thing I did was connect it to my MAC and Tiny Umbrella. I saved the SHSH but they are at 4.2.1. There are tethered JB for 4.2.1 I just dont know if its worth the trouble.
    Last edited by NOYB111; 01-05-2011 at 02:14 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NOYB111 View Post
    Mine just arrived and first thing I did was connect it to my MAC and Tiny Umbrella. I saved the SHSH but they are at 4.2.1. There are tethered JB for 4.2.1 I just dont know if its worth the trouble.
    WIthout needing the 4.2b3 SHSH's and firmware?

Thanks

I assume so... I have gotten as far as creating my custom firmware but can't get into DFU mode...

Jailbreak Apple TV 4.2.1 with PwnageTool [How to Guide] | Redmond Pie

That is the link.