Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple tv vs roku

Default Apple tv vs roku
    I want to get my wife something netflix capable for xmas and I am debating between these two. What advantages will jail breaking offer? Is there a list of jailbreak features or app? Any speculation on what might be available soon?

Right now the jailbreak apps are limited to Plex and NitoTV. But hopefully some will not be far away.

But if you have a Mac then Plex makes a great media streamer of the items on your comp that are not in iTunes format.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Cer0 For This Useful Post:

Lintrix (11-17-2010)

Is it possible to stream something like Hulu from a mac with plex?

Yes, they have the free shows in the list of online streams. Well it can for the iPad but haven't looked if the hulu plugin works on the appletv.

I own both. The Roku can do both Netflix and Hulu Plus quite well, while the ATV cannot yet do Hulu Plus in any useable way. If the ATV is jailbroken, it can run Plex which can relay Hulu Plus, but the quality is so poor that it's not something I'd ever use. for the non-technical person who just wants to stream those services, Roku is the better choice right now, since it's cheaper and also offers more output options. The ATV requires an HDMI input.

The ATV has some significant advantages though.
    If you have a Mac on the same network as the ATV, you can stream iTunes and iPhoto compatible media to the ATV. Music, iTunes playlists, movies in mp4 format, and photos can all be streamed with full quality.
    If you have a jailbroken iOS 4.2.x device running the AirVideoEnabler hack, you can also stream divX and other avi movies via the AirVideo app with surprisingly good quality. If you also install the Air Home Video hack, you can also then stream movies you've taken on your iPhone directly to the ATV.

If you have a jailbreaken ATV, you can run things like Plex, Couch surfer, NitoTV as well, but the currently available jailbreak is only useful with the original ATV firmware (referred to by some as 4.0 and others as 4.1). Right now I prefer unjailbroken upgraded firmware ATV, because Airplay is much more useful to me than the currenly available hacks. That will likely change as the ATV jailbreak scene evolves.

Lastly, the user interface is far more polished on the ATV. Some folks don't care about that, to others it's a big deal.

Hope that helps.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to DaveiPhone For This Useful Post:

Gr4v1ty (12-14-2010)