+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: AppleTV forgets wifi password

is a discussion within the

AppleTV

forums, a part of the

Mac Hardware

section;
Hey guys, does the ATV just not remember wifi passwords? I can connect it to my 2.4 or 5 connection and it is always forgetting how to connect. Secured via
    iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Default AppleTV forgets wifi password
    Hey guys, does the ATV just not remember wifi passwords? I can connect it to my 2.4 or 5 connection and it is always forgetting how to connect. Secured via WPA2.

Any ideas?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Same issue here. Only happened after jailbroken. It'll remember the password as long as its on. Once I restart the appletv it forgets the wifi password.

Also AirPlay speaker is set to off by default. Its really not that big of an issue, just don't restart the appletv as much.

iPhone? More like MyPhone katmeef's Avatar
    Thanks

im noticing this now as well

Thanks
    Thanked 1,141 Times in 891 Posts

Some say a restore helps fix this. Others say you need to change the wifi channel because something may be interfering with it.

I would try a change in the channel first. Also after a wake it takes a few second for it to find the network. So give it a second and it will load.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Not sure what would be interfering with the 5Ghz channel... and the 2.4 is on channel 2... none of the nearby routers are lower than channel 6 (in fact, they are all set on channel 6 )

Nevertheless, I'll give it a shot when I get home, then restore again if all else fails. FYI it forgot the passwords before I jailbroke. I even tried it at work with our work router, and it would forget that one too after being powered down and back on.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,141 Times in 891 Posts

When I first got mine it would keep forgetting my shared itunes library on wake. I did a restore and that fixed that but then I had the wifi issue. I then restored again and set my wifi channel higher on my router and no longer had issue. So I was never really sure which one solved it.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I set my channel to 10 (was 2 actually) so I'll see if that works. We had a Halloween party this weekend that we've been preparing for so I haven't had time to really test it.

iPhone? More like MyPhone katmeef's Avatar
    Thanks

tried:
    1) changed to less utilized channel on ap (didn't help)
    2) restore to the same pwnagetool cfw, after restore associated atv to my .11A ssid instead of my .11G, and reinstalled NitoTV (didn't help)

I've been able to recreate it a couple times by rebooting my router&AP. (they take a few minutes to come back online after) After the reboot, my mac's may or may not automatically reconnect - worse case i turn the airport off and on again... But the atv seems to get lost and i have to tell it again which SSID to use and re-enter the password afterwards.

I guess I'll try a non-jailbroke image and see if the problem persists. <edit< so far so good with the stock apple image, if it lasts a couple days i'll jailbreak without nitoTV and monitor a couple more..
    Last edited by katmeef; 11-02-2010 at 02:29 PM.