+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple TV 2g jailbreak development discussion forums?

is a discussion within the

AppleTV

forums, a part of the

Mac Hardware

section;
I get my Apple TV today finally and I plan on jailbreaking it first thing I do. I realize there is hardly ANY support out there so far for it,
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Default Apple TV 2g jailbreak development discussion forums?
    I get my Apple TV today finally and I plan on jailbreaking it first thing I do.

I realize there is hardly ANY support out there so far for it, so I'm curious if anyone can suggest some good discussion forums for jailbroken Apple TV's.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

i would stay right here my friend. there isnt much bc it is brand new to the JB community . Give it some time and you will be just fine on this site.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I figured here and hackint0sh were probably the best places to start. I've been here for quite some time for my iPhone/iPad, but now I'm venturing into the ATV world and thought perhaps there were broader horizons I didnt know about.

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

There is one app available, NitoTV, and it hasn't even been publicly released yet. It's going to take a bit of time until things become automated like Cydia and the iPhone.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    There is one app available, NitoTV, and it hasn't even been publicly released yet. It's going to take a bit of time until things become automated like Cydia and the iPhone.
    I completely understand. I bought the launch iPad, so I know how it can take a while to come out with software. Not to mention I also bought a PS3Key (PS3 'jailbreak') device and the community is very good at what they do, but its a small community compared to iPhone.

Perhaps if I also share my questions from hackint0sh some of you can answer them for me since nobody has replied to me on hackint0sh:

Quote Originally Posted by TylerC161 View Post
    Greetings all,

My name is Tyler and I just signed up today. I'm very familire with iPhone and iPad and their respective jailbreaks and whatnot. After the release of the new jailbreak for ATV 2g, I plan to purchase one later today.

I cant seem to find a solid answer on a couple of questions though I have about the product in general.

First, I realize it must use the itunes library to be able to stream the videos to the box, my question is; will it play unpurchased content? Such as movies I have on the hard drive that I add to my iTunes library, will my ATV be able to stream these?

Secondly, if it will stream unpurchased content; will it stream mvk/divx/xvid movies? Or if you could just provide me with a list of all supported formats, that would answer my question.

Thirdly, what are some forums that have alot of discussion about the new 2g TV, app support, jailbreak support, hacks, etc? I figured hackint0sh is probably one of the best since I've lurked here before for other reasons, but I want to be able to have access to as much information as possible.

Thank you for your time

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    hope i can answer these for you

Quote Originally Posted by TylerC161 View Post
    First, I realize it must use the itunes library to be able to stream the videos to the box, my question is; will it play unpurchased content? Such as movies I have on the hard drive that I add to my iTunes library, will my ATV be able to stream these?
    :
    Yes, but only in the itunes format mp4/m4v, just add it to your library.

Secondly, if it will stream unpurchased content; will it stream mvk/divx/xvid movies? Or if you could just provide me with a list of all supported formats, that would answer my question.
    As above, at the moment it will only stream itunes compatible movies (by this is dont mean any movies that will play in tunes with the assistance of a third party plugin. with MKV's i use MKV Tools to repackage the container, and works really well. With other formats, you'll need to re-encode with something like handbrake, which unfortunatley takes time, ive reverted to only sourcing MKV's since moving to ATV, but would love to hear from anyone who knows of a quick way of re-encoding

just waiting for those all important apps! Plex on the ATV would rule!

hope that helps.

Thanks

ok so for those of us on Windows can we just restore our atv 2g using a custom ipsw?

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by charlieboy1 View Post
    Plex on the ATV would rule!
    It's on the ATV2 now, and yes it does rule!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 888 Posts

+1. Love Plex for both my ATV and iPad.

Livin the iPhone Life javiert30's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cer0 View Post
    +1. Love Plex for both my ATV and iPad.
    I love it to on my ATV... working perfect and easier to install than before.
    Drive Safe with Trapster
    Speedtrap App