Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Trouble with Jailbreaking ATV 2G

Default Trouble with Jailbreaking ATV 2G [Fixed]
    Hey guys, I've been having some really strange troubles jailbreaking my AppleTV 2G.

I've been using jailbreaking tools for quite some time now and i feel that i'm fairly knowledgeable in this area, but i really need some expert advice now.

I've gone through the jailbreaking process with PT 4.1: Loading up the correct ATV FW, tried simple & expert modes, tried to expert mode and selecting OpenSSH, using PT to DFU to trick iTunes, and restoring the custom firmware on iTunes successfully with no errors. I've restored firmware on my ATV more than 10 times and i still cannot figure out if the thing is jailbroken or not. And yes, i made sure that i restored the custom firmware and not the original one.

When I try to SSH into the ATV, I get a response like this:
    Code:
    $ ssh -vvv [email protected]
    OpenSSH_5.2pl, OpenSSL 0.9.8k 25 Mar 2009
    debug1: Reading configuration data /etc/ssh/ssh_config
    debug1: Applying options for *
    debug2: ssh_connect: needpriv 0
    debug1: Connecting to apple-tv.local [fe80::5a55:caff:fe18:46e5%en0] port 22.
    debug1: Connection established.
    debug1: identity file /var/mobile/.ssh/identity type -1
    debug1: identity file /var/mobile/.ssh/id_rsa type -1
    debug1: identity file /var/mobile/.ssh/id_dsa type -1
    ssh_exchange_identification: Connection closed by remote host
    $
    I've tried to SSH from my Macbook, PC, and both my iPhones and come up with the same result. I'm able to SSH to my iPhones and other server no problem so i really don't think its client side.

Since the ATV accepted the connection on port 22, it makes me think that something was installed there, but maybe there may be some permission errors?

I'm having trouble understanding whats causing this issue. Is my ATV 2G jailbroken?

Any help in this area is greatly appreciated!

UPDATE: Looks like PwnageTool 4.1.2 has fixed the issue for me. Not sure what they've changed, but my ATV2G is now successfully jailbroken!
    Last edited by Lintrix; 10-22-2010 at 06:44 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

The ssh address should be the IP address. not
    apple-tv.local.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Assuming using iSSH on iPhone>

Add Configuration
    Description: ATV (or whatever you want to call it)
    Host: IP address of appletv, probably 192.168.x.x (you can find it on appletv while it's running under settings)
    Port: Default (leave as is)
    Login: root
    Password: Ask every time (for the first run, it will be alpine)

Save, Select the Config you just created, and let it connect. It will say something about a Key, accept it. Enter the password (alpine).

Type: passwd

Enter your new password twice.

Then type: passwd mobile

You've just changed the default passwords for the root and mobile accounts.

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    The ssh address should be the IP address. not
    apple-tv.local.
    Thanks for the reply, Poseidon! I usually do SSH through the IP address but i was having trouble. I discovered that some people were able to successfully SSH through the host apple-tv.local. It actually points to the ATV too!

Assuming using iSSH on iPhone>

Add Configuration
    Description: ATV (or whatever you want to call it)
    Host: IP address of appletv, probably 192.168.x.x (you can find it on appletv while it's running under settings)
    Port: Default (leave as is)
    Login: root
    Password: Ask every time (for the first run, it will be alpine)

Save, Select the Config you just created, and let it connect. It will say something about a Key, accept it. Enter the password (alpine).

Type: passwd

Then type: passwd mobile

You've just changed the default passwords for the root and mobile accounts.
    Thanks for the help, but It doesn't even get a chance to ask for the key.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Just in case it is user error, try jailbreaking with pwnage using simple mode. It will install SSH by default.

FYI I can confirm apple-tv.local works like a charm!

Also, you could try scanning your network with something like snap (for iphone) and look for open ports. I found my ATV and sure enough, port 22 was open.
    Last edited by z6joker9; 10-21-2010 at 02:27 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by z6joker9 View Post
    Just in case it is user error, try jailbreaking with pwnage using simple mode. It will install SSH by default.

FYI I can confirm apple-tv.local works like a charm!

Also, you could try scanning your network with something like snap (for iphone) and look for open ports. I found my ATV and sure enough, port 22 was open.
    Thank you for your feedback. I actually tried in both simple and expert mode to no avail. I can SSH to anything else in my network except for the AppleTV. =(

Edit: I used Snap and it found SSH service available for the AppleTV aka port 22 is open.

I fear it may be a configuration error with the SSHD that PwnageTool installed =(

Quick question, does PwnageTool automatically install afc2add? Can you use iFunBox to view your ATV2 through USB cord?
    Last edited by Lintrix; 10-21-2010 at 06:07 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I can't SSH to my Apple TV either. I can see that port 22 is open but it's refusing the password. Tried alpine and Alpine dozens of times.

Quote Originally Posted by FoneWeasel View Post
    I can't SSH to my Apple TV either. I can see that port 22 is open but it's refusing the password. Tried alpine and Alpine dozens of times.
    Is it refusing the password or is it getting stuck on the key part?

I've actually hooked my ATV up to iFunBox and it said it is still Jailed. =\
    Last edited by Lintrix; 10-21-2010 at 07:35 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

try using cyberduck. it worked for me first time!

Quote Originally Posted by bftiedt View Post
    try using cyberduck. it worked for me first time!
    Thanks for your feedback. I'm not sure what you mean by using cyberduck. iFunBox works, it just states that the device is still jailed.

Is nobody else having this problem? Is my PT not cooking the jailbroken IPSW? I've restored my ATV2G probably over 15 times not without a hitch - each time making SURE that i've selected the Custom Firmware. I also know how to use afc2 and SSH, as i've done on my iPhone plenty of times.

I honestly don't think PT is creating a "jailbroken" ipsw for me... =(

UPDATE: Looks like PwnageTool 4.1.2 has fixed the issue for me. Not sure what they've changed, but my ATV2G is now successfully jailbroken!
    Last edited by Lintrix; 10-22-2010 at 06:44 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost