+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Quick question about the new Apple TV

is a discussion within the

AppleTV

forums, a part of the

Mac Hardware

section;
Hey guys I hoping someone out there that has there hands on the new Apple Tv can help answer my question here. I am trying to make up my mind
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Default Quick question about the new Apple TV
    Hey guys I hoping someone out there that has there hands on the new Apple Tv can help answer my question here. I am trying to make up my mind if I want to get one or not but cant find the answer to the question that is going to make or break the deal for me. I usually buy a lot of tv shows through itunes and just watch them on my computer. I know with the old apple tv you could store shows to the device to watch anytime you want. With the new apple tv are they mainly wanting to concentrate on streaming content and not saving it locally (on the device) , or will you have the option of buying the show and saving it to the apple tv itself for later viewing. I just dont want to buuy one if all I can do is rent shows and movies , stream the once and then they are gone . I hope I explained myself well enough to get an answer . Thanks in advance guys.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,133 Times in 883 Posts

Apple is pushing to have no local storage. But if you bought the show then you can stream it any time through iTunes.

When or if a jailbreak comes out then there may be a possibility to store some items on it but it only has 8 gig of space.

SB should be in shortly to answer anymore lol. Check his tweets too. It has become AppleTV love.

Thanks

So would I have to buy through iTunes on my mac , download it then stream it to the apple TV? Or could I just buy directly from the Apple TV and watch it anytime on the device itself? hope that makes sense.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,133 Times in 883 Posts

I know rentals can go be directly from the ATV but as for buying I haven't seen that in any demo vids I seen. I am still trying to hunt one down in a store around here.

Thanks

So far I don't see an option to buy content and then download to your computer. Looks like buying on the computer and then streaming it to the ATV is the only way for now.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cer0 View Post
    I know rentals can go be directly from the ATV but as for buying I haven't seen that in any demo vids I seen. I am still trying to hunt one down in a store around here.
    my apple store has some. I wouldnt mind picking one up for you for cost + shipping if you cant find one in your area.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bftiedt View Post
    So would I have to buy through iTunes on my mac , download it then stream it to the apple TV? Or could I just buy directly from the Apple TV and watch it anytime on the device itself? hope that makes sense.
    On 4.1 you have to buy on iTunes and stream to ATV. You can't buy anything on ATV itself. They are only renting options.