+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: AppleTV Dead?

is a discussion within the

AppleTV

forums, a part of the

Mac Hardware

section;
I was reading an article about an LG Electronics Blu-ray player that will soon be recieving High Definition Streaming from NetFlix (read the article here ). Very interesting, I believe
    Thanks

Default AppleTV Dead?
    I was reading an article about an LG Electronics Blu-ray player that will soon be recieving High Definition Streaming from NetFlix (read the article here).

Very interesting, I believe Apple will need to do something / offer more soon, or will be soon replaced by systems like this... Now I know that this particular LG unit does not do all the things that the AppleTV can do - but its only a matter of time (and more updates) that it probably will.

It does appear that people would like to have a "central unit" to control and hold all of their media, so it will be interesting in the next few years to watch the different companies compete to get into our homes.

What are some things that you think are missing currently or that you would like to see released from the AppleTV?

Thanks

AppleTv is useless in my eyes. The financial difference between that and a mac mini is not enough to warrant the lack of features.

If i was looking for a media hub i would get a cheap desktop i.e. mac mini or windows similar and hook it up to my hd tv using digital input.
    The Original Autobot of MMi
    Jesus couldn't turn into a fire engine

LOL -> "Winterboard does not interfere at all with my performance."

Suck it up, Sucker

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,274 Times in 652 Posts

They just need to abandon the product.

Thanks

I know some people have suggested that they merge the AppleTV and the Mac Mini into one product, not sure if that would achieve what people want... but it would be interesting. I had forgotten that Xbox can also stream Netflix movies, not sure if you can get HD version through it though. Heres an old article talking about the partnership: Xbox.com | Xbox News - Xbox 360 and Netflix Team Up

There have been others suggesting that Apple get into the gaming market by releasing their own Game Console. Although, I don't see this happening - I would buy it in a heart beat. And it would most likely absorb the Apple TV as well.

Not sure, I wonder if we will see any updates for it at Mac World..?

Thanks

Merge them? i am a bit naive because ive never owned an apple tv, but have looked into them a TINY bit.

it just seems they are a mac mini with only itunes and iphoto? on my mac mini, i download HD films for free and then watch them with HD playback on my tv. the only thing lacking is surround sound output, but im sure there is some way of getting that to work out there.

just wondered exactly what the apple tv can do that the mini cant? i think they should ditch the apple tv and revamp the mini.

the appletv looks like a bridge between using your tv and your computer monitor, as everyone used to, but now LCD + Plasma TVs are out with digital input/vga input it is much easier to hook your mac/pc up to your tv. looks to me that appletv was just released so apple could exploit this bridge, but many people are now realising that your computer can be run through their brand new tv, easily.

as for the games console, i would expect apple to AGAIN revolutionize gaming consoles by building an application in snow leopard that when your macbook/imac is plugged into your tv can be run, and is like booting up your 360. it is a games console, and you can download games to the harddrive, play your already bought itunes games, possibly a bluetooth apple gaming controller (which could also maybe work with the iPhone). so many possibilities and i know that im gonna be surprised when its released even if i speculate with the craziest ideas.

Suck it up, Sucker

Thanks

I love my AppleTV. If you want to use an AppleTV as a computer, it just requires a couple of mods, and you will have OS X up and running on it in no time.
    http://modmyi.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=303541&dateline=12514  03473

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

The Xbox 360 also does streaming of Netflix (minus sony titles.... sooooo funny!!!!) Apple TV was a stupid idea in my opinion anyway. If they added the technology into their iMacs and maybe MacBooks then it would be useful. As it sits right now it is a piece of junk.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chase817 View Post
    I love my AppleTV. If you want to use an AppleTV as a computer, it just requires a couple of mods, and you will have OS X up and running on it in no time.
    but for a tiny bit more you could buy a notebook and install OS X onto it with a couple of mods.

Suck it up, Sucker

Thanks

Default Apple Working on a Mac-based Home Server?
    So, there was a rumor reported by "9to5mac" that suggest Apple is going to enhance there time capsule product to be a home server featuring direct connectivity to Itunes, MobileMe and other wireless features... It would be an interesting product to tie their Apple TV into as well. I could see this super product, containing and sharing with all the computers & TV's in my house, my music, videos, photos, files, etc not to mention using its back-up functions through time machine. Obv. it would need some heavy encryption behind it but its a very interesting thought.

Probably won't see something like this at MacWorld but I will definitely be watching MMi's live feed just in case..: )

Click HERE to read full story...

iPhone? More like MyPhone editwizard's Avatar
    Thanks

To me, AppleTV is all about simplicity. The interface is really nice with simple clean access to your iTunes library. I imagine people's opinion of it compare directly to their opinion of iTunes and how much they use it or don't use it. I have probably 40GB of music, tv shows and movies that I've purchased, encoded from CDs or DVDs or produced myself. I also keep all my photos organized in iPhoto so I could use the heck out of it.

I just had a couple hundred bucks to blow on a new gadget and was considering an AppleTV but right now I don't think the features for the cost are there. If it allowed easy streaming content (even better than Boxee offers) AND supported 1080i or 1080p HD at the current price of $200-300 I'd have one right now.

Boxee is really cool though and nearly convinced me to buy one and mod it... but to me the modding runs counter to the simplicity and elegance of it. Mac Mini is more than I want to spend on a HD/media server as well so for now I just bought an Apple Airport Express so that I can at least stream music to the living room stereo and remote control it with my iPhone.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default hiiiii
    i love my Apple TV very much.

Thanks

I just got one refurbished. Reason is I was hesitating about it, but! I don't have cable TV at the moment because I'm a college student and nobody really watches tv at home. Now that you can watch episodes online, although you have to wait for downloads, its good enough for me to have an appletv with the mods like boxee to watch "TV" until i have more time for actual TV later. I do like the concept of a central media station though.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I love my AppleTV. Once I got hd videos encoding properly I can't live without. The price, the portability and the size are what makes it. A Macmini is another level. I understand people not seeing the benefit as I was one for a long time but, now that I have it, I love it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chase817 View Post
    I love my Apple Tv, but it looks like it will be obsolete.
    How can i Mod it to access the osx?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

WTF is it?