+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Convince Me

is a discussion within the

AppleTV

forums, a part of the

Mac Hardware

section;
Ive been reading about this product for a little while, I havent been able to speak to anyone who owns or has used this. They priced it right, but I
    iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Question Convince Me
    Ive been reading about this product for a little while, I havent been able to speak to anyone who owns or has used this. They priced it right, but I dont know how useful it would be. Surely the same things can be done using outputs from your computer or directly from your phone thats really half the cost. Its a one-stop shop regarding movies and your favorite TV shows but so is my DV-R. I guess the difference is for those who dont qualify for Satellite or Cable DVR service (credit-wise) this may be somewhat of an alternative.

My next concern is the quality of the output. The movies that youve downloaded through them or yourself will obviously have the quality to show properly but what about those streaming videos as they mentioned like the YouTube vids or some of the podcasts.

I also see that Apple offers the AirPort Extreme for use in conjuction with Apple TV for syncing or streaming at a blazing fast speed! there's an extra jingle to the price tag... I dunno im not sold anyone try this yet?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I do like Apple TV but I wouldn't go for it, not for now. Wait until Apple adds the recording to work on the Apple TV then it would be worth your money. I don't see that happening soon but who knows? Apple TV is perfect for anyone with Mac OS who loves looking through pictures which has a Mac account to view their Mac gallery, who also loves watching movies so much that they often rent/buy it from iTunes, or build up a library containing their favorite songs to play - they can be used to show off the Apple TV collection (movies, pictures, songs) to whoever comes into their room like their friends. Great for catching up on missed episodes on the TV show but since you have DVR, it seems almost pointless. ALMOST. If I were you, I would say I'm not sold too. The price tag is little much than it should be. The same goes with VuDu. =P Best bet is wait until the Apple TV gets an awesome upgrade or something like that.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to greenrocks For This Useful Post:

Muggz5 (09-09-2008)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I actually really like my apple TV and would recommend it.

Things I like. I can play my music library w/o bothering my my PC's at all. If you live in a house it's nice to have a self contained unit next to your TV and stereo. it's great for entertaining as you use the slide show while playing music. (makes for a good environment instead of everyone focusing on the tube.)

I like renting movies directly from the Apple TV, but i have to mention, if you are in the mood for a movie now, don't bother with HD movies unless you got a 5mb+ internet connection.

People will say you can do all this with aiport express and you can do this with your computer hooked up to your TV. But if you are like me you will not want to have to screw with you PC, or make sure it's on, ect. You just want to turn the TV/Stereo and the Apple TV and have it going.

For kids, i think an apple TV is invaluable. Put all your baby/kid dvd's on the apple TV and never have to shuffle though the stacks of DVD's again.

Also make sure you have a digital in available on your reciever as it's capable of putting out Dolby 5.1 on movies.

For me it's just pure connivence. It wont' give you anything you can't do with a little jerry rigging and your computer. But it's clean looking box that gives you access to your media library with very little hassle.
    If i say something stupid I apologize. If i say something smart: "RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH".
    And if i help you, please hit the Thanks!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to cartman13 For This Useful Post:

Muggz5 (02-06-2010)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 730 Posts

Apple TV is an Apple cash cow, if you just want HD, go with EYETV.
    Screw #Winning, I'm #Juanning
    iMac 27" i5 quad 2.8Ghz (1TB), MacBook Pro 17" 2.6, iPhone 4s

7. The Following User Says Thank You to one1 For This Useful Post:

Muggz5 (02-06-2010)

Thanks

ok, ive never understood apple tv?

maybe im missing a trick here so please correct me,

my mac mini is attached to my tv, i can download (either via itunes or from torrent sites) HD movies and watch them in HD, any movie and watch it.

i never turn my mac mini off, if i want to browse my music library/movies/photos i can use the wireless remote that came with it (exactly the same as the apple tv remote i think) and not have to touch my mouse or keyboard.

with the added extra (i believe its an extra) of picking up my wireless keyboard + mouse at my sofa and using os x as any other mac would, on my tv, excellent.

i wouldnt pay 200 for the functionality that i get from my remote alone, i cant believe anyone would pay this.

now, am i missing something with apple tv?
    The Original Autobot of MMi
    Jesus couldn't turn into a fire engine

LOL -> "Winterboard does not interfere at all with my performance."

Suck it up, Sucker

9. The Following User Says Thank You to reeko For This Useful Post:

Muggz5 (02-06-2010)

Thanks

I'm about as Apple as they come....and I'm not quite sold on the Apple TV setup either.

I have DirecTV with the older Tivo DVR built in tied to a A/V receiver that goes to a 1080p 42" monitor (that looks awesome tied to my MBP secondary outoput)...also have various other inputs to the A/V receiver. I just don't see adding an Apple TV to the mix and gaining anything.

So...I'm thinking of going the other direction....like a Slingbox or similar.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to hartphoto For This Useful Post:

Muggz5 (02-06-2010)

Thanks

ive been looking into slingbox..... but it doesnt come cheap, and it can hold out until the iphone support finally gets released.....

slingbox on your iphone ....... words cannot describe how good that would be

Suck it up, Sucker

Thanks

I'm beginning to wonder about the slingplayer for the iPhone, and if it'll make it to the App Store. It's not like they don't know what they are doing, so why isn't it here (wasn't it announced early 2008)? Maybe it doesn't meet the DevKit requirements? Or, maybe Apple is sidelining/steamrolling the app because they want to release something on their own?

Can you imagine if they released it for the jailbreak crowd? I think there would be a rush of new jailbreakers! Although I think they (slingbox that is) want it on the App Store....more exposure.

On the $ of the Slingbox.....I use an email subscription (like those on dealmac.com) to get alerts on good pricing on stuff like that. Slingbox, EyeTV and those types usually have specials during the MacWorld Expo show in January.

iPhone? More like MyPhone mtwiford's Avatar
    Thanks

I love mine, but I hacked it. Coming from apple its you kind of think "well anything can do that", but when you hack it you can put all of your dvd collection on it, downloaded movies, add nitro tv, order pizza (believe it or not), safari HD, and other hacks. The patch stick is easy to create to hack it and it allows you to ssh into the apple tv. I am going to do a hard drive upgrade soon so that I can put more movies on. I am going to put my whole dvd collection on it so that I can take it where ever I go and have all of my movies on it. HD quality is really nice on it as well.

......epic

15. The Following User Says Thank You to mtwiford For This Useful Post:

Muggz5 (02-06-2010)

Thanks

i was reluctant to buy the apple tv until recently. now that i have it i don't understand how i lived without. it's a slick device. that said, as others note, there are solutions in the marketplace that might be better for some people.

RE: Quality of content -- Yes, iTunes downloads look good with the Apple TV. Not to mention they're darn convenient.

RE: 802.11G -- Not needed. Sure, there's lag when on a G network but it's not a deal breaker. I start a download, go grab a nice cold beer and, when I return, I can begin watching.

RE: Hacking the ATV -- This is a must IMHO. Boxee is a slick hack.
    Last edited by mobilexile; 12-24-2008 at 07:07 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

17. The Following User Says Thank You to mobilexile For This Useful Post:

Muggz5 (02-06-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default I love my Apple TV
    I personally think it's worth it just for the movies. I seldom use it for anything else. I have 4 kids and have had more ruined DVDs than most people own! Even my 4 year old can navigate the ATV. I have converted almost 2/3rds of my DVD collection to h.264 and have virtually unlimited access to any movie in my collection through one tiny white remote (or my iPhone using the Remote App).

I own a hi top conversion van with a 24" lcd tv and 110v power outlets. Now instead of gathering up as many DVDs as I think I will need, all I have to do when I go on a trip is unhook my ATV and plug it in and my kids can watch enough movies to circumnavigate the globe and not watch the same one twice (even though I know they will) If They get tired of watching the movies loaded on the HD inside the ATV, I just change up the iTunes and resync a couple of hours before we leave.

I have even converted all my old VCR home movies to h.264 and now have instant access to any of my kid's antics. I'm sure there are other ways of doing all this, but I don't believe any are as convenient...besides...it's just cool!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to mcnatprice For This Useful Post:

Muggz5 (02-06-2010)

Thanks

Ok, as an update, i was looking for a way to mount my Drobo which is attached to my Airport base station at home, then be able to remotely access all my movies/tv series/music on slingplayer from anywhere.

Apple TV looked great. .AVI support does not come as standard, but hacking it opens it up to allot, most noticeable Boxee.

Boxee is amazing.

Now i have a setup where Boxee connects directly to my Drobo attached to the base station. No computers are on in the house and the ATV can stream all the .avi's i like from my Drobo. I can also control this remotely using a slingbox and slingplayer on my iPhone.

Tie this in with all of Boxees Applications i have remote access to a hell of allot of online content aswell.

ATV without Boxee = Bla

ATV WITH Boxee = A great home media solution

Suck it up, Sucker

iPhone? More like MyPhone djdraco's Avatar
    Thanks

An apple tv to me seems like a bit of a waste. Just my opinion. I've got an xbox 360 connected to my 50" plasma and it will stream pictures and audio to my tv as well as link my netflix account and that is way cheaper than having to rent everytime from I tunes. I also get HD out of it as well as a fiber optic line to run my 5.1 surround.
    Apple tv just seems like a bit much money for what all it does. Just my 2 cents.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to djdraco For This Useful Post:

Muggz5 (02-06-2010)

Thanks

I would probably agree if you have a 360 already, but an ATV running Boxee is a totally different machine.

It has access to so much online media (including netflix i believe?)

But ye, if you stick a stock ATV in the Apple iTunes loop then it is a waste of money i agree.

Suck it up, Sucker

iPhone? More like MyPhone djdraco's Avatar
    Thanks

Yeah, I mean its just my thought. I can't completely bash ATV since I don't have one. But I'm certain that the ATV doesn't ever run into the RROD (Red Ring of Death) issue like a 360 will.
    "Time circuits on...flux capacitor...(gulp)...fluxing"
    Please read again I only give one warning - thanks!

Thanks

I was bashing the ATV before. Now that I bought a refurbished one, its working great! I just gotta get rid of my clearwire internet connection because it really sucks in data speeds! Especially here in Mililani Hawaii. I'mma go with road runner since you can just buy the internet itself and it should be faster and better. I'm actually liking my ATV believe or not. I wouldn't buy movies on itunes. Just handbrake the movies you buy from walmart.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to imuscle74 For This Useful Post:

Muggz5 (02-06-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    My GF bought me an Apple TV for XMas. Honestly I would have never bought one for myself, but now that I have one I do love it.

There ARE things that annoy me about it though.

Love:
    -ATV streams my iTunes TV Show and Movie library from my bedroom Mac Mini beautifully.
    -ATV also syncs with my iTunes music library on my Mac Pro in the office so my music is always available in the living room.
    -ATV with the hacks loaded expand the functionality of the box tremendously - Boxee is wonderful for gathering all kinds of online internet streaming content and making it available right on the box
    -ATV has been a great set top box for parties - people are always talking about funny youTube clips they've seen, it's really fun to be able to bring them up on the big TV without going to the trouble to plug a lap top in and all that bother.

Things I don't love:
    -ATV wants to lock you into the Apple closed eco system - out of the box ATV will only support a very narrow band of file type - even though the hardware is capable of supporting a wide range of video files, including avi and divx, all you need are the proper codecs installed - you must hack to make it happen
    -No Netflix streaming - unfortunately the hardware is too underpowered (apparently) to handle netflix streaming. A true true shame.

Love/Hate:
    -Really, I love capturing my dvd collection to digital format, but I hate it too - its a pain to capture each dvd, and if you want the file to have some meaningfulness in your library you have to goto the trouble to write the meta data to the file as well - times x number of times if you are capturing a tv show season dvd - the work is tedious, but it is still rewarding. Of course if you hack it and use Boxee of Saphire the meta data issue gets a little easier, but this is not out of the box functionality.

Really though, the closed ecosystem is not so big a deal if you are already heavily leveraging the iTunes suite to manage your video and audio media in the first place.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to mustardParty For This Useful Post:

Muggz5 (02-06-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I have a 360, modded xbox1 running xbmc and a AppleTV. All have benefits and I won't knock any. Where appleTV shines is in it's portability, it's price and it's simplicity. I have it loaded with kids movies (720p capable) and a few of my own. For trips you only need this tiny box, a spare hdmi and the tiny power cable.

The hacks provide a whole other range of advantage. Now, sure a MacMini is beefier but I can supply my whole house with networked AppleTVs for the cost of 1 MacMini (approximate).

My only point is not to knock it until you check it out. It's not a bad product and while more function is always better, I don't think this needs anything more for what it is. Sub 200$ would be nice of course and maybe out of the box usb support for storage (though available via ***).

30. The Following User Says Thank You to wadam1230 For This Useful Post:

Muggz5 (02-06-2010)

What's Jailbreak? Entertainment72's Avatar
    Thanks
    All Apple TV needs is the ability to stream HD Audio - DTS-HD MA or TrueHD along with 1080p picture then my system would be complete. I know it would be a bandwidth hogger but one can wish .

New user here hello. Btw I don't know if its me but this site is slooooow.
    Last edited by Entertainment72; 01-25-2010 at 08:15 AM.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Entertainment72 For This Useful Post:

Muggz5 (02-06-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone iphone4idiots's Avatar
    Thanks

I have one iMac that is two rooms away from my main TV. I was thinking Apple TV might be a good solution.

I'm thinking of 1st generation 40GB from Ebay. Why would that be a bad idea? Since you can delete files that has to hold at least 15 movies even in HD. So what does the 160GB offer other than extra space I don't really need???
    I thought my carrier was bad til I got a new web host

34. The Following User Says Thank You to iphone4idiots For This Useful Post:

Muggz5 (02-06-2010)