+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: question regarding any GPS app for iphone that will work w/o data or wi-fi connection

is a discussion within the

Apple AppStore App Discussion

forums, a part of the

3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touch

section;
Hi all, I recently bought an Android tablet which will work w/o a wi-fi connection (on the road) due to having an internal GPS radio. I bought an app for
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Default question regarding any GPS app for iphone that will work w/o data or wi-fi connection
    Hi all,
    I recently bought an Android tablet which will work w/o a wi-fi connection (on the road) due to having an internal GPS radio. I bought an app for it to allow this to happen and it works nicely. I'd like to know if there is an app that I can buy that will allow the iphone 4 to do this. Not sure if the iphone has an internal GPS radio (only read that it has an internal GPS receiver to locate your whereabouts). Did some quick googling and didn't really see anything with my hit words "iphone gps standalone". I know that Google Maps works on the phone but only with a wi-fi or 3g connection to my knowledge. On the road, I of course don't have wi-fi and don't want eat up my data plan, so was curious if there is anything available to buy (app) that will work standalone similar to my android tablet or my old garmin standalone nuvi gps. It would be nice to utilize my phone in a pinch and don't have the gps along or having to lug my tablet in car. Thanks for any info.
    Dave

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Sorry, I can't answer this question, but I can tell you what I know. AFAIK, TomTom and Navigon both have problems with working without data. The maps are preloaded and the GPS should work by itself without data, but for some reason they don't. TomTom for instance needs it for address entry, don't know why. That's as much as I know so you can rule out TomTom and Navigon. I use Navigon and have data so I don't know of any more GPS apps. If anybody else does, I hope they'll be able to help you. I hope this at least helps you figure out what you should not buy. But...on the road I don't believe the GPS apps I mentioned use too much data, but I could be wrong.

java.lang.IllegalStateException: Location unknown.
    Thanks

In order for you to do this you would need a 3G or Wi-Fi connection. @i.Annie You are correct, They don't use too much data so it'll be very cheap for anyone wanting an iPhone as a GPS. You can buy a 1 GB plan from AT&T (Monthly) and not have to pay extra charges (Unless you're using the Safari, etc. while connected to 3G)

Hope This Helps!
    Great minds discuss ideas.
    Average minds discuss events.
    Small minds discuss people.

Thanks

The iPhone has an internal GPS radio.
    This means it has a constant "data signal" from GPS satellites that can give you your exact location nearly anywhere on earth.

However simply knowing your latitude and longitude isn't much help if you don't know where you are in relation to anything else. The iPhone's built-in map application doesn't store detailed maps onboard. It only downloads map data on demand, through 3G or WiFi networks. If you know where you're heading you can pre-load location data while you have WiFi or 3G. Even without external cache management or anything extra, it should do some good.

You'll get at least a low-res overview of the region you're traveling through if you pre-cache.

Navigation apps that store EVERYTHING onboard are possible (not sure if TomTom or Garmin or one of the others do that) but they'll probably be low-resolution and probably huge and annoying to work with.

Your Nuvi (and probably your Android device) has several hundred megs (or a few gigs) of map data onboard already.

______

have you tried NavFree?
    it's got a 2gig internal database, and is apparently free.
    The quality may not be great, and some people don't like the interface.

Navmii/Navfree Latest Satellite Navigation Software for iPhone, iPad and Android
    Last edited by raduga; 03-21-2012 at 02:10 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Thanks to all the replies for the good info. It doesn't sound like what I wanna do will work. For now, I'm trying NavFree since its free. Thanks again.

Thanks

No problem. Feel free to ask more questions... If you have any

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,140 Times in 490 Posts

TomTom also has maps on the device, the app is about 2GB is size. I use this on my old 2G, which has no build in GPS receiver, but with the TomTom car kit it works a charm.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Think what the OP was going for is one that doesn't use data rather.

Thanks

^^ Exactly