Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.
11-18-2011, 11:10 PM #1Please help me decide in favor of iPhone, functionality questions..
Long time blackberry user here (7+yrs) and contract has expired a few months ago.
Coming from BB, there are few features that I definitely need in order to continue to work the way I've been working, otherwise I am sticking with BB.
1) When reading e-mails, being able to move e-mails to a folder with one click then choosing the folder, and ability to type the folder name to move/copy or directly Go to that folder. I have around 100 folders in my Outlook, and I don't want to have to select one by one to sync with my phone, or having to scroll through them in Move to.. screen
2) Being able to attach contacts in universal format or outlook format.
3) Multiple pauses in phone numbers restored in address book. For example dial number, pause (wait for user response) dial extension, Pause (wait for user response) dial extension. Basically it waits for me to hit "dial extension" instead of fix 3 second wait.
4) Viewing and saving excel, word, pdf e-mail attachments (no edit required), and being able to browse and attach this type of files (can you even have a file system in iPhone??) and be able to open these types of files directly from where they are saved.
5) Syncing anything that is otherwise synced in Exchange/Desktop Outlook such as my notes, calendar, addresses, etc without having to select folders individually.
6) When forwarding e-mail, does iPhone forward the e-mail on the phone, or instruct server to forward the original e-mail? Makes a huge difference, because formatting may get altered if it gets forwarded by iPhone and not by server.
7) See all e-mails in one folder, for example in blackberry you can set 30 days to be stored in the phone, so all e-mails in last 30 days, regardless of being moved into folders or those that were sent show up on same list, with icons next to them identifying their states (in a folder, in inbox, sent, draft)
Please go easy, don't just say "stick with your blackberry" if non of these are possible with iPhone via native apps or via any kind of app purchase/enhancement. I understand Android has a few apps that make it very close to blackberry, but with massive app database, it's hard to believe that iPhone may be lacking.
I can probably let go some of these if others are available. The most important feature is being able to type the folder name when moving.
Thanks again, hey, at least I am making an effort to switch.
11-19-2011, 11:33 AM #2
11-21-2011, 06:14 PM #3
Ok I've got the iPhone 4s.
I have 5 email accounts set up 2 of them have all my folders in them,I sync with outlook or yahoo through iTunes,my yahoo & google account let me move my emails to whatever folder I want to,and you can email of your phone
You can honestly do tons more with an iPhone
I'm not sure about the PDF bit although there are some apps that will no doubt be able to do it
I did upload my c.v. To Dropbox and they were PDF and they show up properly
Contacts are v card or csv I think also forgot to mention you can add folders to ur email accounts
You can also the last 1,000 emails in ur accounts
Don't know about ur number 3 question tho...I have dialled a number then it has said if you know the extension number please dial it but just think that was normal
So to be honest the iPhone is very good...and I've always gone back to having an iPhone
Once you get to know it it's just amazing...and I still learn new things like so many months down the line and laugh at myself for not knowing before hand
Hope I've helped a little
Last edited by littlelisa63; 11-21-2011 at 06:30 PM.
11-21-2011, 09:21 PM #4
Thanks, yes that helped a little, but you mentioned syncing via PC, which means you have to keep your phone connected to your PC to sync e-mails and data, whereas with Exchange service, you can keep them all synced all the time including all folders, subfolders, notes, etc..