Page 12 of 42 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 22 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: xCon: Patch Apps With Jailbreak Protection!

Quote Originally Posted by brinycbri View Post
    hmmm still doesn't work with the most recent GOOD app
    Yea it's strange... I had Xcon14 and Good 1.9.6... and it was all working great. I got in the app this morning, was moving around reading email... then all of the sudden it went blank. I couldn't find anything. So I reset the phone, and came back to Good... and got the dreaded "Application Data wiped, contact your IT Administrator" .

So Good + Xcon was working great - as of this morning, does not work... Any suggestions, or do I have to go back to being locked down?

Didn't work for me ... first time I launched it after the JB, it bombed out and cleared itself.

Quote Originally Posted by shawnjoe View Post
    Yes they do enforce it

Yes they do enforce it
    Just don't use work email. If they want you to use it, they will adapt.

The xCon developer isn't working on it anymore, so don't hold your breath for updates.

Quote Originally Posted by arrrghhh View Post
    Yea it's strange... I had Xcon14 and Good 1.9.6... and it was all working great. I got in the app this morning, was moving around reading email... then all of the sudden it went blank. I couldn't find anything. So I reset the phone, and came back to Good... and got the dreaded "Application Data wiped, contact your IT Administrator" .

So Good + Xcon was working great - as of this morning, does not work... Any suggestions, or do I have to go back to being locked down?

Quote Originally Posted by pahrohfit View Post
    Just don't use work email. If they want you to use it, they will adapt.

The xCon developer isn't working on it anymore, so don't hold your breath for updates.
    I'm afraid my only choice is 'don't JB'. I can't refuse to use work email, I got this stupid phone under the express understanding that I would get paid monthly for the service. They won't pay that monthly service fee if it's not connected to the work email system (I would imagine) and that's not really an option for me.

I would've never have gotten an iDevice if it wasn't for work. Oh well, jailbreaking was fun for a week. I guess all those Cydia apps I paid for can be forgotten...

Woah, did he publicly state that? I've been watching over his Twitter feed in hopes for some form of news but if if that's the case, the iPad is going on Craigslist tonight and I'll get any number of Android tablets that can be rooted without these type of issues.

Quote Originally Posted by slackbuster View Post
    Woah, did he publicly state that? I've been watching over his Twitter feed in hopes for some form of news but if if that's the case, the iPad is going on Craigslist tonight and I'll get any number of Android tablets that can be rooted without these type of issues.
    From what I've seen, the people who have issues with apps that detect root (like for me, Good for Enterprise) just unroot. A horrid solution, but I haven't found any workarounds to 'hide' the fact that the device is rooted.

Any tips/suggestions I'm open to here. I'd like to move back to an Android device at some point, but won't be able to until the company supports Android...

Sorry, really taking the thread OT here. We should probably continue this via PM - if you wish, please feel free to PM me. Sorry again for the OT folks.

I'm not sure why none of the "dream team" members or other iOS devs haven't come up with some sort of sandbox or virtual machine solution. You'd click on an icon and it would launch an "non jailbroken springboard" where you could have it's own settings, app store and everything, along with its own apps. It would all be contained (a whole filesystem) in a compressed virtual disk file, but every app inside this VM would just see only stock iphone stuff. I guess the only way out would be to reboot the ipad/iphone which sucks but if you put some sort of app switcher assholes like DirecTV and Good for Enterprise for example would just detect for the app switching. I'm not sure how else you could sandbox a clean unmodified iOS within an open jailbroken iOS. Think of this also... when a new iOS version comes out you could always test it in your sandboxed VM.

I spoke to upper level CS at DirecTV and they say that they made a deal with APPLE for JB detection, which I find hard to believe. BUT think for one second, WHAT IF Apple decides to put JB detection in its very own core apps over the next few versions of IOS? We could be really screwed unless we find a better solution. All of these band-aids with xCon is a good effort, but I just don't see it being the LONG TERM solution. An app is fixed with xCon, then the developer gets word of it installs xCon for themselves on a test iDevice and just updates their app to work around xCon again. Its never going to end unless you can do a fool all solution. Maybe not a whole VM or Sandbox approach, but some sort of really LOW LEVEL memory driver that intercepts the calls to detect JB?

I dunno, but I'll take Dreamboard and HoneyPad Pro on my ipad over DirecTV. For now I'll just use Waltz Remote - Control your DVR to remote control my DVR. You guys stuck with Good for Enterprise... does your work have Outlook Web Access maybe you can use to access email? While not as convenient you would have to use the Outlook webmail solution through Safari.
    Last edited by cypherstream; 01-30-2012 at 08:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cypherstream View Post

I spoke to upper level CS at DirecTV and they say that they made a deal with APPLE for JB detection, which I find hard to believe.

Doesn't surprise me, they are paranoid as all get out.. Probably comes from being burned in the HU card days, so I can't blame them. Well yeah I can, it's my device so I'll root it if I want to :-)

All of these band-aids with xCon is a good effort, but I just don't see it being the LONG TERM solution. An app is fixed with xCon, then the developer gets word of it installs xCon for themselves on a test iDevice and just updates their app to work around xCon again. Its never going to end unless you can do a fool all solution.
    I'd agree there if my opinion meant anything; either way, I share your concern. As we are seeing with xCon, there is a single point of failure (can't fault the guy, he is chasing after higher education and has classes to go to) and more and more apps are starting to detect/reject jailbroken devices so it's safe to assume sooner or later we'll run in to the same brick wall the PS3 folks have ran in to with having to own 2 separate devices - one hacked and one for every day use. Hopefully someone more savvy than myself will step up to the plate.

I could care less about DirecTV, but I'll be in Japan for a few weeks and Skype is kind of the kicker for me. So again, it boils down to the same question: do I really want to be able to sit on the can and play NES or do I want to be able to use my iPad for everything I need to use it for?

Of course I could always go the same route I was thinking before - ditch it for a more root friendly device al la Android to have my cake and eat it too. I'll miss garage band, but hey - I'll take it for a less restrictive app store and more free applications than iTunes has.
    Last edited by slackbuster; 01-30-2012 at 09:16 PM.

The bottom line is you guys wanna do it on your iPhone or iPad which u know is cooler than android WHEN JAILBROKEN so stop announcing that you're going to android theres not 1 person reading this thread thats threatened by those comments. Wrong place.

I dont think this guy is working on it anymore he wouldve said something although i havent checked his twitter. Have you guys tried renaming Cydia? Most of these apps are just detecting that, rename it to zzz and see what happens.

Just renaming cydia may of worked for the first version of these apps that include JB detection, but now the app dev's are getting smarter. They check memory offsets, checksums and permissions at various (and random) places on the root filesystem (a stock iOS device wouldn't have these permissions).

I was checking out the ASUS Transformer Prime but it's priced a little high. I think I will wait and see what the iPad 3 is going to be like and depending if thats a hit or a miss for me sell my JB ipad2 and use those funds towards either the iPad3 or the Transformer Prime. That honeycomb tablet is just really expensive considering the iPad 2 has the edge on graphics performance which is key for gaming. I'd really rather wait and see if Ice Cream Sandwich is ported to a droid tablet. I love ICS on my wife's Galaxy Nexus.

You guys stuck with Good for Enterprise... does your work have Outlook Web Access maybe you can use to access email? While not as convenient you would have to use the Outlook webmail solution through Safari.
    I'll just answer this part - Good is "required" to access work email. We have Outlook Webmail, but it's thru a very strict VPN - which is not a 'normal' VPN. It's a Juniper device that not only authenticates the user, but does some checking on the local machine - firewall, antivirus, etc. The phone would certainly not make it thru these checks.

So for better or worse I have to use Good. Either that, or I don't get reimbursed by the company... which was kinda the whole point (for me) to get an iPhone.

Oh well. Looks like I'll just flip back and forth as I need it. Painful, but I don't see what choice I have.

Quote Originally Posted by slackbuster View Post
    This is not true it is still being updated and supported, strait from the dev..

https://twitter.com/unimp0rtanttech/...32845645729793

Patience is a virtue.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to redzombi2k For This Useful Post:

slackbuster (02-02-2012)

Quote Originally Posted by redzombi2k View Post
    Patience is a virtue.
    Unfortunately, children have none.

Regarding Directv... The truth if all you need is to check the guide and be able to set the DVR remotely to rec a movie from time to time then install the iphone version on your ipad. It is not like having a monster TV screen at home we would watch it on my iPad.
    And yet, it pisses me to know that they disable the app altogether on JB devices.

Following now.

Thank you
    Last edited by Zhikilladas; 02-02-2012 at 06:59 AM. Reason: Add twitter link

Patience is a virtue.
    I saw that, thanks for asking / confirming; not sure where the other info came from. Like I stated above no one can fault the guy - he's pursuing higher education and no app is worth ruining that.

Perhaps he should learn a little about communication.

-mnqkz.png

Patience is a virtue.

Perhaps he should learn a little about communication.

-mnqkz.png
    He communicated just fine on twitter. There's always the alternative, you can get nothing at all....ever. When an update comes out, it comes out. End of story.

Default new app
    can you try to patch commbank kaching no matter what i do it wont work thanks

2 things to get Directv working:

1. grab http://asws.dtvce.com/ASWSHeadend/ws...gator/1/ipad/2, edit and save to local server.
    change the verMin and verCurrent to 1.3.7
    use a url rewrite mod to change to local server.

2. Then again, I suppose a content mod would work too..., but you'd have to change the value each time the app is updated.

Something like this (for dansguardian):
    # for DTV iPad app
    "<verMin>1.3.9"->"<verMin>1.3.7"
    "<verCurrent>1.3.9"->"<verCurrent>1.3.7"

both confirmed working...
    Last edited by rbolen70; 02-03-2012 at 12:25 PM.

New Orbit doesn't seem to work. Can anyone with a jailbroken device and New Orbit confirm it's working?

Quote Originally Posted by rbolen70 View Post
    2 things to get Directv working:

1. grab http://asws.dtvce.com/ASWSHeadend/ws...gator/1/ipad/2, edit and save to local server.
    change the verMin and verCurrent to 1.3.7
    use a url rewrite mod to change to local server.

2. Then again, I suppose a content mod would work too..., but you'd have to change the value each time the app is updated.

Something like this (for dansguardian):
    # for DTV iPad app
    "<verMin>1.3.9"->"<verMin>1.3.7"
    "<verCurrent>1.3.9"->"<verCurrent>1.3.7"

both confirmed working...
    Can you elaborate a little more on the first option? Id like to try to implement it locally here.

Page 12 of 42 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 22 ... LastLast