Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: HOWTO: Enable VPN in Cablevision Optimum app to watch live TV outside your home

Default HOWTO: Enable VPN in Cablevision Optimum app to watch live TV outside your home
    Tutorial to watch live tv using Cablevision's Optimum app over VPN (works on any wifi or 3G)

NEEDED FILES:
    1. To circumvent Optimum's jailbreak detection, install 'xCon' in Cydia.
    2. VPN Patch http://www.mediafire.com/?cdimygpi5wut5o9

To install the .deb patch, use iFunBox http://dl.i-funbox.com/ifunbox_en.zip
    Drill into the Raw Filesystem and drop .deb into a folder like \tmp on the root. Then use iFile on your device to install OR iFunBox has an option to install .deb files using Cydia and it'll install automatically after a respring.

You must power cycle or reboot/respring after installing the vpn patch.

Create a VPN server on your home PC.

(I use Windows 7, I think it's this simple with XP also. For OSX instructions, see this thread: How To: Enable VPN to watch Cablevision LiveTV outside your home - MacRumors Forums)

Steps to create a simple PPTP vpn server in Windows 7 with no third party software:

Following are the steps for configuring Incoming VPN Connection in Windows 7

1. First go to Control Panel and open Network and Sharing Center.
    2. Click on Change adapter settings.
    3. Press Alt+F and select New Incoming connection
    4. Put a check on who you would like to give access to this computer or you can configure a new account by clicking on Add someone, after that click on Next.
    Put a check mark on Through the Internet. Click on Next.
    5. Select the protocols you want to enable for this connection. Click on Allow access. (I left this default and didn't change anything)

After creating the connection with the above steps, you have to forward the port in your router to your PC's IP. I have a netgear wnr2000v2, in port forwarding it has an option for PPTP-VPN and it automatically forwarded it for me. If you don't have this option in your router, simply forward port 1723 to your PC's IP address. On your iDevice go to Settings, General, Network, VPN. Add a vpn configuration. Choose PPTP, description can be "Home" or whatever you want to name it. Server is your external IP address (if you don't know this, you can go to What's My IP Address? Networking Tools & More). Account is the account name you chose to have access to the VPN (windows account) rsa securid is off, password is your windows password (if you dont have one, create one on windows to login to the PC or there's an option to allow connections in Windows without a password). THATS IT - Hit the vpn switch and confirm you're getting the blue VPN logo in the status bar. Start Optimum.app

Optimum's app acts as if I was sitting in my own living room and allows Live TV! on any IOS device.

If you're having problems...
    - Make sure you can connect to the internet through Safari while connected to VPN. If you don't have internet access, it won't work. Disconnecting from VPN and reconnecting can restore internet access although formatting my PC resolved that problem, something was blocking it.

Working on my iPhone 4s iOS 5.1.1 & iPad 2 iOS 5.1.1
    Optimum v2.1.1
    Last edited by RRoD420; 06-20-2012 at 01:42 PM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RRoD420 For This Useful Post:

GMonaaaay (06-29-2012), qunnoir (10-04-2011)

I did all the step and got it to work. But everytime i turn off my wifi it cut off the vpn connection...what did i do wrong? My router home is a wireless...

Turn off wifi, make sure you're on 3G and connect to VPN or try it on someone else's connection. Then start the io app.

If my phone connects to vpn does that mean its correct?

You have to connect to VPN and make sure you can hit a website in safari, if you have no Internet access it won't work.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I'm having trouble setting up my router. It is a TRENDnet TEW-652BRP. The problem is it has web based setting and controls instead of software based controls. I have to reset the router manually, put in another password to access it. (I should have bought a Netgear.....) I will try to configure it again and see if I can get the VPN working.

After you create the VPN connection on your PC, just go to port forwarding in your router and manually forward port 1723 to your PCs IP address. That should be all that's needed

My netgear is only web based configuration. Check the manual for your router: TRENDnet | Downloads | Wireless | TEW-652BRP

I connected to my vpn with the iphone but not matter what i do i cant seem to get a page up on safari. i try disconnecting vpn and reconnecting and still no luck and ideas? i also followed the guide step by step
    Last edited by kryogenik; 10-17-2011 at 08:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kryogenik View Post
    I connected to my vpn with the iphone but not matter what i do i cant seem to get a page up on safari. i try disconnecting vpn and reconnecting and still no luck and ideas? i also followed the guide step by step
    Reboot your PC, once it's up connect to vpn then disconnect, then reconnect. Try Safari.

i just noticed if i turn off SEND ALL TRAFFIC in the vpn settings on the iphone i get internet and still connect to the vpn, but optimum app still not working and i have it under 3g unrestrictor.

Send all traffic MUST be on, because now it's just using your 3G or wifi connection you're connected to instead of your VPN only. Optimum is checking to make sure you're home, you're not home if you're on 3G. Turn on send all traffic and get safari to load a page, then go to Optimum. I always need to connect using logmein and reboot it remotely if I can't reboot it or have someone else reboot it for me. Then connect to VPN, disconnect, wait 3 seconds then reconnect to VPN. Check safari, I have Internet access and Optimum connects and allows Live TV as you are on your home network.
    Last edited by RRoD420; 10-17-2011 at 11:42 PM.

Ok, i actually figured out the problem if anyone is having issues connecting to the internet through VPN make sure you check that your antivirus is allowing internet sharing, that was the problem I was having. I was able to connect to my VPN but wouldn't getting internet access. Now I have the optimum app working perfectly through VPN

Firewall and antivirus can block internet access, glad you got it working!

How do you change Cydia's name?

use iFile browse to \Applications (not in \var) and u can hit the little arrow to rename it to Cydia2

Please have someone make this working on windows xp if yes please post the right settings i cant create a VPN connection o win XP

THANK YOU!!!!!! This worked great I used Ivpn on my mac. Works perfect everytime using iphone4 ios 5.0.1

I have iphone 3gs on ios 5.0.1. I connected through 3G to vpn on my home computer but optimum app still says I'm not connected to home network. It works fine when I connect to my router through wifi at home. Any suggestions.

Is your 3GS Jailbroken? is VPN patch installed?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast