Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: HOWTO: Enable VPN in Cablevision Optimum app to watch live TV outside your home

IP is definitely correct...went to whatsmyip.com
    Account I choose the name I picked when setting up the connection on my PC "Mario"
    Password is the windows password for the PC (there is only 1 user for the PC...the PC's name is Mario-PC)

Also just to note, my computer network connection is wired from the router...Also, once I set up that new connection it looks like my computer is not connected to the internet (red x through the little computer on the bottom of the screen) yet I do have a connection as I am typing right now...

Also, I have Internet Protocol version 4, file and printer sharing and Qos Packet Scheduler checked....protocol 6 is not checked
    Under Virtual private network i have Allow others to make private connections to my computer checked.
    Under Users I have require all users to secure their passwords and data and always allowe directly connected devices to connect without a password checked.

by the way i was wrong its a belkin N300
    Last edited by mcaram16; 05-09-2012 at 12:19 AM.

Aright so everything is set up correctly. it's something blocking it on your PC, try to set it up on another PC or remove any firewalls. For example I have a friend that just could not make a connection no matter what and after NEEDING to get it accomplished he formatted his PC and with a fresh install made the connection first shot. No way to know what it was but we disabled antivirus and anything we thought would block it. You can try uninstalling any firewall software or manufacturer installed protection, or try to do it on another PC just to prove you don't have a problem connecting from outside and through your router.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to RRoD420 For This Useful Post:

mcaram16 (05-09-2012)

Quote Originally Posted by RRoD420 View Post
    Aright so everything is set up correctly. it's something blocking it on your PC, try to set it up on another PC or remove any firewalls. For example I have a friend that just could not make a connection no matter what and after NEEDING to get it accomplished he formatted his PC and with a fresh install made the connection first shot. No way to know what it was but we disabled antivirus and anything we thought would block it. You can try uninstalling any firewall software or manufacturer installed protection, or try to do it on another PC just to prove you don't have a problem connecting from outside and through your router.
    I definitely don't have any firewall software installed and I disabled the router and windows 7 firewalls....formatting is really not an option as for another computer, i'll have to give that a try tomorrow...I don't have access to another computer at the moment..I'll post again tomorrow, thanks again for taking your time to help me.

Hey...I finally got my phone to connect to the VPN, I had to specify an IP address in the setup.

When I launch the app I still get "You must be connected to your home network and signed in to watch Live TV". I'm on the latest version of the app 2.1.2
    Last edited by mcaram16; 05-09-2012 at 09:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mcaram16 View Post
    Hey...I finally got my phone to connect to the VPN, I had to specify an IP address in the setup.

When I launch the app I still get "You must be connected to your home network and signed in to watch Live TV". I'm on the latest version of the app 2.1.2
    Did you install the vpn patch .deb?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to RRoD420 For This Useful Post:

mcaram16 (05-09-2012)

Did you install the vpn patch .deb?
    No I didn't...where do I find the patch?

Do you mean "xCon"? I have that installed already.

No I didn't...where do I find the patch?

Do you mean "xCon"? I have that installed already.
    Go to page 1 on this thread and read my tutorial, it's there.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to RRoD420 For This Useful Post:

mcaram16 (05-09-2012)

Go to page 1 on this thread and read my tutorial, it's there.
    I saw, I missed that...I just installed it and its all good now! Thanks again for all your help, I really appreciate it!

I saw, I missed that...I just installed it and its all good now! Thanks again for all your help, I really appreciate it!
    Glad you got it working! watch your 3G data, optimum is a killer being that it's only supposed to be "in your home".

13. The Following User Says Thank You to RRoD420 For This Useful Post:

mcaram16 (05-09-2012)

Glad you got it working! watch your 3G data, optimum is a killer being that it's only supposed to be "in your home".
    I will, i have an "unlimited" plan anyway so I should be ok. Quick question, this only works on 3G? If i'm on another wifi and connect to the VPN will the app work?

It works anywhere as long as you're connected to your home thru VPN. Even if you have unlimited data on 3G once you hit 3GB they'll cut you off, be aware. It's much better if you're on a wifi connection and I noticed when watching live TV the quality will depend on the connection.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to RRoD420 For This Useful Post:

mcaram16 (05-09-2012)

It works anywhere as long as you're connected to your home thru VPN. Even if you have unlimited data on 3G once you hit 3GB they'll cut you off, be aware. It's much better if you're on a wifi connection and I noticed when watching live TV the quality will depend on the connection.
    I heard 5GB but I'm not even close right now so I should be good. Thanks for the heads up though. Again I thank you for your help. Have a nice day.

Hey, I have a question. Do you know of a way to get around cablevision blocking the app when plugged into a TV or external monitor?

Green Apple
    Thanks

I followed your instructions. I bought a new router (Netgear WRN2000v3.) It worked flawlessly, even though it took a long time to connect. BUT, my problem is I had to turn off my firewall. The VPN works perfectly, but I can't get internet thru the firewall unless I disconnect it. I'm trying to figure out hot to get it thru. I disconnected the Windows Firewall and using BitDefender Internet Security 2012. I have it configured to allow the traffic, but something is stopping the internet flow to the connection. It has to be something minor, but I can't find what is wrong.

Thats the root of all problems with this method. Its a PPTP connection that uses port 1723. Make sure you add this connection in your exceptions for all apps that block traffic.

I have an iMac with Optimum App Installed - also I have successfully established VPN connection to my brother's iMac running EasyVPN and i want to use Optimum App on my iMac through the VPN - but I keep on getting this message - You must be connected to Your home network and signed in to watch live tv.

So i am assuming here that - the optimum App is detecting the VPN connection and hence not letting me use the optimum app on my iMac. If that is the case then do we have a VPN Patch for iMac or Windows XP/7 OS?

Thx!!!!

Your assumption is correct, you need a vpn patch for optimum on OSX. I don't use a mac but I did some searching and can't seem to find one that exists. The guy that made the vpn patch for ios above is HANTECK on macrumors forum, you can try asking him to write one if he hasn't already.

does anyone know if its possible to have something similar to this "disable vpn detection" patch for the directv app?

Optimum App on iMac (Using VPN) ******WORKS******

The issue that I had was that my VPN was not setup properly even though it looks good from outside.

The key thing here is - Have your VPN setup and test on your Mac - Connect VPN, then go to the website whatismyip.com and verify it shows your home IP address. If you see other IP - that means VPN is not setup properly. Even though VPN connection shows connected and you don't see your HOME IP address - you need to delete and create a new VPN connection on your iMac.

Once VPN connection is up - launch optimum APP - and you are all good to go. I have tested and it is working fine on my iMac. No additional tweaks or software need to be installed.

Thanks!!!!

@netw0rm
    Thanks for the confirmation, optimum app on osx does not have vpn detection.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast