+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [Guide] Install Google+ on iPod Touch now

is a discussion within the

Apple AppStore App Discussion

forums, a part of the

3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touch

section;
Just as google+ launches on the iOS appstore, many people may be disappointed to discover that it is only for iPhone users (well it doesn't need to be) This guide
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Default [Guide] Install Google+ on iPod Touch now
    Just as google+ launches on the iOS appstore, many people may be disappointed to discover that it is only for iPhone users (well it doesn't need to be)

This guide will explain why it only installs on iPhones and also how to install it on your iPod touch.

Explanation
    Starting off with why it is "iPhone only"
    - Well the application checks for some iPhone features and will fail to install if they are not there (to do this it checks the main N**AP.plist of devices for the following capabilities [telephony, sms, gps, wifi, location-services] three of which the iPod doesn't have)
    All explained now to the good part.

How to install Google+ (Fully working) on iPod touch
    As mentioned above the application checks for three boolean capabilities that iPods don't have (but this can be solved fairly easily)

Step 1) Head to iTunes and download the Google+ application to your PC or Mac (which is free)

Step 2) On your iPod you need a program called iFile from cydia (or you can use a combination of Phonedisk (Mac) or iFunbox (Windows) to download the required file)

Step 3) Head to the following directory /System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app and find the file called N**AP.plist (iPod 4th gen = N81AP, iPod 3rd gen = N18AP and iPod 2nd gen = N72AP)

Step 4) [MAKE A BACKUP BEFORE MODIFYING THE FILE] Open this file with iFile's text editior (or use a plist editor on windows or mac) and find the value below
    <key>tv-out-crossfade</key>
    <true/>
    I have been notified that this line only exists on 4th gen devices. For older devices you can put the new lines under
    <key>stand-alone-contacts</key>
    <true/>

Step 5) Under the value mentioned above add these following lines
    <key>telephony</key>
    <true/>
    <key>sms</key>
    <true/>
    <key>gps</key>
    <true/>

Step 6) Save the changes (and if you edited the file on your PC or Mac put the edited file back to the directory you copied it from originally)

Step 7) Respring or reboot your iPod (either will do)

Step 8) Open iTunes on your PC or Mac and either open the 'Apps' section from the sidebar and locate the Google+ application and simply drag it onto your iPod in the 'Devices' part of the sidebar, or click on your iPod in iTunes and choose the Apps tab, and locate the Google+ application in the list and make sure it is checked. then sync

All done. Google+ installed (and fully working) on your iPod without any piracy

If you have any questions or need any help you can tweet me @c00k1e181992

EDIT: it seems some people have followed these instructions and it hasn't worked. I failed to point out I only have an iPod touch 4th gen, so have no way of testing it on older devices.
    Last edited by cookie181992; 07-20-2011 at 06:16 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I've completely modified the file N18AP on my iPod (as you said). but it doesn't work. Just like before.
    can anybody help?
    thanks

Thanks

Default Nope
    No can do my friend. I have an iPod Touch 4th generation and followed your instructions to the T, but it didn't work. I closed out of iTunes, rebooted my iPod, tried it again...not working. I'm glad it worked for you, but it's not working for me.

I did download it from Cydia and it works perfectly. The only problem is that it was preventing me from being able to sync my iPod with iTunes.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tafkap777 View Post
    No can do my friend. I have an iPod Touch 4th generation and followed your instructions to the T, but it didn't work. I closed out of iTunes, rebooted my iPod, tried it again...not working. I'm glad it worked for you, but it's not working for me.

I did download it from Cydia and it works perfectly. The only problem is that it was preventing me from being able to sync my iPod with iTunes.
    Are you saying that Google+ doesn't work,
    or that Google+ does work, but the plist "fix" breaks iTunes syncing?

Because the second part is probably inevitable with this kind of hack.

I'm curious if the app needs "iPhone" capabilities to run, or if it's just the installer.
    If you need to mod the plist every time, it's probably a dealbreaker for most people.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Actually I've found the problem and now it works for me.
    The problem is that you should put the lines you want to read in the correct position.
    I mean you should sort them. For example put
    ** *<key>gps</key>
    ** *<true/>
    after
    ** *<key>gas-gauge-battery</key>
    ** *<true/>