+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: how do I get a free app from another country on my iPhone?

is a discussion within the

Apple AppStore App Discussion

forums, a part of the

3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touch

section;
Apple is really making life hard if you live in the U.S. but travel abroad for extended periods of time. I got a U.S. iTunes account and that works fine,
    Thanks

Default how do I get a free app from another country on my iPhone?
    Apple is really making life hard if you live in the U.S. but travel abroad for extended periods of time.

I got a U.S. iTunes account and that works fine, but I need a free online banking app, offered by a foreign bank, through a foreign ghetto version of Mr. Control Freak's Appstore.

So, I'm not trying to get anything illegal, cracked or whatever, this is an app the bank is giving away free.

I can have a friend download the app on his account, but then how can I get the damned thing on my iPhone?

I'm on iPhone 3G, iOS 4.02 / 05.13.04, Jailbroken with Redsn0w.
    Got Cydia on it, but as expected, it can't be found there. Understandably, nobody bothers to host free appstore apps on private servers.

Any advice be appreciated, and thanks for the nice forum!
    Last edited by Tsais; 12-16-2010 at 09:18 PM. Reason: typo

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Log into his account through the app store and download it through the app store. Well, have him do it for you on your phone so he can verify his cc info on it. Then have him log out when he is finished installing it on your device. Of course logging back into your own account after won't let you update the app if it has an update available later on, but if that's necessary have him log back into it in the app store and update and log out again.

That's the only legitimate way I can think of, for someone to help you get a legit free app on your own device.

Thanks

Hi, thanks for the quick reply!

That sounds pretty simple to do...

Do I need him to log on his iTunes account on my computer, where my iPhone is synced?

Or can he get the app on his computer, and then I hook up my phone there? Or will I loose my other apps if I sync to his iTunes?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

You shouldn't sync to his iTunes. If you just want that one app, have him log into your phone's app store and download it. He has to verify his cc info. Then he can log out after he installs it for you and you can sign into your own account again. In the app store, not through iTunes.