+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: The best media player on the AppStore with Divx/Xvid support

is a discussion within the

Apple AppStore App Discussion

forums, a part of the

3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touch

section;
Hey folks! I just wanted to share my recent discovery regarding media players with Divx support: I've been looking for and trying out a lot of apps so far in
    Thanks

Default The best media player on the AppStore with Divx/Xvid support
    Hey folks! I just wanted to share my recent discovery regarding media players with Divx support: I've been looking for and trying out a lot of apps so far in order find out the best solution for watching avi-files on my iTouch. After I had settled with yxplayer I now have found a true gem in the AppStore:

In my opinion the best media player so far is Oplayer. It supports Divx, Xvid, WMV, MPG, MPEG2 and even HD-MKVs - though the latter ones will not work properly due to hardware limitations.

Speaking of which: You need at least an iTouch 3G (32 ord 64GB) or an iPhone 3GS to decode any other codecs than those which are already supported by iOS. Decoding has to be done by software rendering and that's why you need sufficient CPU power which only 3rd gen devices can provide.

Nevertheless: Divx and Xvid videos (avi-container) work like a charm for me on my iTouch 3G (64GB). Oplayer also supports srt-subtitles and multiple audio streams!

WMV playback is okay but not as good as avi playback. MPEG2 or any other format can become slightly choppy as soon as a video's resolution exceeds 640x480px.

There have been some complaints on the German Appstore: Some idiots where revoking their goog reviews because they failed to read the app's description text. Lots of these folks thought Oplayer would have stopped supporting landscape mode - but it still works: You just have to tilt your device BEFORE playback! This latest update avoids the issue of having the mode switching constantly from landscape to portrait and back during playback - this was happening to me a lot since I am used to watch videos on my way to work: It was really annoying. But with V1.17 this issue is solved - you just have to remember: Tilt BEFORE watching!
    Last edited by DJ oNIon; 10-06-2010 at 05:01 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to DJ oNIon For This Useful Post:

soulthoughts (10-07-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I'm guessing that's your app? Anyone else willing to check if it's any good?

VLC for iPad was a major disappointment, so the standard admittedly isn;t high right now...

Thanks

I'm going to buy it and I'll report back.

Thanks

I LOVE IT. I uploaded an episode of the Big Bang Theory that's an XviD and it played it flawlessly. No skipping or sync issues.

I uploaded to the app via Firefox and it was simple.

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

Thanks

I'm guessing that's your app?
    No, it's not! But I got really impressed by it and right now I am feeling a strong urge to support the developer(s) by any means

VLC for iPad was a major disappointment
    That's why I do advertise OPlayer - buy it and show your support to the developer(s). They have done an awesome job so far and do indeed implement users' suggestions into their very frequent updates!

Another reason for my advertisement is the fact that some very impatient users have revoked their positive reviews and ratings of OPlayer because they were just not clever enough to read the app's description text (alleged switch-to-landscape issue which is actually non-existent). This app is THE ONE APP I have waited for since the very beginning of the iTunes AppStore!

This thread is meant to be a wake-up call for all those among us who always wanted a great app for DivX and XviD playback! Buy this awesome app and and review it accordingly: This way we all can make sure that its constant improvement keeps going on!

Nevermind a free VLC app - if an app is done RIGHT the developer very well deserves to be paid for his efforts! (and btw: 2-3 bucks? this is an absolute bargain!)
    Last edited by DJ oNIon; 10-07-2010 at 07:27 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Well, I had $3 to spare, so I gave it a go, and confirm that it worked fine with the files that failed to play in VLC4iPad. So far, so good.

Most importantly (to me), it supports FTP so I don't need to be within USB cable range of my PC to transfer stuff, which makes it good for plane trips and places where I get no/patchy reception for AirVideo. Just wish it would support resuming downloads.
    Last edited by cypherpunk; 10-07-2010 at 08:22 AM.

Thanks

It would be cool if we knew where the videos are stored so we can drag and drop into that folder.

Thanks

It simply stores all its files in the app's documents-folder. I found it using iFile (switch on app names).

Thanks

Bump for such an awesome app.

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi