Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Auto-launch Skype on iPhone 4 running iOS 4.0.x

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Exclamation Auto-launch Skype on iPhone 4 running iOS 4.0.x
    I have a jailbroken iPhone 4 running 4.0.1. Is there anyway (through some setting or using a jailbreak tweak available through Cydia), to automatically have the Skype app launch (either in the foreground or background) once the springboard loads? I want people to be able to call me on Skype, but this means I have to remember start Skype up so that it can log me in everytime I start/reboot/respring my iPhone. I love making calls through Skype, and I have many friends that have it installed on their iPhones, but it's a huge disadvantage/annoyance when we have to remember to launch the app.

I hope I'm not asking for too much here. It just seems like this would be a very handy thing to have on a jailbroken iPhone. I don't know anything about iPhone development or jailbreak app development, but looking at all the other utilities and tweaks that have been developed and are listed in Cydia, this seems like a simple thing. Maybe it already exists; if so, what app should I be searching for in Cydia.

Thanks for the help!

Bandwidth will only be used during the calls. be careful, the wireless company is going to charge you for airtime even if Skype doesn't.
    No Sig Spam - ajl917

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Seriously dude? How does this, in any way whatsoever, even begin to answer my original question. Bandwidth usage through the Skype app is completely irrelevant to this topic. I appreciate your attempt to help, but please make sure to read my question before posting some random response.

Anyone else?

Would constant backgrounding using Backgrounder solve your problem?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

GregTheWay, thanks for your reply. I already have the latest version of Backgrounder installed and running well on my iPhone 4. However, this doesn't solve my problem. In fact, I don't even need Backgrounder at all in this scenario. Backgrounder just allows apps to continue to run either fully or partially when leaving the app. Skype already takes advantage for the background processing that is built into iOS 4, so it already runs in the background whether I have Backgrounder installed or not.

The main thing I need is to have Skype auto-launch when the Springboard starts (either from a full start, reboot, or respring). If it can somehow auto-launch when the iPhone initializes, then I won't be required to always manually launch the app which will sign me into Skype.

As I stated above, this seems like a pretty easy task to accomplish and I'm surprised that there seems to be nothing currently available to jailbreakers that would facilitate this process.

Anyone else?

I see what you mean. I suppose making an AppStore app auto start on springboard load wouldn't be too difficult. I guess just not many people need it. I would be willing to just tap the icon real fast everytime i boot my phone, which is rare. I normally keep it on constantly.

Default also for use as an alarm clock
    I am looking for this same type of auto launch on springboard restart. What I want to be able to do is start a streaming radio station app at a certain time for use as an alarm clock. It seems like it would work using the same concept. I cannot find a single app that has been able to do this, and backgrounding would not be a viable option because I want it to launch at a certain time. Just a thought

Thanks

Try iScheduler. I'm pretty sure you can set apps to auto launch at a certain time. You might be able to use this with backgrounding to achieve what you need.

Im on the same Skype auto boot need. Hope someone makes such tweak, even if he charges for it.

I'm surprised this tweak/option is not available yet. I'm in the same boat. I need skype to run at every reboot/respring/crash in order to stay in touch with others. If anyone has any suggestions please update this post.

looking here as well....

Same problem. I need Skype to run all the time. Manually loading it is dumb.

Skype already takes advantage for the background processing that is built into iOS 4, so it already runs in the background whether I have Backgrounder installed or not.

I'm searching for the same fix as well.