Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Nearby - Text Your Location w/ Google Maps! (Made by me!)

Default Nearby - Text Your Location w/ Google Maps! (Made by me!)

n00neimp0rtant made an app??? WHUT??? Is this the apocalypse or something??

Yes, I actually made an app called Nearby. It takes your GPS coordinates, turns them into a super-accurate Google Maps URL, and shares it with anyone. No signing up, no networks, no services. It's incredibly easy to use. Never struggle to describe where you're at again; Nearby will show your friends EXACTLY where you are!

To use Nearby, simply open it up and it will automatically start tracking your location. When the blue blip is accurate enough, tap the Text Message button and your location will be turned into a link and sent to whomever you specify using the new In-App SMS API in iOS 4!

The links open right up into the Google Maps app on any iPhone, regardless of whether the recipient has Nearby or even knows what it is. They will even open up inside Android's web browser in Google Maps Mobile. In fact, you don't even have to have a smartphone to be on the receiving end of a Nearby text; if you're near a computer or anything that has an Internet browser, simply type in the link and Google Maps will open up to the exact spot you sent your location from! It's ridiculously easy!

Even iPod touch owners can take advantage--while the SMS feature obviously won't be available, a Copy to Pasteboard button will let you copy the link to the iPhone's system-wide pasteboard so you can paste your location URL in an instant message, email, Facebook status, or anything else. And, of course, the iPhone gets the pasteboard feature too.

What would you pay for an app this handy? $1.99? $2.99? Absolutely not! Nearby is available to you today for the low low price of ABSOLUTELY NOTHING! Yes, that's right! You can pick up Nearby today and for the rest of time completely free of charge! It is supported by iAds, so please be sure to check them out, as I get paid a whole lot more when you tap them and I have college loans to pay off! (For a college education in Computer Science so you wouldn't even have this app if it wasn't for the debts that I now have to pay back so yadda yadda guilt trip TAP MY ADS! =D)

New features are already in development; the whole interface will be able to page back and forth like the pages of icons on SpringBoard, with the first page being the map and buttons you see now, and the second containing additional features like Tell A Friend and even Quick Share icons on your SpringBoard!

Now available! http://tinyurl.com/getnearbyapp

And to think, 2 weeks ago I knew nothing about iPhone development...

2. The Following User Says Thank You to n00neimp0rtant For This Useful Post:

kwickone (08-06-2010)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 956 Posts

awesome

Please know we are praying Kyle (poetic_folly) and Robyn Matthews for your little one.
    You too blkcadi
    Thank You.

veryy nice deffinetly giving it a try when its released

iPhone? More like MyPhone HeavyD4's Avatar
    Thanks

congrats and good luck i def like the idea my lovley wife can get lost in our house now i can find her faster,thank u

iPhone? More like MyPhone HeavyD4's Avatar
    Thanks

Got it, thank u, can u txt a message besides the location though?

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyD4 View Post
    Got it, thank u, can u txt a message besides the location though?
    Sure, just press the Home button then tap the Messages icon on your home screen =P

9. The Following User Says Thank You to n00neimp0rtant For This Useful Post:

HeavyD4 (08-06-2010)

Looks awesome gonna download as soon as I restore my stupid iphone

My iPhone is a Part of Me kwickone's Avatar
    Thanks

Installed, and I must say...very cool app!
    Simple yet elegant. Great first app!
    kwickone I.T.H.

Thanks

Very cool. I'm gonna download it and click the ads. You gotta get paid right?