+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iOS4 Multitasking

is a discussion within the

Apple AppStore App Discussion

forums, a part of the

3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touch

section;
Hey, is there any app or mod of anysort which will let you control which apps are backgrounded in the new iOS4 background method, by default it background everything you
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Smile iOS4 Multitasking
    Hey, is there any app or mod of anysort which will let you control which apps are backgrounded in the new iOS4 background method, by default it background everything you open.

I have tried Backgrounder App from cydia, but i wanted to use the already built in feature in iOS4, but just control which apps get backgrounded.

Cheers

[Edit]
    Sorry I think i posted this in the wrong section, mods please move this. Thanks.
    Last edited by donza; 07-23-2010 at 05:01 PM.

Thanks

Did you ever find a solution to this. One thing I'm looking forward to it the jailbreak is taking back control of what does/doesn't run in the background.

If I want an app to run in the background then I should be able to set it to run in the background. I'm disappointed Apple doesn't give the user control over this.

Oh well, took this long to get native multi-tasking. I guess letting me control what backgrounds wouldn't be very Apple

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hey unfortunately i haven't yet. I guess someone might come up with a tweak/mod later on. And your right, it stupid how we dont have control over whats backgrounded. Having everything backgrounded slows the device down on ipt2g and 3G. For now ive disabled iOS backgrounding and installed backgrounder from cydia, they have added a new feature to auto detect if it has native backgrounding support.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I jailbroke my iPod touch 8GB 3rd gen mc model with the sn0wbreeze v1.7 using the tutorial on this website. As a result, I enabled native multitasking. However, when I install apps from the app store or jailbroken apps they don't have the multitasking capabilities such as fast app switching, and I can't use apps like Skype in the background. Is there a way to make the apps think my ipod is a 3rd generation 32 or 64 GB model so that the multitasking features work?

Thanks

Natively I don't know. You can always use Backgrounder to active a program so it runs in the background.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I think the best combo right now is to install backgrounder, and turn background (both native and backgrounder) to "OFF" (for the "global" settings)
    BUT then make overrides (that don't follow the global settings) for the apps you wish to still have "native backgrounding"

This means thats only the apps you want, will use the "native active backgrounding" and the ones you didn't make overrides for won't.

The only problem is, the "saved state" is still active for all Apps, and although this is not "active native backgrounding" and technically not using RAM... the "multitask bar" when you double click the home button, still shows these apps as "running" even though it is saved state... which can clutter that pop-up bar.

So in order to modify this, so that all those "recent saved state" apps don't also show in the "multitask pop-up bar" and clutter it, you have to download the "remove recents" tweak from cydia, that then stops these from sitting there for no reason (since they are not truly actively running in the background anyways)

With this combo, you can specify what apps run in the background (natively) and which ones don't. And also hide the "saved state apps"

For me this is a good combo for now
    Last edited by UKROB86; 08-08-2010 at 08:53 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Couldn't you just disable the "enable at launch" option and set the backgrounding method to "auto detect"? You'd then be able to manually enable and disable backgrounding for apps in the same way as you did before iOS 4.0, except it would use the native method whenever it's available.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Yea actually your right, just tried this, it works because you decide whether or not you want it to background and also if it doesn't support native it uses backgrounder which is perfect.

On a separate note did any of you guys notice that some apps get disconnected after being natively backgrounded for awhile..? I'm referring to those apps that need an active Internet connection, like or fring for example

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by UKROB86 View Post
    On a separate note did any of you guys notice that some apps get disconnected after being natively backgrounded for awhile..? I'm referring to those apps that need an active Internet connection, like or fring for example
    I would guess that's to do with the app designers themselves programming in a maximum idle time, after which the app automatically closes to save data and battery life. Probably for the same reason this thread was started actually, i.e. all apps are automatically backgrounded on non-jailbroken devices and give no notification, making it easy to forget you have an app running in the background.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cypherpunk View Post
    I would guess that's to do with the app designers themselves programming in a maximum idle time, after which the app automatically closes to save data and battery life. Probably for the same reason this thread was started actually, i.e. all apps are automatically backgrounded on non-jailbroken devices and give no notification, making it easy to forget you have an app running in the background.
    It would be nice if we could figure out a way to prevent these apps from reaching max idle time. That would be a nice tweak.

Thanks

There already is. Create a backgrounder override for that app with the multitasking method set to "backgrounder" and "fall back to native" disabled.