+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Skype woes

is a discussion within the

Apple AppStore App Discussion

forums, a part of the

3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touch

section;
Hi, The other day I was testing out skypes app on the iPhone 3G using skypeout via o2's 3G service to measure the quality and see if it would be
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Skype woes
    Hi,

The other day I was testing out skypes app on the iPhone 3G using skypeout via o2's 3G service to measure the quality and see if it would be a viable solution to long phone calls while on the move.

I have an unlimited plan with skype so it would be excellent if I could use this on the move, however when I called a friend (whose on a landline) on it although I could hear my friends voice very clearly with no distortion my friend reported he hardly could make out my sentences, saying some words were getting through while others it kept loosing.

I tried to recreate this with my home phone also and began to see what he meant, I could say a sentence of words and half of it kept breaking up.

Now I live in Manchester, uk and have full bars reception should I be having this problem? If I'm on wifi I don't have this problem

Has anyone else encountered a similar problem using skypeout over 3G on iPhone with full signal strength?

Cheers

Thanks
    Thanked 14,775 Times in 6,871 Posts

I am not in the UK but have similar issues with skype over 3G. I believe latency is the root of the problem, at least for me. My carriers 3G is fast but has poor latency so the back and forth communication is very slow even if my download speed is pretty good.

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Exactly. Skype on my 3G connection is just like talking on a satellite phone...if people talk at the same time I become broken. Take turns talking and it works?