+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Do not use Itunes to update apps

is a discussion within the

Apple AppStore App Discussion

forums, a part of the

3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touch

section;
If you are on 3.1.2 and want all your apps to remain compatible with 3.1.2, do not use Itunes to update your apps. Use the appstore version on your Iphone
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Default Do not use Itunes to update apps
    If you are on 3.1.2 and want all your apps to remain compatible with 3.1.2, do not use Itunes to update your apps. Use the appstore version on your Iphone instead.

What happens when you do the update using Itune on your desktop or laptop: Itunes will download the latest app versions and some of them will only be compatible with ios 4.0 and delete the previous version. So when you go to sync your phone, you get the message that the apps were not sync because it require ios 4.0(if your Iphone is on 3.1.2). The next time you sync, it will ask you if you want to delete those apps since the affected apps will automatically be unchecked.

To avoid that, locate the affected apps that are only ios 4.0 compatible. Move them out of the mobile application directory. Connect your Iphone and choose "transfer purchase from Iphone 3Gs(or whatever your Iphone is)", and it will restore the 3.1.2 version of the affected apps back in your computer. You might have to click "transfer purchase.." a few time. Verify that you have the compatible version in your mobile application directory and then go ahead and delete the ios 4.0 version of the apps that you moved out earlier.

I almost lost the use of motionXGPS since I don't want to update my 3Gs to 4.0 yet.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aquaholik For This Useful Post:

BennyPR (07-11-2010), sgt.pepper (07-07-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone sgt.pepper's Avatar
    Thanks

ah. thats intresting. thank you for posting this! iwouldve done so otherwise. +1 thanks aha

HIT THANKS IF I HELPED!

13 recovery mode restores
    7 dfu mode restores
    2 custom firmware restores

Thanks

I always use my phone to update apps but all mine are > 50MB so...