Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Opera Mini -- Surprising Benefit

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Default Opera Mini -- Surprising Benefit
    Since using Opera Mini my 3G 3.1.2 has been more responsive. It's true

How can this be? Well .... I'm probably a typical user, check mail, browse a little, an app here and there, maybe a game, back to email, browse some more, etc. What I've noticed? When using the default Safari, when both the Mail and Safari apps are loaded --- the default, the phone is a bit sluggish. Other apps will load, an occasional memory-hungry game might not the first time, but will immediately after. Over all I used to reboot my phone several times / day to make sure everything was good and clean.

Since 1.01 Opera Mini was released (1.0 wouldn't render most sites correctly) I started using it on a regular basis. I don't know why, but it appears to clean (aka free) the unnecessary system memory. Everything seems more responsive --- I don't notice a lag when moving around, or restarting Opera or other apps. Now I don't even force close Mail

All in all, using Opera Mini (instead of Safari) has restored my normal phone experience.

This may be localize to myself --- but I doubt it.

I love opera : )

Rather than rebooting, you could simply use SBSettings or another task manager to kill the open Safari and Mail apps. Alternatively, if not jailbroken, you can force Safari to close entirely by closing all tabs before exiting, or if you want to keep them in memory, force-quit by holding the Sleep button until the "slide to power off" screen appears and then hold Home until the app force quits.

Yeah I don't think it's that much of a deal since you can still exit Safari completely. Still, Opera is okay. Some sites don't load correctly, but overall its good.

I beleive opera keeps a cache of many web pages so that they can load faster. So in a way, ur viewing the page from operas server, not from the page itself. skyfire for windows mobile works the same way. Another proof is that in my school many sites are blocked like YouTube and facebook, which don't work in safari, but work in opera. Maybe because it's viewing from operas server? Which isn't blocked in my school

I think you're just receiving the page from Opera's servers. Every thing is being sent through their servers and sent to you from their servers.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Thats how opera mini works, Its also how they base their speed on. It sends the pages in a smaller compressed file and the iphone extracts that smaller page. There is a cidia addon called safariquitter which as you exit safari automatically quits like if you went onto sbsettings and turned it off.

Why not just open a blank page in safari, close the page with info, leave the blank page, then click the home button. That exits safari all the way.

Or just install SafariQuitter.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gage006 View Post
    Or just install SafariQuitter.
    Safari Quitteer is unsupported and abandoned.

Issue 1 - iphone-tweaks - Safari Quitter - Project Hosting on Google Code

I'm still waiting for an app for iphone that can load flash/divx/ect. If anyone knows of any, please let me know.

I think skyfire does? Is that correct? And if so where would I get it? Cydia?
    Last edited by replytodan; 05-11-2010 at 07:26 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I also love Opera,great!