Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: whatsapp not connecting on 3G

Default whatsapp not connecting on 3G
    Hi all,

I've researched a lot about issues with whatsapp and the only common problem I can find is regarding push notifications not working over 3G however I have a different issue.

The push part works fine, however when I then open the app to retrieve the message it says it is experiencing problems with my connection and to try in firewall mode (which ive tried and it does not solve it)

I really use this app a lot and am keen to know why this issue is happening. I'm on an unlocked unofficial carrier (t-mobile uk) iphone 3G 3.1.2.

I've tried with a couple of different cellular data APN's but this doesnt seem to help. I can get all other internet access/load pages in safari so its not my connection its a whatsapp issueg. Have also tried removing the app and reinstalling.

Any help much appreciated.

I'm on t-mobile UK too and WhatsApp is working fine.

I just checked my data network settings for you and it's all blank. Have you tried that?

The only other difference is that my 3GS is a factory unlocked iPhone.

thanks for your reply. Yes I previously had blank APN's so changed them for some tmobile ones I found online. It hasn't made a difference to my web browsing however it also hasn't affected whatsapp.

I did read this on the whatsapp blog. I think this must be the cause, despite t-mobile uk not being listed (ironically I know someone on orange UK and its working fine...)

unfortunately, now would be a good time to mention what went wrong with the 2.3 release. in an attempt to optimize how our application connects to our service, it looks like people on the following mobile networks can no longer connect to WhatsApp over 3G/UMTS (while still able to connect via Wi-Fi):

Bouygues Telecom, France

SingTel, Singapore

M1, Singapore

Mobily, Saudi Arabia

Zian, Kuwait

Optus, Australia

Cellcom, Israel.

Etisalat, UAE

Orange, France

Orange, UK

PCCW, Hong Kong

T-Mobile, USA

China Telecom, China

Smartone-Vodafone, Hong Kong

I have a similar problem:
    whenever I exit whatsapp it disconnects; I can no longer receive messages. When I launch whatsapp again I can see "connecting" in the settings pane then as soon as it connects it displays the new messages. This happens even if I quickly exit and restart too.

No problems with other Push notifications.
    I have 3G(s) with 3.1.2 jailbroken and OFFICIALLY unlocked.
    Same problem with WiFi and Edge.
    Any ideas????

Thanks!
    Last edited by Kozmossis; 04-13-2010 at 07:37 PM. Reason: update

Quote Originally Posted by Kozmossis View Post
    I have a similar problem:
    whenever I exit whatsapp it disconnects; I can no longer receive messages. When I launch whatsapp again I can see "connecting" in the settings pane then as soon as it connects it displays the new messages. This happens even if I quickly exit and restart too.

No problems with other Push notifications.
    I have 3G(s) with 3.1.2 jailbroken and OFFICIALLY unlocked.
    Same problem with WiFi and Edge.
    Any ideas????

Thanks!
    hi i have the same problem as soon as i exit the program the connection goes. my push notifications all work on other programs like facebook does anyone know why or how to fix it

Default Update
    The only way I got it working properly again was by restoring
    Do or did you have Lockinfo installed? A friend of mine had the same problem, one thing we had in common was Lockinfo....

i have lock info installed too...

Did anyone find a solution to how to keep whatsapp AND lockinfo? Right now I have to sacrafice LockInfo (uninstalled it the moment I stumble across this tread) which sucks cuz I do like it.

Default whatsapp network not connecting - on iphone 3GS
    Hi

I have an iphone 3 GS and i installed Whatsapp. It worked fine and I could send msgs to my friends.

However after a while, when i open it again I see its not connected. And the network status says - connecting and stays d same for ever.

I am on wifi and other things are working fine so there is no network issue I know. Can this be related to locking or anything else?