+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone Graffiti

is a discussion within the

Apple AppStore App Discussion

forums, a part of the

3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touch

section;
Does anyone remember the uber simple Palm OS Graffiti, that recognized single-touch strokes & translated to text? The whole reason I bought the iPhone, was because I figured it wouldn't
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Question iPhone Graffiti
    Does anyone remember the uber simple Palm OS Graffiti, that recognized single-touch strokes & translated to text? The whole reason I bought the iPhone, was because I figured it wouldn't be difficult to add that function (legally or hacked). It is a basic handwriting recognition program to input text.

Can anyone tell me how to get that kind of simple finger stroke=text IME onto the iPhone??? The iPhone seems sooo much more sophisticated, I am surprised I have not found a way so far.

Thanks

Livin the iPhone Life wannabprogramma's Avatar
    Thanks

It would be cool...but the reason you haven't found it is because the palm used a stylus...it was easier to write then it was to peck little buttons, the iPhone uses fingers, so it's easy to peck but writing with your finger is a pain and you would only be able to do one letter at a time and even if it was the best app ever sometimes it would make a mistake, so it would make it much slower to type or text.....
    The Next Generation of Phreaks.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wannabprogramma View Post
    It would be cool...but the reason you haven't found it is because the palm used a stylus...it was easier to write then it was to peck little buttons, the iPhone uses fingers, so it's easy to peck but writing with your finger is a pain and you would only be able to do one letter at a time and even if it was the best app ever sometimes it would make a mistake, so it would make it much slower to type or text.....
    Stylus or fingers, it's still basically just shape recognition. The only reason we still type on a keyboard on the iPhone IS because there is no alternative method. As sophisticated the iPhone is, I'm surprised. The entire iPhone screen is one big touch-sensitive area.

Yes. One can make mistakes writing. But, it also had its own quick delete stroke, so you could correct it instantly, & just continue. I seem to make so many mistakes on the little keyboards, I end up deleting words or having to slowly, deliberately hunt & pick the keys. Graffiti recognized the shape that you entered, so you didn't even need to look at your fingers. You could write a sentence (or paragraph) w/ your eyes closed! It was as fast as taking your own shorthand notes, but it came out as perfectly typed & legible dictation.

}I am extremely happy if other people find success w/ the keyboard. But, I seem to have a great deal of trouble. Graffiti has proven very effective for me in the past, & w/ it I would be much more productive & derive greater use & enjoyment from my iPhone.

Does anyone know how to install Palm OS Graffiti (or something similar) on the iPhone?

Livin the iPhone Life wannabprogramma's Avatar
    Thanks

As much as I think it may be a waste I'll see if I can hack my old palm and either port graffiti or give it to someone else to port.....no promises though so if someone else wants to try go for it...
    The Next Generation of Phreaks.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Yes Please!
    Quote Originally Posted by wannabprogramma View Post
    As much as I think it may be a waste I'll see if I can hack my old palm and either port graffiti or give it to someone else to port.....no promises though so if someone else wants to try go for it...
    I imagine it would be hard to hack and port across. Pity HWpen seems to have died out, or become totally chinese oriented.

But it would be great if someone could write it from scratch

I so loved grafitti, I was so fast with it!

Thanks guys