Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: "The more apps u installed 4 ur iphone, the faster battery power used up" IS IT TRUE?

Default "The more apps u installed 4 ur iphone, the faster battery power used up" IS IT TRUE?
    I feel so frustrated that my battery power has been used up so quickly everytime! I google it and found out that someone on the another iphone forum saids "The more apps u installed 4 ur iphone, the faster battery power used up" . IS IT TRUE?

I've tested the usage of my battery power on today: I turned on my phone at 10:05am and standby all the time till 12:45pm. (160 mins). The battery power reduce apparently from 100% to 83%. that means 17% pf the battery power has been used up in just 160 mins....

Furthermore, due to the power concern,I've already set the brightness at this level:

I was frighten by that result....WHY IS THAT? i'm just let my phone standby, and cant imaging it still used up 17% of the bettery power........

so just want to know is the above statement true? the more apps u have the faster battery power has been use up? cos i got approx. 162 applications and another 16 in the spotlight..........

As a result, I am considering to buy a INCASE POWER SLIDER ($99) hope it can help. anyone have any ideas of this item?

THANKS
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -img_2641.png  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to XFRX For This Useful Post:

tkhan12 (09-02-2009)

How many apps you have installed has no impact on battery life. The biggest culprits are always screen brightness, which you have at an ok level and mail refresh.

Do you have any mail accounts set up and how often do you have them checking for new mail?

If you're jailbroken then a whole load of other stuff that can impact battery life. But for the most part, only things that are running often/constantly will drain the battery.

I'm a helpful jerk, fear me.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Happy Noodle Boy For This Useful Post:

tkhan12 (09-02-2009)

Thanks

I also find the battery on the iphone dies quickly... Im only new to the iphone world, its gonna take some getting used too.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Atari.2600 For This Useful Post:

tkhan12 (09-02-2009)

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Noodle Boy View Post
    How many apps you have installed has no impact on battery life. The biggest culprits are always screen brightness, which you have at an ok level and mail refresh.

Do you have any mail accounts set up and how often do you have them checking for new mail?

If you're jailbroken then a whole load of other stuff that can impact battery life. But for the most part, only things that are running often/constantly will drain the battery.
    no, i didn't set up any mail account, icq, msn etc on my phone.

besides, i also turned off the 3G networkds, blutooth etc in order to save some power. Nevertheless, it still consume so quickly.

My old phone needs to charge the battery everyday after come back home, and i thought this is so unconvenient because sometimes u may forgot to do so . when i changed to 3GS, it even goes worst;the battery of the new phone cant even keep it works for 1 FULL day compared as the old one. the phone will definitely runs out of battery at 3:30pm-4:15pm EVERYDAY! (my old one can keep runs at 9-11 pm everyday).

8. The Following User Says Thank You to XFRX For This Useful Post:

tkhan12 (09-02-2009)

1. do you have winterboard install and is currently using any themes?
    2. do you have any cydia application such as irealsms, stack,battery control, or anything add to the mobile saturate.
    i have experience battery draining fast too, but since i stop using winterboard and have less program running on mobile saturate,the battery actually last longer now.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to goodgod2 For This Useful Post:

tkhan12 (09-02-2009)

Quote Originally Posted by goodgod2 View Post
    1. do you have winterboard install and is currently using any themes?
    2. do you have any cydia application such as irealsms, stack,battery control, or anything add to the mobile saturate.
    i have experience battery draining fast too, but since i stop using winterboard and have less program running on mobile saturate,the battery actually last longer now.

my iphone didnt jailbreak yet.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to XFRX For This Useful Post:

tkhan12 (09-02-2009)

My iPhone is a Part of Me kwickone's Avatar
    Thanks

The biggest thing I have seen suck battery is simply the current cell coverage. If you are in a weak cell covered area, or a "strange" one. Your iPhone will keep trying to connect (for whatever: email, weather info, etc). Those constant connection attempts are a real drain.

What I mean by "strange" coverage....I have been in an area with 3G and full bars of strength, but cannot get email. Very odd. But if I move around, I can intermittently get email. This does not happen very often, but I just experienced this in downtown San Francisco.
    kwickone I.T.H.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to kwickone For This Useful Post:

tkhan12 (09-02-2009)

Quote Originally Posted by kwickone View Post
    The biggest thing I have seen suck battery is simply the current cell coverage. If you are in a weak cell covered area, or a "strange" one. Your iPhone will keep trying to connect (for whatever: email, weather info, etc). Those constant connection attempts are a real drain.

What I mean by "strange" coverage....I have been in an area with 3G and full bars of strength, but cannot get email. Very odd. But if I move around, I can intermittently get email. This does not happen very often, but I just experienced this in downtown San Francisco.
    I c, i think this answer make sense cos my phone always have bad signal whenever i make a phone call to someone. But how come my old phone didnot drains the battery power so quickly even in the same circumstance (in the same weak cell coverage)? furthermore, i cant believe keeping the constant connection attempts will let the power drains so quickly..........

16. The Following User Says Thank You to XFRX For This Useful Post:

tkhan12 (09-02-2009)

the more u use the apps
    Sign by Danasoft - Get Your Free Sign

The Family iPhone 2G , iPhone 3G ,Iphone 3Gs , Iphone 4
    13" MacBook ( Black )

18. The Following User Says Thank You to DMI187 For This Useful Post:

tkhan12 (09-02-2009)

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,003 Times in 565 Posts

I have had my phones all full of apps (every page on the phone used) and I don't noticed my battery dyeing faster at all.... none of my phones are jailbroken either...

Here is some tips that I go by..

Apple - Batteries - iPhone

"Always remember your special and unique!"

20. The Following User Says Thank You to thetoothfairy For This Useful Post:

tkhan12 (09-02-2009)

Quote Originally Posted by thetoothfairy View Post
    I have had my phones all full of apps (every page on the phone used) and I don't noticed my battery dyeing faster at all.... none of my phones are jailbroken either...

hmm...that's weird...it seems definitely the network coverage problem...

Quote Originally Posted by thetoothfairy View Post

Thank you very much for your link, it's so much helpful.

However i dont understand some terminogies and smth:

1: According to the link:Minimize use of location services: Applications that actively use location services such as Maps may reduce battery life. To disable location services, go to Settings > General > Location Services or use location services only when needed.

WHAT is Location Service for? what will happen if I turn it off?

2:According to the link: Turn off push notifications: Some applications from the App Store use the Apple Push Notification Service to alert you of new data. Those applications that extensively rely on push notifications (such as instant messaging applications) may impact battery life. To disable push notifications, go to Settings > Notifications and set Notifications to Off. Note that this does not prevent new data from being received when the application is opened. Also, the Notifications setting will not be visible if you do not have any applications installed that support push notifications.

Is that mean I cant receive anymore notifications about the latest update of the apps?

3: what's FETCH NEW DATA? what will happen if i turn it off?

NO WONDER MY BATTERY DRAINS SO QUICKLY... my phone tunrs on the above settings ...
    Last edited by XFRX; 09-03-2009 at 05:08 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

When you have fetch new data on then your iPhone will check your email (or some other apps you may have) for new mails at the interval you set it.

For example my Mail checks evgery 15 mins and if I have a mail it shows a badge on the mail with how many mails you have.

As far as the Cell coverage I definitely understand that. Even on my old Nokia which lasted 5 days in the city use to drain in a day when I was down in the countryside with no signal. Constantly looking for a signal uses a lot more battery than having a full bar constantly.

Quote Originally Posted by Mophandleman View Post
    When you have fetch new data on then your iPhone will check your email (or some other apps you may have) for new mails at the interval you set it.

For example my Mail checks evgery 15 mins and if I have a mail it shows a badge on the mail with how many mails you have.

As far as the Cell coverage I definitely understand that. Even on my old Nokia which lasted 5 days in the city use to drain in a day when I was down in the countryside with no signal. Constantly looking for a signal uses a lot more battery than having a full bar constantly.
    Thanks。 what about if i turn the fetch new data on whereas I didn't set up any mail account on my phone yet, will it still update every period ? will it still drains the battery life?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

It obviously won't have to download anything if there's no mail set up but it may still go checking and use a little battery. If you have no mails or IM you need updates for then you should just leave it off. It's not needed for anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Mophandleman View Post
    It obviously won't have to download anything if there's no mail set up but it may still go checking and use a little battery. If you have no mails or IM you need updates for then you should just leave it off. It's not needed for anything else.
    I turned it off now. THANK YOU.