+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Best FREE SMS/Text App? Any suggestions?

is a discussion within the

Apple AppStore App Discussion

forums, a part of the

3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touch

section;
What's the best option? I want to be able to use this for like 95% of my texting and I don't want to keep giving my friends and contacts different
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Best FREE SMS/Text App? Any suggestions?
    What's the best option? I want to be able to use this for like 95% of my texting and I don't want to keep giving my friends and contacts different numbers to text me at because it gets annoying.

Here's what I'm looking for:
    Shouldn't be forced to spend $10 to get a "free" text messaging app
    Some sort of push notification so I don't have to constantly open the app to check if I received a text.
    A consistent number people can text me at..it shouldn't be different every time. I want people to be able to just program this into their phone and be able to text me using that number every time.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have checked out AIM (free version), it seems pretty good I'm not sure if there's a better option out there since there doesn't seem to be a way of saving transcripts.
    Last edited by salilsundresh; 08-07-2009 at 08:04 PM.

Thanks

Yeah, AIM is a great app, good enough that I decided to buy the ad-less version even though a few minutes of editing code would do the same thing.

I haven't tried any free SMS apps though, because I don't want friends having to go through extra trouble to communicate with me. I get 1500 texts a month and that's usually enough for me.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to GregTheWang For This Useful Post:

katastrophic (08-29-2011)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Yeah, the thing is there's a few people I text almost every day so it would save me some of my messages.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I am using textplus+ is has push. It doesnt have a specific number that you can text to but what i found out is that when i send a text to a certain person it will always come from the same number (unless i end the conversation in textplus but there is no reason to) So i just added that number to my contact on their phone.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Smile Send Free SMS Across India
    Send Free SMS Across India with www.smswala.co.in. An excellent site for sending reliable SMS, Wallpapers, movie reviews, music reviews, chat.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Messi.im can send text messages, pictures and locations, but only from iPhone to iPhone. It has push though and works pretty good.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Try google voice. U can create a second phone number, then it just uses the internet to send txt. It's displayed as a phone number at the recieving end, and the replied msg gets put into the sms section of app. Just make sure that u turn off the forwarding, if u dont google voice sends u a txt notifying u of a txt msg on your google voice account.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

you aren't willing to pay for your text messages.

yet you aren't willing to pay for a program that gives you free text messages?

so your asking for a free way, to get unlimited messaging? that doesn't even sound smart, i'd rather spend 10 bucks then someone randomly being able to see all my texts (what do you think those small time free messaging programs do?)

Green Apple
    Thanks

its google, i really hope they dont look into my msgs, someone could get in trouble :P

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Free Text App
    Waking up a dead thread..

If anyones still wanting a free texting app, i used textfree in the past but it recently went down due to the fact that they caught on to cracked versions being downloaded and used from Install - ous (without the -).

On a jailbroken ipod is the only way to get a 100% free texting app. Jailbreak your ipod, install the program 'Install - ous' from either rock or cydia (google for the source id) and then from Install - ous seach 'text' and install textplus.v2.5.1. from Gogii. Its a free text app, add free, with push notifications, picture sms, unlimited everything.

Feel free to email me with questions.
    [email protected]

Happy texting.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Textfree Unlimited.

It's free in the app store now. I've tried many and this IMO is the best. It very rarely fails me both on my iPhone 3G and my iPhone 4. Textfree gives you a new phone number. I liked it the best because it actually had a list of phone numbers for my area (and many others) whereas other apps like Textnow or textplus didn't have any area codes that I wanted. I mean area code isn't a huge deal but I just like having my phone numbers be in the right area code :P

13. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

katastrophic (08-29-2011)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

If you like text pictures see also Text Candy PRo. It is an app to send creative text images and send them to friends and loved ones. Includes ready pictures and movie characters animals and fun holiday text pictures! You can create your own text pictures. Share text pictures via email or Facebook.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

For texting for me the best apps are WhatsApp and Skype
    My new iPhone app - Photo Punk'd on the Apple Store

Green Apple
    Thanks
    If you still can't find an app that you like, you could always try directly emailing a mobile number. It works both ways, and it doesn't count as internet access if you text an email address from your phone.

How To Send Email To Any Cell Phone (for Free)

The only issue i've had with this is that sometimes messages over 140 characters don't properly split and get cut off.

My iPhone is a Part of Me thecrunked's Avatar
    Thanks

kik and viber work pretty good, the only downside is that the other user must have them installed, but they are both instant and pop up on ios just like a text would. and free with no ads

kik is nice because its fast and simple and has a nice ui

viber is nice because your username is your actual cell # and it will auto find other viber users in your contacts list. it can also make free calls over 3g/wifi. i find it a little ugly, but who cares, it works

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default textfree
    Quote Originally Posted by i.Annie View Post
    Textfree Unlimited.

It's free in the app store now. I've tried many and this IMO is the best. It very rarely fails me both on my iPhone 3G and my iPhone 4. Textfree gives you a new phone number. I liked it the best because it actually had a list of phone numbers for my area (and many others) whereas other apps like Textnow or textplus didn't have any area codes that I wanted. I mean area code isn't a huge deal but I just like having my phone numbers be in the right area code :P
    You can't send pictures Internationally with it though. I just tried yesterday and it said you can't send pics to a number outside the US.

Thanks

I wasn't aware the topic was regarding international messaging. Most people don't use international messaging.

HeyWire does international texting for free but no MMS. it's probably inevitable that you'd just have to pay for an international messaging rate for your carrier.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Oh, I don't think the thread is about that. I was just mentioning that I was unhappy I couldn't send a pic to my cousin in Canada. No worries.

Thanks

Try Facebook that's how I share things with my cousins in Taiwan.