+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Solely GPS Based Apps

is a discussion within the

Apple AppStore App Discussion

forums, a part of the

3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touch

section;
I'm looking for any GPS app that just uses GPS and not any Data. I dont have a data plan (I really really want one) and I am in need
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default Solely GPS Based Apps
    I'm looking for any GPS app that just uses GPS and not any Data. I dont have a data plan (I really really want one) and I am in need to use the GPS on my iphone. Any help would be great.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,086 Times in 224 Posts

to my knowledge, there is NO way to have gps capabilities without internet data plan on your iPhone. I might be wrong....You might want to take a look at Navigon

Thanks
    Thanked 9,676 Times in 5,939 Posts

edit, I stand corrected. Was unaware of G-maps.
    Last edited by blkcadi; 07-01-2009 at 05:01 PM.

Thanks

G-maps on AppStore $ 29.99 and I use it everyday. No data required

Thanks

I would wait a few weeks because TomTom is going to release GPS navigation software to the Apple Store. TomTom would be my first choice. I suspect that TomTom's pricing will be about $99 for the software and probably $30 more for their docking kit for your car. That is just a guess. The Dock not only secures the iPhone to the dash or window, it also keeps your iPhone charged.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YskygegTjAU]YouTube - TomTom for iPhone - turn-by-turn navigation for iPhone[/ame]

I don't recommend the current version of G-Map v1.3 in the App Store. It does not have turn by turn directions or voice navigation. So wait...

XRoadGPS the makers of G-Map have submitted a new version to the App Store that supports turn by turn voice directions and will pronounce street names. It hasn't been approved by Apple, so it won't show up for another week or two. Here is a demo of it from YouTube. It looks pretty cool.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urwfnMZmrs4]YouTube - G-Map U.S. iPhone Voice Guidance Preview[/ame]

For me the decision will come down to price. If the new version of G-Map is priced significantly lower than TomTom, I will probably purchase G-Map. Otherwise, I will go with TomTom.
    Last edited by reddawg; 07-02-2009 at 01:12 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    that looks great, but i live in Canada, so is there any apps for USA and Canada?

Thanks

TomTom doesnt really show anything what itll be like, but man that G Map w/ voice navigation is freaking awesome

I'd be interested

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

"XRoadGPS the makers of G-Map have submitted a new version to the App Store that supports turn by turn voice directions"
    where did you read this, I can't find any info on them submitting a new version

Thanks

"XRoadGPS the makers of G-Map have submitted a new version to the App Store that supports turn by turn voice directions"
    where did you read this, I can't find any info on them submitting a new version
    I e-mailed their marketing department and received the following reply:
    Sent: Mon 6/29/2009 12:12 PM

Thank you. The G-map new version is in review at AppStore and should be available in one or two weeks. It depends on how fast Apple finishes the review.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sent: 6/23/2009 12:21 PM
    To: [email protected]
    Subject: Re: G-Map U.S. iPhone Voice Guidance

I just recently saw a demo your GPS navigation system for the iPhone 3G at YouTube.

I was very impressed by your products features, GUI and easy of use. Before I saw a demo of your soon to be release product, I was going to purchase TomTom for the iPhone. Since both products are not yet released, can you let me know when G-Map U.S. for the iPhone 3G with Voice Guidance will be released (Days, weeks or months)?

Thanks in advance,

Thanks

Right on, if TomToms is ridiculously priced GMap it is

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

New version of xroad gmaps west is out. Price went up to $35. Old version of gmaps east is $25. Might wan to get it now before the price increases.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Yes Gmap is getting better and better, when I first bought it, it was only $19.99

Thanks

I hope they introduce the G-Map U.S. East version 1.3.1 at $35.99. It's hasn't shown up in the AppStore yet.

Does anyone know if the new version of G-Maps 1.3.1 supports Contacts for selecting addresses for routing? The previous versions 1.2 and 1.3 did not.
    Last edited by reddawg; 07-04-2009 at 01:29 AM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Navigon for Eu is great - and actually accurate..

It should be out for US soon as well.
    I have posted a review.
    It is a little pricey but worth it..

Thanks

Well, XRoadGPS has released the new G-Map U.S. East & West navigation software (v1.3.1) that supports voice guidance turn by turn instructions.

While it is cool it supports voice guidance turn by turn instructions, it is disappointing that it does not resemble the review performed by Mr. Pence at tapcritic.com.

TapCritic G-Map U.S. – Voice Guidance Preview!!

Why G-Map version 1.3.1 is disapointing:
    1. It still has the old 1.2 / 1.3 version graphic user interface and not the interface shown in the review by Tapcritic.com.
    2. Voice prompts on turn by turn instructions, like turn right, take exist ahead on the left. It does not speak street names. This is very disappointing!!!
    3. No Contact intergration.
    4. No landscape mode, like in the app demo.
    5. It still has the stupid game feature that was added to version 1.3.
    6. It lacks many of the features shown in the review, like split screen turn instructions. Spoken instructions when selecting menu items.
    What I don't know yet, is whether they addressed the issue where you had to disable the screen lock outside the program. xGPS allows you to do this in the program preferences.

Read the reviews in the AppStore and make up your own mind. If this is the best XRoadsGPS can do, I'll wait for TomTom. I am curious what other people think of G-Map version 1.3.1.

One last thought, TomTom is probably going to cost $99, G-Map currently cost $34.99 for 1/2 the USA (East = $34.99 & West = $34.99). XRoadGPS is going to increase price for G-Map U.S. East and G-Map U.S. West soon, so is it really cheaper than TomTom? TomTom will include software and maps for the entire USA for about $99.
    Last edited by reddawg; 07-05-2009 at 11:04 PM.
    "When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather did...not kicking and screaming like the passengers in his car." -- Unknown