Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Twitter app that has push?

Default Twitter app that has push?
    It seems there are a couple hundred twitter applications for the iPhone. I'm looking for one that has "Push" because I use twitter like a RSS feed and I would like to stay updated.

Thanks

I don't believe there is one yet but i would keep checking around. Most devs are just starting to be able to implement push into their apps.
    160GB iPod Classic
    8GB 2G - Firmware 2.2.1 PWN'D
    8GB 3G - Firmware 3.0 PWN'D
    16GB 3G S - Firmware 3.0 Ra1n'n Purple
    64GB iPad 3G - Spirit'd
    32GB iPhone 4

Twitter won't allow something like push to work. The API only allows 100 "pings" to the Twitter servers for new stuff. This is based and filtered by IP so any push server trying to check and send push notifications to hundreds if not thousands of users would go over the limit in about 2 seconds and get locked out.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Noodle Boy View Post
    Twitter won't allow something like push to work. The API only allows 100 "pings" to the Twitter servers for new stuff. This is based and filtered by IP so any push server trying to check and send push notifications to hundreds if not thousands of users would go over the limit in about 2 seconds and get locked out.
    Lame

But you can have a twitter client that checks every 15 min and then supplies a notification of updates.

No you can't because the push server for the app would be the one checking for ALL accounts using the app. The 100 limit applies to the server, not to an individual account. So if the app has more than 100 users, it would lock itself out instantly.
    The only way this would work is through a backgrounded kailbroken app that acts as a server and "fakes" push notifications.
    Last edited by Happy Noodle Boy; 06-25-2009 at 10:06 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone PSYC0TIC ONE's Avatar
    Thanks

kind of on topic but, what is the "best" twitter app out there? i used twitterfon for a little bit but didn't like it, i really like tweetdeck but, it is still a bit buggy, i really like the "columns" you can add...

just curious what others are using... i don't mind paying for one that is worth it...
    Last edited by PSYC0TIC ONE; 06-26-2009 at 03:10 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,058 Times in 6,146 Posts

I have tried them all, trust me. It kinda depends on your needs. I really like tweetie the best. But since the upgrade I hate the trends feature now, one at a time have to refreash for more.
    Twiiterific Pro is an awesome one too, love the customization and it does it all. But I think it cost like $10.00 so pricey.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Noodle Boy View Post
    No you can't because the push server for the app would be the one checking for ALL accounts using the app. The 100 limit applies to the server, not to an individual account. So if the app has more than 100 users, it would lock itself out instantly.
    The only way this would work is through a backgrounded kailbroken app that acts as a server and "fakes" push notifications.
    I think when people refer to push for twitter, is about @s and DMs...and regarding that, there will be several solutions. The first is OUT

Here is IM+ happily pushing twitter messages to my 3g

Yfrog - wgt - Uploaded by antonioj

iPhone? More like MyPhone PSYC0TIC ONE's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blkcadi View Post
    I have tried them all, trust me. It kinda depends on your needs. I really like tweetie the best. But since the upgrade I hate the trends feature now, one at a time have to refreash for more.
    Twiiterific Pro is an awesome one too, love the customization and it does it all. But I think it cost like $10.00 so pricey.
    yeah, i keep going back to tweetie about to click the button to purchase it but... the one feature i don't want to give up from tweetdeck is the "user groups"... but, i don't know... lol

thanks for your input though buddy!!!

Thanks

Yeah guys, give the new IM+ a try... it has push for Twitter and it works great.

IM+ is a poor app for Twitter though.

You can use it only to get notifications, then use another app to post. To get notifications it works very well

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

There might be some which I don't know about. But I am thinking of a different way. Which would be asking some iPhone apps developers create something new with push facility and with other functional requirements as well. I have found a site which seems to provide this service.