+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Navigon.

is a discussion within the

Apple AppStore App Discussion

forums, a part of the

3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touch

section;
I recently downloaded the new NAVIGON software for iPhone and decided to post a short review on it I have had the software for a day now and have had
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default Navigon.
    I recently downloaded the new NAVIGON software for iPhone and decided to post a short review on it

I have had the software for a day now and have had chance to test it out and about.

App store summery :

NAVIGON is introducing the first professional navigation solution for the iPhone!

Turn your iPhone into a first-rate navigation system with MobileNavigator. Try the feature for yourself and enjoy the excellent user control and superior design that allow simple and intuitive operating. The application includes the latest map material from the market leader NAVTEQ and can be used without an Internet connection, which is of enormous benefit abroad, for example, as no extra charges are incurred. With MobileNavigator you can turn your iPhone into an equally handy and convenient route guidance system.

Features and range of functions:

* 2D and 3D map displays
    * Can be used in portrait and landscape format
    * Precise voice announcements
    * Intelligent address entry
    * Reality View Pro (realistic display of motorway interchanges and exits)
    * Lane Assistant Pro
    * Real signpost display
    * Speed Assistant with adjustable audio-visual warning
    * Day and night mode for map display
    * Direct access and navigation to contacts saved in the iPhone's address book

* The latest NAVTEQ map material including more than two million (EU version) places of interest (POIs)
    * Navigation is automatically resumed after an incoming phone call
    * Quick access to user-defined POIs in the area and along the route
    * Take Me Home function with a single click
    * Automatic language selection to match the iPhone's user language
    I have included some action shots of the interface for your benefit

The whole program is very quick to load up and the maps load instantly as you scroll through or as you drive along. There is no need for an internet connection (Hence the 1.7GB file!!) which makes it great for motorway driving when internet can sometimes be a little touch and go!

So far as I know, the maps are only available for EU but some have tried to mod the program to include US maps.

Short Youtube demonstration from NAVIGON - [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1mEpGtcnTI"]Here[/ame]

Credits go to App Store and NAVIGON

iPhone? More like MyPhone bbplayer5's Avatar
    Thanks

I really wish they would release this for US Im holding off on a GPS. Might have to wait for tomtom.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Are all navigation apps basically 100 dollars?

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

ATT released their navigator yesterday. The app is free but there is a $10 monthly subscription fee.

Green Apple
    Thanks

dang...nice app!!!
    1.1.3 JAIlbrken

ATT locked

Summerboard help

Livin the iPhone Life Happy Noodle Boy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by haibane View Post
    There's only two choices with most/all GPS apps:
    1- One-time $100+ fee
    2- $8-10 monthly fee

Take a pick.

I'm a helpful jerk, fear me.

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by haibane View Post
    You would be better off strolling into a store and purchasing a stand alone GPS for a few bucks more.

I like the view on this app. It looks very well done.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Here's my view after playing with this app.

Pro's
    Looks good, as you can see from the screen shots the maps look nice and the POI icons are well done.

Clear instructions: The posh english lady voice provides clear instructions at a excelent level, ie not too chatty, but not too late for reacting too.

The reality view of motorway junctions looks excelent and is better drawn than Tomtoms version.

Con's
    The map view is permanently zoomed out too far, it's not as dynamic as Tomtoms and therefore not as clear in places. Also as you can see from the screenshots, the more you zoom out, the more POI icons you can see, which clutters the screen up more, and those icons are so zoomed out, they are just coloured blobs when the device is on a windscreen mount.

Some basic functions are missing like managing roadblocks. For example I hit a roadclosure with no diversion yet in place, I had to drive aimlessly for a long time before Navigon would stop trying to send me back to the same point and found another route.

The advance lane icons are small and difficult to interpret at times.

However all of the above pales into insignificance at the stupid way Apple implement phone calls etc. Considering they "announced" Turn by turn instructions at WWDC as a big thing you think they might have better implemented it. Yes when you recieve a phone call, your sat nav application quits while you go to the phone app for the duration of the call, before quiting then re-starting the sat nav app. Also after a longer call this may mean your GPS lock has been broken, and trying to regain lock while moving can be a struggle for the on-board GPS.

On WinMo when you get a call the phone app displays the incoming call, but when you accept it, it drops back to a muted Sat Nav for the duration of the call and when the call ends it is un-muted.
    Why Apple didn't allow for a call to be displayed as a notification and for the phone app to run in the background leaving the sat nav is beyond me, because this is potentially useless for many customers. and makes buying a seperate GPS way more sensible for your money.

Now I understand Tomtom is getting direct input from Apple, so whether they will cheat and make Tomtom work better who knows. However if you are undecided I say don't buckle yet. After experience of Tomtom on WinMo it has potential to be significantly better. Also don't under estimate how cool IQ routes are.

My iPhone is a Part of Me stocis's Avatar
    Thanks

can u ssh and check in which format are the maps?
    maybe we can edit the software and have our own (already purchased) maps from other devices such as garmin and/or tom-tom. If its the same format it might work.
    Thanks is an acknowledgment

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

hey, does anyone know if this will work with iphone 2g running jailbroken 3.0 os?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stocis View Post
    can u ssh and check in which format are the maps?
    maybe we can edit the software and have our own (already purchased) maps from other devices such as garmin and/or tom-tom. If its the same format it might work.

I looked all it says is United Kingdom.map
    Ricky

Thanks

My boyfriend has this app and we tried it last week when we drove from London to Brussels. It heats up the iPhone fast. I guess overall it's fine for a mobile device, but I wont be using it ever again lol. Still prefer tom tom go live.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Works great...

Best if u use in car power adaptor.
    Clear directions, good re-routing, good maps.

Reasonable price also. No need for single use devices like TTom.. much prefer having it all on iPhone or other mobile device..

Re JB iPhone 2G .... I *think* it will work with GPS serial (as I have that on my JB 3G phone) but don't quote me on it..

I tested it briefely and it did locate me.
    You might have to SSH or FTP it to the 2G device as iTunes may not allow it to go onto it as 'it does not work' according to iTunes (we know better)..

Good luck..
    Last edited by radiomean; 07-05-2009 at 11:56 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost