+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Textfree Unlimited + Gmail (Push Notications)

is a discussion within the

Apple AppStore App Discussion

forums, a part of the

3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touch

section;
So with Textfree Unlimited having push notifications enabled, I figured I would forward my emails to the address Textfree Unlimited provides you with in order to receive an alert that
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Textfree Unlimited + Gmail (Push Notications)
    So with Textfree Unlimited having push notifications enabled, I figured I would forward my emails to the address Textfree Unlimited provides you with in order to receive an alert that I have a new email.

If I were to forward or send an email to the TFU email address, the notifications comes up quickly as expected. However, when I have it automatically forwarded via filters or Gmail's forwarding options, TFU never receives it.

My question is if anybody has tried this yet. Also, is there another app that has a similar functionality to TFU?

Livin the iPhone Life Happy Noodle Boy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quick question: Why pay for Textfree Unlimited when any AIM IM App can do exactly the same... for free?

I'm a helpful jerk, fear me.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Because Textfree Unlimited gives you an email address which you can email messages to and receive push notifications when you receive it, even though it doesn't have the functionality of an email client. Kind of like a poor man's push email. I just felt there's some use I can make of that.

Correct me if im wrong, but I can't think of any IM program in which you can email your message to.

Thanks

But IM programs now have push notification so what's the point of forwarding your texts through email? Also, both Palringo (free) and Beejive ($$$) have push e-mail options if you're inclined to go that way.

edit: you can't email a text if that's what you're doing, I don't think I'm getting what you want : \

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Noodle Boy View Post
    But IM programs now have push notification so what's the point of forwarding your texts through email? Also, both Palringo (free) and Beejive ($$$) have push e-mail options if you're inclined to go that way.

edit: you can't email a text if that's what you're doing, I don't think I'm getting what you want :
    Yea you aren't catching what hes saying. What he wants is for his Gmail emails to forward directly to his Text Free email address so that he can have all of his gmail messages pop up on the phone through Push. He doesnt even want to use the IM or texting part of the program. He just wants it to create a push email system for all of his Gmail emails. Got it?

Thanks

Why not make a filter that archives your email in gmail and forwards them through Yahoo! Mail which does Push and is free rather than going through a paid app?

http://mobile.yahoo.com/iphone/mail

I got it now sorry for the mix-up. I was just stuck on the "texting" part of textfree. Seems like a lot of loop hunting.

Thanks

I would go for that if it didn't take over 25 minutes for Yahoo emails to arrive (if at all) They are very unreliable

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thanks seh6183 for the help in clarifying my question. But yeah I've periodically checked Yahoo's push system ever since it was announced in 2.0. I have never been able to get it to work consistently. I've read about paying for the "Plus" version, but I would rather pay Google to have push than Yahoo.

But yeah, setting up filters to forward to Textfree's email address doesn't seem to work. Ive also tried mail2im and hooking it up with google talk. That works, except that it sends multiple IM's for long emails. I'm sure you can imagine my frustration after having received several long emails.

Originally, i had important emails forwarded to my work's Exchange account which is hooked up to my iPhone. However, our email policy has changed and it has discouraged me from doing so.

Sigh, I just wish Google or somebody would create a Gmail notification app. I would gladly pay for that.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by borisdope View Post
    Thanks seh6183 for the help in clarifying my question. But yeah I've periodically checked Yahoo's push system ever since it was announced in 2.0. I have never been able to get it to work consistently. I've read about paying for the "Plus" version, but I would rather pay Google to have push than Yahoo.

But yeah, setting up filters to forward to Textfree's email address doesn't seem to work. Ive also tried mail2im and hooking it up with google talk. That works, except that it sends multiple IM's for long emails. I'm sure you can imagine my frustration after having received several long emails.

Originally, i had important emails forwarded to my work's Exchange account which is hooked up to my iPhone. However, our email policy has changed and it has discouraged me from doing so.

Sigh, I just wish Google or somebody would create a Gmail notification app. I would gladly pay for that.

AMEN

Just to let you know, there have been a few ways to do it in the past, but they have all expired. Mail2web was the first.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Well I just settled with a crude fix for TFU.

TFU's servers don't like the way GMail auto-forwards emails (for whatever reason), but it doesn't mind when Mail.app on OS X forwards it. So I have Gmail set up through IMAP on Mail.app with a rule to forward all emails to my TFU address. Only problem is Mail.app has to stay on for IMAP-IDLE -> forwarding to work.

Sigh, at least it seems like I have a Push Notification for Gmail. Makes me wonder if the 15 min fetch would be a better idea, even though I don't like Gmail through the mail app.

Thanks

I have tried forwarding from multiple different email accounts (hotmail, gmail, yahoo) and I cant get any of them to work. And Im not willing to have my comp running all day just to have push email alerts

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

App developers are fully responsible for this problem. Out of all, all people shouldn't have the same problem. I noticed when it comes to push notification, things get complicated. And the users are making high demand.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

well my little ghetto rigged mail.app forwarding method doesn't work that well either. very sporadic. not sure if mail.app isn't grabbing the emails through imap-idle (im not at home), if mail.app isnt forwarding correctly (havent checked recently), or if TFU isn't pushing/receiving the messages correctly (thats what im betting on).

so if it doesn't work with different the other email providers, i have to agree and say its with their servers.

Thanks

GMail is going to add push support soon enough anyway. Rather wait a couple of weeks than go through the hassle.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ad1tya View Post
    GMail is going to add push support soon enough anyway. Rather wait a couple of weeks than go through the hassle.
    Do you have any info or links to support that statement?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

yeah, shoot, if that were true i would stop researching this whole forwarding thing and ease my mind. where did you hear this from?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I just tried the same thing. it would be nice to have a gmail filter setup so that a message with the Subject "SMS" would be forwarded to your freetext account for example, and then the message would pop-up o your iPhone. Filters did not work, so I went to my server, and had IT forward to the message to freetext. here is what I got back.

This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
    recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

m*****[email protected]
    (ultimately generated from p****e@m***k.com)
    SMTP error from remote mail server after RCPT TO:<m****[email protected]>:
    host nicmail3.iomart.com [84.22.161.219]: 550 5.7.1 <m****[email protected]>... Relaying denied

------ This is a copy of the message, including all the headers. ------

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Strange. Its funny because I haven't taken off my forwarding rules in Mail.app on my Mac at home and every now and then I get a random Notification that I received my forwarded email.

Wonder why some outside emails go through while there servers reject the rest.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Well, I just have to say that I am finished trying to figure out the Textfree Unlimited problem now that Prowl has come out in the App Store. Works extremely well if you're fine keeping your computer on all day. Otherwise, I'll be awaiting Apple's decision on approving Gpush.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by borisdope View Post
    Well, I just have to say that I am finished trying to figure out the Textfree Unlimited problem now that Prowl has come out in the App Store. Works extremely well if you're fine keeping your computer on all day. Otherwise, I'll be awaiting Apple's decision on approving Gpush.
    It's not Apple. It's Google that needs to get it in gear. Gmail already allows IMAP Idle (which is needed for push) so it's like they're halfway there.