+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 3.0 Push E-mail

is a discussion within the

Apple AppStore App Discussion

forums, a part of the

3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touch

section;
I was looking around and trying to get my push e-mail working...and was just wondering if this feature is new to 3.0 or if its been around for awhile and
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Default 3.0 Push E-mail
    I was looking around and trying to get my push e-mail working...and was just wondering if this feature is new to 3.0 or if its been around for awhile and is just new for apps.

Also, how exactly do I get it to work? I'm using g-mail and hotmail and have never recieved a notification, do these two services simply not support push notification?

Thanks

Livin the iPhone Life TheOrioles33's Avatar
    Thanks

Push works with Exchange and services that offer Push. I dont believe GMAIL or HOTMAIL work. Push came out last year I believe.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,714 Times in 640 Posts

Yahoo and MobileMe are the only ones to offer Push that I know of.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Ah, alright. Thanks. Damn, I was hoping to be getting Push e-mail with 3.0 :P haha oh well

iPhone? More like MyPhone djdraco's Avatar
    Thanks

I think gmail only offers push on their phone. Dare we mention it's name?

Thanks

I created a little work around with my gmail push......

I did have to create a yahoo account but went to my gmail settings and had all my mail forwarded to my yahoo address and set the phone for push on yahoo accounts... works like a charm and perfectly....

just search google for setting up gmail to forward and you should be good to go with your yahoo acounts
    8Gig > 1.0 FW (dead spot on screen)
    8Gig > 1.0.2 FW (broken vibrate after a while)
    8Gig > 1.1.2>1.1.4>2.0>2.1>2.2(Jonny5 Still alive)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mrblader For This Useful Post:

Crotia (06-18-2009)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I did the same as above, but since I don't want people to reply to my yahoo account, I set up my embarq email account as a POP. On my embarq email account, I forward everything to yahoo, and have it set to not keep messages that it forwards... On the iphone, I have it set to never automatically check mail on my embarq account(not that I'd get any, since I set the embarq server settings to forward all email to Yahoo, then delete...).

When you have more than one email account setup on your iPhone, every time you reply to an email, you can pick which email address you want to send FROM... so all my messages look like they come from my embarq account. The only people that know I have a Yahoo email account are me, Yahoo!, and I suppose anyone reading this now.

It would be nice if you could change the default "FROM" field from yahoo to embarq, since as of now, I have to change it every time, but I only send maybe 3-4 emails/day.
    Last edited by James_78; 06-17-2009 at 10:21 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

That sounds like a pretty good deal for gmail, any idea what I can do for hotmail?

Okay, so I'm not sure if this is going to work because my phone / e-mail accounts are still being spammed. But what I did was add my hotmail as an account on gmail, and then forward all gmail mail to yahoo :P
    Last edited by Crotia; 06-18-2009 at 12:22 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mrblader View Post
    I created a little work around with my gmail push......

I did have to create a yahoo account but went to my gmail settings and had all my mail forwarded to my yahoo address and set the phone for push on yahoo accounts... works like a charm and perfectly....

just search google for setting up gmail to forward and you should be good to go with your yahoo acounts

I bet it does.

LOL

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

hmm, so what happened with yahoo and its push ?
    Just got a 3GS and its not pushing anything as far as im concerned. I had a 3G prior and was very dependable.

All the settings are correct. It's just not working.
    Last edited by 305; 06-22-2009 at 06:19 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Andy51081's Avatar
    Thanks

Am i missing something, but doesnt email push already exist???

In settings for email accounts you can set it to fetch, a minimum of every 15 minutes, and it then checks automatically and displays the unread badge on the Mail.app.

I understand that this is not true push but it gets me by.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Andy51081 View Post
    Am i missing something, but doesnt email push already exist???

In settings for email accounts you can set it to fetch, a minimum of every 15 minutes, and it then checks automatically and displays the unread badge on the Mail.app.

I understand that this is not true push but it gets me by.
    that's all good in your case. but you have to take into consideration others that work long hours and rely on their phone to be there throughout their day. checking mail every 15mins isnt really efficient on battery life.

as far as im aware, if youre not on mobileme or an exchange server or on a yahoo accnt at the very least. push isnt an option.

at the moment, my yahoo mails are taking 25mins to reach my box on the iphone. not exactly 'push'. hehe.

was working fine on my 3g 2.2.1
    dont know what the deal is with new firmware/3gs.