+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Any way to make 2.2.1 apps run on 2.2 FW?

is a discussion within the

Apple AppStore App Discussion

forums, a part of the

3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touch

section;
I have my 3G phone running nicely on 2.2 but some of the games I'd like to try (Tiger Woods) only run on 2.2.1. I don't want to update to
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Arrow Any way to make 2.2.1 apps run on 2.2 FW?
    I have my 3G phone running nicely on 2.2 but some of the games I'd like to try (Tiger Woods) only run on 2.2.1.

I don't want to update to 2.2.1, then jailbreak, then unlock, especially now as 3.0 will be out soon, so I was wondering if there's anyway to "trick" the 2.2.1 app into accepting 2.2 FW. Can the ipa be extracted and modified in anyway to do this?

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

This is not possible. The FW Changer program can trick your phone into thinking you have a lower firmware but not a higher one. What's the big deal about restoring and loading all your apps again.. can't take more than an hour or so. Additionally the 3.0 firmware will most likely not be released for another 6 weeks or so.
    Last edited by Poseidon79; 06-05-2009 at 10:38 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks

Not true. You can edit a plist in the app to play on a lower firmware. I've done it on a few apps. Some don't run well, I'm assuming because of missing APIs in the lower firmware.

Use something like 7zip (other zip programs may work too) to unzip the ipa. Look for a folder called 'payload.' Inside that folder is the app folder. Inside the app folder there's an 'info.plist' file. Open it with a plist editor and look for the key: MinimumOSVersion. Just below that is a string. Change the string to your firmware. Save the plist. Zip all the files. Change the zip file extension to ipa and you're done. Resync.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to soulthoughts For This Useful Post:

mark_in_2k (06-05-2009)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thanks Soul! That worked great. Found a Windows plist editor and opened the ipa with Winrar. I didn't even have to extract the file; just made the change to the plist and winrar automatically updated the ipa file.