+ Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Skype Thread

is a discussion within the

Apple AppStore App Discussion

forums, a part of the

3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touch

section;
timeline: Day 1: Skype released: Crashed upon opening and pressing any field. Day 1.5: Jay releases new mobile substrate which locked up voipoverip3g but I could at least log in
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Can I get some skype help re: crashing on start
    timeline:

Day 1: Skype released: Crashed upon opening and pressing any field.
    Day 1.5: Jay releases new mobile substrate which locked up voipoverip3g but I could at least log in
    Day 2: Jay releases new version of mobile substrate but now it is back to what happened initially and it Crashes upon opening and pressing any field.
    Day 3: This morning an upgraded voippverip3g package is ready and so I :

1. uninstalled skype
    2. downloaded new VoiPoverip3g
    3. reinstalled newest mobile substrate
    4. Turned off Clippy in SBS .

Let's see if it works.....

nope. still crashes upon opening and clicking on a field.

Any help out there would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. I posted this in the skype thread as well and tried to delete it but I couldn't. I feel others might be having the same problem and it could use its own thread.

Thanks

I'm having the same problem

1g: 8g-3.2-Jailbroken
    2g: 8g-3.2-Jailbroken
    2g: touch 8g-2.2.1-Unteathered Jailbroken

Livin the iPhone Life billchase2's Avatar
    Thanks

21.5" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3 l 15" MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 l 17" PowerBook 1.67 GHz
    iPhone 4 32 GB l  TV 160 GB l 32 GB iPad

Green Apple
    Thanks

Default success
    after the several updates on Cydia,
    I'm now using Skype and have much success,

Yeow!!!!!!!!!!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Slingbox for iPhone Coming with a Hitch
    I like many have been waiting for the Slingbox app for the iPhone but it was news today that the app will only work with the Slingbox Solo or Slingbox Pro HD. The Slingbox site has a deal of $50.00 off for the purchase of a Slingbox if you own the older version. Sucks for all of us that own the older versions but I figured when Dish Network bought Slingbox only crap like this was sure to come. I guess I won't be getting the app for my iPhone as I sure won't spend the minimum $150.00 on top of the app fee. I hope many others will do the same.

BTY. The app in Beta worked on all the Slingbox versions. I guess there wasn't enough money in just the app. More like it Dish is losing subscribers and profits are falling. Guess they think they found a way to bump up the profits.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

dammit! I am so frustrated. I cannot get this to work no matter what I do. I have tried everything. See above for all of the steps that I took initially.

So I SSH's into my mobile substrate folder and I have the following utilities in there. I am hoping someone sees something that I should uninstall to get my Skype to work. (By the way. How can I turn items off without uninstalling them? Any ideas that can help me getting skype to work would obviously be greatly appreciated
    )

Root/Library/Mobile Substrate/Dynamic Libraries:

Clippy ( Ive toggled off)
    Winterboard
    CyDelete
    Backgrounder
    Five Icon Dock
    Live Clock
    Lockdown
    mail attachment message
    pref loader
    reflective dock
    SB settings
    SMS Hide
    TV Out
    VoiPover3G
    weather icon
    Winterboard.

please hook a brother up.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

try by removing all your mobilesubstrate apps and mobileinstallation patch if you have it installed. start basic and work your way up and see at which point it crashes.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

So far I have uninstalled BackGrounder, mail attach message, CyDelete and Clippy. Lets see.... Well I can log in... lets try and make a call. freezes up when dialing.

maybe it is time to update my OS. i think I'll do 3.0 this weekend.
    Last edited by smotheredhope; 04-03-2009 at 01:20 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

this really upsets me and a lot of other people. they are screwing over the 1st group of people that supported their product. really hope someone comes out with a hack.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

thank God i have a solo

now where is my app?
    Last edited by StealthBravo; 04-05-2009 at 09:36 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

3.0 is the only way to fly

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Default Skype over 3g just stopped working.
    I didn't add any conflicting programs (read sauriks lastest lost). I used it earlier today, and all of a sudden it's telling me I can't use it over 3g because of possible restrctions on my data plan at times, then outright saying you can't use skype over 3g at others. Anyone else experience this?

Thanks

I have all the latest Cydia updates and my Skype works over 3G. What is the exact wording of this error message? Is it the same one you receive if trying to use Skye without having VOIPover3G installed first? Maybe an uninstall/reinstall of the various components will shake something loose.
    Hmm...

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Thanks for the prompt reply. A restart remedied the issue, but I'm still not sure what caused it as nothing changed. Hopefully it won't happen again.

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,003 Times in 565 Posts

Angry Skype's iPhone App May Force FCC Hand on Wireless Net Neutrality
    It's a wireless carrier's worst nightmare: software on devices such as Skype's VOIP app for the iPhone and other innovative mobile video technologies that allow users to bypass the carrier's own services. The FCC must decide if the agency's network neutrality rules apply to the wireless world.

Skype's introduction of its VOIP service for the iPhone may well be the tipping point for wireless network neutrality. While the right of hardwired Internet users to use the applications and services of their choice has been established by the FCC (Federal Communications Commission), network neutrality for wireless networks is still an unresolved issue.

Then came Skype's March 31 announcement that it is offering a free app that adds Skype calling and instant messaging to iPhones and second generation iPod touches with a compatible headset and microphone. More than 1 million Skype apps were downloaded in the first two days after the announcement. The service only works with a Wi-Fi connection as AT&T, the exclusive network carrier for the iPhone, blocks the competing voice service on its 3G cellular network.

Telecom company Deutsche Telekom's T-Mobile, which has exclusive marketing rights to the iPhone in Germany, also announced it would be blocking the app, claiming it would slow the network.

"Wireless broadband networks cannot become a safe haven for discrimination," Chris Riley, policy counsel of Free Press, said in a statement. "The Internet in your pocket should be just as free and open as the Internet in your home. The FCC must make it crystal clear that a closed Internet will not be tolerated on any platform."

Free Press wrote the FCC April 3 complaining wireless carriers are unfairly blocking lawful applications and services. Free Press and Public Knowledge filed the original complaint leading to the FCC's 2008 landmark decision that Comcast was violating the agency's network neutrality provisions when it throttled BitTorrent traffic.

In August 2005, the FCC declared that consumers are entitled to access the lawful Internet content of their choice, run applications and services of their choice and plug in and run legal devices of their choice. The FCC also said consumers have a right to competition among network providers, application and service providers and content providers.

"As more and more consumers begin to access the Internet wirelessly, it is critical that the FCC clarifies that online consumer protections that prohibit blocking are the same regardless of how we access the Web," said Ben Scott, policy director of Free Press.

Wireless carriers remain adamant that their policies are legal. In a USA Today article last week, AT&T said it expects device vendors to block consumers' access to Skype on its 3G network. AT&T is also concerned about other wireless services that may compete with the carrier, tinkering with its wireless terms of service to prohibit "customer initiated redirection of television or other video or audio signals via any technology from a fixed location to a mobile device."

T-Mobile is reportedly restricting the availability of tethering applications -- services that allow consumers to use their cell phones to connect their computers to the Internet -- within Google's Android Marketplace. And most major wireless companies have terms of service that prohibit the use of certain applications and services.

"In some cases, these appear to be outright restrictions on applications, services or devices imposed by the carrier," Free Press said in its letter to the FCC. "In other cases, there appears to be a business relationship between carriers and equipment vendors designed to cripple applications or hinder consumer choice for anti-competitive purposes."

The issue of wireless network neutrality is likely to be a central theme when the FCC begins April 8 to seek comment on the agency's development of a national broadband plan.

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Mobile-and-...rality-527564/

"Always remember your special and unique!"

Thanks

good read

17. The Following User Says Thank You to StealthBravo For This Useful Post:

thetoothfairy (04-06-2009)

Thanks

rebooting your phone daily can save a lot of headaches

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,003 Times in 565 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by StealthBravo View Post
    good read
    Thanks!

"Always remember your special and unique!"

Green Apple
    Thanks
    def makes for interesting future of voice options. would i pay for minutes at all or use skype hmm. but good post

Livin the iPhone Life mr.sparky's Avatar
    Thanks

That is very interesting.