Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Oxford Concise for iPhone.

Thumbs up Oxford Concise for iPhone.
    Have you ever found yourself immersed in a book, only to encounter some tremendous word that suddenly derails your momentum? You want to get it defined, but the dictionary is all the way on the other side of the room, and you donít want to wrest yourself from your cozy nest. However, your iPhone is right beside youÖ

I recently downloaded the Concise Oxford English Dictionary by Prelude Mobile. I have to say that itís one of the most worthwhile applications available. If youíre the kind of user whoís always looking to put the iPhoneís boundless potential to the utmost possible use, (like myself) this is an absolutely essential buy. Without further flattery, allow me to give a brief summary of its capabilities.

To begin with, it includes pronunciation & derivation with every entry, for total comprehension of whatever word you look up. One function I found really nifty is the dynamic search bar. That is to say, it searches as you type. I donít even have to finish typing the word, most of the time. Itís also useful for those words Iím not too sure how to spell, as the search results come up blank, which tells me Iíve erred in my spelling of the word.

One method of use Iíve found for the product is in discussions with friends moreÖliterate than myself. I was once trapped in such a conversation, in which a great deal of philosophical jargon was being used. The person I was talking with turned to greet a friend of his that had just arrived, and in that brief time frame, I managed to whip out my iPhone, open the Oxford, and define the word just in time to nod knowledgably when we resumed the topic.

My next point may seem to go without saying, but this is the complete Concise Oxford English Dictionary. In other words, there are no omissions, revisions, alterations, or changes from the book itself. You already have your iPod, Phone, and camera in your pocket. Wouldnít it be nice to have the Oxford in there, too? And donít try and tell me thereís no room and there, I know there is. I checked.

I strongly recommend this app for students and bookworms, so you can start using your old, decrepit dictionary as a deluxe paperweight.

Hereís the App store link:

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa
    /wa/viewSoftware?id=303878898&mt=8

And hereís the link for it on Prelude Mobile:

Concise Oxford English Dictionary - Prelude Mobile

2. The Following User Says Thank You to TalkingPendleton For This Useful Post:

orangeStarfish (03-23-2009)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Couldn't agree more. Have it. Love it. Use it all the time...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I found this YouTube review of the Prelude Mobile COED:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdruZWAaGJ8]YouTube - Concise Oxford English Dictionary App Review - AppVee.com[/ame]