Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Any UPC scanners?

iPhone? More like MyPhone JP101's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Any UPC scanners?
    Are there any UPC scanners in the iTunes store? Not the 2D barcodes that you rarely see, but rather UPC codes that are on every product known to man. I was playing with the G1 today, and they have one on there that does just that. You don't even need to take a picture, it has a little green bar that "scans" it. It made me wonder, since the G1 came a while AFTER the iPhone that SOMEBODY had to have created it for the iPhone. At least I hope so. It's a pretty cool app. It gives you the name of the product, prices, store locations as well as where they are on a map.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

G1s UPC app rocks! I wish there was something like it for the iphone.

The problem is the camera cannot focus close enough to take a clear picture of a UPC bar code. But, I have the Griffin Clarifi case that has a macro lens built in and I can take great close up shots so I would love to see an UPC scanner app.
    Dirty as I wanna be!

iPhone? More like MyPhone JP101's Avatar
    Thanks

the G1 just scans it. There is no picture taking involved with it.

That would be a cool app to have.

OT - Micro$oft have just introduced a new type of code http://www.microsoft.com/tag/
    A reader is available for the iPhone.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JP101 View Post
    the G1 just scans it. There is no picture taking involved with it.
    Unfortunately, Apple does not allow the software developers to have direct access to the camera on the iPhone, so it can't do what the ShopSavvy app can (scan it without storing a picture). And as DirtyBird1977 stated, the iPhone camera cannot focus close enough to take clear pictures. This makes identifying barcodes much more difficult on the iPhone.

There are two apps that I have come across that "sort of" do what ShopSavvy does on the G1. One is called "Save Benjis" for $0.99 and the other is called "Pongr" which is free.

Pongr allows you to do price comparison shopping for items by the barcode number, and can search by key word and with some categories you can search by using a picture of the object you are looking for (Books, Games, Movies & Music).

Save Benjis allows you to price comparison shopping by keywords or bar code number. They are definately nowhere as good as ShopSavvy. It's like comparing Apples and Oranges, but give them a try. Sorry for the pun.
    Last edited by reddawg; 02-10-2009 at 04:09 AM.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Hopefully this is a feature they add to the new model of the iphone (along with better close-up pictures), among other things of course. It would be a good reason (at least for me) to get a newer model (would be great for shopping for schoolbooks to find a great cheap price)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Thanks

snaptell is free from appstore doesn't take barcode pics. It takes pic of acutal item (books CDs DVDs and games) and gets u pricings
    17" MacBook Pro
    G5
    iPhone 3GS 16G 3.1 Jailbroken//AT&T
    follow me on twitter-@danvicente

Thanks

snaptell rocks!

Quote Originally Posted by StealthBravo View Post
    snaptell rocks!
    It looks like it might do - if you're in the USA.
    Another one that's not a lot of use to those of us outside the US.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Thanks

i wasnt aware that snaptell was US only.. I know when it searches online u itll search sites like amazon for a cheaper price, so who knows it could work but with limited features
    17" MacBook Pro
    G5
    iPhone 3GS 16G 3.1 Jailbroken//AT&T
    follow me on twitter-@danvicente

Quote Originally Posted by danvicente View Post
    i wasnt aware that snaptell was US only.. I know when it searches online u itll search sites like amazon for a cheaper price, so who knows it could work but with limited features
    It works outside the UK but doesn't seem to recognise a lot of things that you might not have over there and takes you to US online stores for prices in USD.

Not totally useless but not localised so much more use if you are in the UK

Take a look at ZebraScan.

On the iPhone 3GS or any iPhone with DVD-Player Macrolense ;-) it will scan the barcode and return product and price information.

On any other iPhone or iPod Touch you can comfortably enter UPC, EAN or ISBN.

iPhone? More like MyPhone ltjbigshot's Avatar
    Thanks

RedLaser does exactly what you want. It also does not require to take a pic. It just scans the bar-code. Its 1.99 in the app store or free in cydia! its legit posted by the author in cydia!
    Sent from my iPad

Redlaser is awesome

Quote Originally Posted by ddonuts4 View Post
    Redlaser is awesome
    I thought everyone knew that!

Thanks

they don't?

iPhone? More like MyPhone ltjbigshot's Avatar
    Thanks

Yeah i was kind of confused when this post was made and no one had mentioned it yet. MMI actually made an news post about it.. I though everyone knew it was out there... haha
    Sent from my iPad

Lol same here

Redlaser is great - but Save Benjis+ is HALF PRICE today and it scans barcodes too AND (unlike Redlaser) will price compare from the NAME of the item as well... Happy Thanksgiving!