Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: beejive im (+backgrounder)?

Default beejive im (+backgrounder)?
    ok so quite hesitant to get beejive im because of the price and the fact that i will probably never use file transfer except for an occasional picture
    ive also read that it completely closes when u close the application and doesnt update but notifies you through push email (which i dont have)

plenty of reasons not to get it
    but i was curios to know if backgrounder would allow beejive to run in the background and stay open even when the screen is off, and make a sound/have a unread messages icon on the beejive icon

because (even with the $18.99 aus price) the only thing stopping me from getting it is the fact that it doesnt stay open

could someone with it, give it a go and post results. or state the obvious if u know it wont work like that
    cheers!

Livin the iPhone Life Bernie-Mac's Avatar
    Thanks

Im not sure about australias carriers, but with AT&T you can set the email Beejive pushes to as your 10 digit number at att.net or something and youll get texts alerting you of new im's received while the app is closed (practically push if you have unlimited texts), you could check to see if your carrier does that, they probably do
    iLive an iLife

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bernie-Mac For This Useful Post:

Trooper (01-13-2009)

but i was curios to know if backgrounder would allow beejive to run in the background and stay open even when the screen is off, and make a sound/have a unread messages icon on the beejive icon
    Yes backgrounder will allow beejive to run in the background and if you have the sound on it will make a noise when you receive an IM. Also, there will be a badge attached to the icon that indicates how many unread messages you have. If the screen is off, the phone will eventually go into sleep mode so it wouldn't backgrounded then. You can get insomnia to prevent it from going to sleep, but the problem with backgrounder and insomnia is that they both crash occasionally. I don't bother with backgrounder on beejive, I just get email notifications when its not actually open, but I am still logged on 24 hours a day. I set it so I have an away message up 5 minutes after closing the app.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jsharpe For This Useful Post:

Trooper (01-13-2009)

thanks guys, just bought it

unfortunatly, dont have unlimited texts, so im assuming it costs the normal 15 cents for them to text you everytime i get an im(which might become expensive lol) and dont really want email inbox spammed up that bad
    so will give just have to backgrounder a go
    Last edited by Trooper; 01-13-2009 at 07:06 PM.

Yeah, until Apple releases push, Beejive and tons of other apps will only work when opened.

THAT SAID, go to your Settings app and check the Beejive options there. You probably want to change the stay online setting to something higher. Beejive can keep you online for up to 24 hours so even if the app is closed you will be receiving messages, just need to re-open the app to get them.

I'm a helpful jerk, fear me.

iPhone? More like MyPhone kjack05's Avatar
    Thanks

It would be awesome if someone made a special code for beejive to where you can set it to automatically always background when closed.
    If I helped you dont be afraid to click thanks

You can do that, actually.

You can set Backgrounder to run automatically when certain programs run.

For instance, Beejive to always use Backgrounder when closing it.

I forgot how, it has to do with editing a plist file in the Backgrounder folder.

I believe there's more info on their googlecode site.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Devante For This Useful Post:

kjack05 (01-14-2009)

iPhone? More like MyPhone kjack05's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Devante View Post
    You can do that, actually.

You can set Backgrounder to run automatically when certain programs run.

For instance, Beejive to always use Backgrounder when closing it.

I forgot how, it has to do with editing a plist file in the Backgrounder folder.

I believe there's more info on their googlecode site.

Just got this going on my phone, makes beejive so much better now. Thanks

With how the badges pop up and it still sounds, It makes me feel like beejive designed it to puposely do that in hopes of apple allowing it to eventually be able to run in the background
    If I helped you dont be afraid to click thanks

Yup, you're correct with that. I think since 2.1 developers have had access to Push notification tools on their app so they could have "push ready" apps when the service rolled out.

Then Apple forgot about it

I'm a helpful jerk, fear me.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,086 Times in 224 Posts

be careful guys... this can effect your battery life greatly

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

works for me