Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [REVIEW] CarTrack- measure your car's performance

Thanks

Default [REVIEW] CarTrack- measure your car's performance
    CarTrack developed by Richard Shearman, is an app that will collect performance data of your vehicle, similar to Dynolicious and TrackDay which are also for sale on the iTunes AppStore. This app was originally released last fall, however there is an upgrade that was released last month. With all three apps, you input information about your vehicle, make and model, more importantly, weight, (kg), drivetrain loss (%), drag coefficient, frontal area (m2) Data can be collected for several different vehicles . You must set the car you are collecting data for as the active vehicle. As far as this, the three apps all are quite similar. . CarTrack currently sells for $3.99 while Dynolicious and TrackDay are priced at $12.99 and $11.99 respectively. Sight unseen, CarTrack is a great buy for the budget-conscious. Also, its developer offers excellent customer service, and is very available and willing to assist with any technical issues users may encounter.

<link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CZ%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1 %5C07%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:"Arial Unicode MS"; panose-1:2 11 6 4 2 2 2 2 2 4; mso-font-charset:128; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-1 -369098753 63 0 4129279 0;} @font-face {font-family:Calibri; panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-1610611985 1073750139 0 0 159 0;} @font-face {font-family:"\@Arial Unicode MS"; panose-1:2 11 6 4 2 2 2 2 2 4; mso-font-charset:128; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-1 -369098753 63 0 4129279 0;} @font-face {font-family:""; mso-font-alt:"Times New Roman"; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:auto; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:0 0 0 0 0 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin-top:0in; margin-right:0in; margin-bottom:10.0pt; margin-left:0in; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; mso-hyphenate:none; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-font-family:"Arial Unicode MS"; mso-bidi-font-family:""; mso-font-kerning:.5pt; mso-fareast-language:AR-SA;} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> First, one needs to set up the vehicle being tested and set it as the “active vehicle”.

-img_0021.png -img_0022.png
    -img_0001-2.png -img_0001.png
    <link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CZ%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1 %5C05%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><link rel="Edit-Time-Data" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CZ%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1 %5C05%5Cclip_editdata.mso"><!--[if !mso]> <style> v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} .shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);} </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:"Arial Unicode MS"; panose-1:2 11 6 4 2 2 2 2 2 4; mso-font-charset:128; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-1 -369098753 63 0 4129279 0;} @font-face {font-family:Calibri; panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-1610611985 1073750139 0 0 159 0;} @font-face {font-family:"\@Arial Unicode MS"; panose-1:2 11 6 4 2 2 2 2 2 4; mso-font-charset:128; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-1 -369098753 63 0 4129279 0;} @font-face {font-family:""; mso-font-alt:"Times New Roman"; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:auto; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:0 0 0 0 0 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin-top:0in; margin-right:0in; margin-bottom:10.0pt; margin-left:0in; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; mso-hyphenate:none; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-font-family:"Arial Unicode MS"; mso-bidi-font-family:""; mso-font-kerning:.5pt; mso-fareast-language:AR-SA;} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> After entering vehicle info you will need to calibrate the device, which is a simple process through the settings tab. This must be done before the first use of the app. Also in settings, one can set criteria for the auto start and stop timers, alerts and skin colors for the app. As of the time of testing, although English measurements were selectable, the vehicle weight and measurements needed to be entered in metric. The auto-start feature is very nice in that one can set the program and it will not start data collection until the vehicle begins to move, the timer set can adjust the amount of g force the car needs to pull before the timer begins. The Auto- stop timer setting is what determines what data is collected. Do you want a timed run, ¼ mile, 0-60, 0-60-0, 0-100, or 0-100-0, all in km/hr, so if you are in the US, don’t freak out when you see some oddly high speed values. Once the vehicle has reached the all of benchmarks set, the timer will stop and you may then save the data. One can also run the app in manual mode by pressing begin and end manually.

The first and most important thing you must do before you run the app, is to do the in-car calibration. Mount the iPhone securely, this is imperative. Any extraneous motion will corrupt the readings, more on that later. The in-car calibration requires two steps, the first is done while the car is motionless, the second, asks the driver to accelerate on a flat road for 3 seconds. I found that it is very important to do this correctly. I also found it worked better if I re-calibrated every time I used the app. Perhaps that was because I was switching between several cars. Once calibrated, you may collect performance data.
    The main recording screen is a simple speedometer and start/stop button. As the car is in motion, the speedometer will register your current speed. which I found to be quite accurate

-img_0003-1.png
    <!--[if gte vml 1]><v:shapetype id="_x0000_t75" coordsize="21600,21600" o:spt="75" oreferrelative="t" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" filled="f" stroked="f"> <v:stroke joinstyle="miter"/> <v:formulas> <v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"/> <v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"/> <v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"/> <v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"/> <v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"/> <v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"/> <v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"/> <v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"/> <v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"/> <v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"/> <v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"/> <v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"/> </v:formulas> <vath o:extrusionok="f" gradientshapeok="t" o:connecttype="rect"/> <o:lock v:ext="edit" aspectratio="t"/> </v:shapetype><v:shape id="_x0000_i1025" type="#_x0000_t75" style='width:207.75pt; height:311.25pt'> <v:imagedata src="file:///CDOCUME~1\Z\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\05\clip_image001 .png" o:title="IMG_0003 1"/> </v:shape><![endif]--><!--[if !vml]--><!--[endif]--><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CZ%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1 %5C04%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:"Arial Unicode MS"; panose-1:2 11 6 4 2 2 2 2 2 4; mso-font-charset:128; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-1 -369098753 63 0 4129279 0;} @font-face {font-family:Calibri; panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-1610611985 1073750139 0 0 159 0;} @font-face {font-family:"\@Arial Unicode MS"; panose-1:2 11 6 4 2 2 2 2 2 4; mso-font-charset:128; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-1 -369098753 63 0 4129279 0;} @font-face {font-family:""; mso-font-alt:"Times New Roman"; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:auto; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:0 0 0 0 0 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin-top:0in; margin-right:0in; margin-bottom:10.0pt; margin-left:0in; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; mso-hyphenate:none; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-font-family:"Arial Unicode MS"; mso-bidi-font-family:""; mso-font-kerning:.5pt; mso-fareast-language:AR-SA;} a:link, span.MsoHyperlink {color:blue; text-decoration:underline; text-underline:single;} a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed {colorurple; text-decoration:underline; text-underline:single;} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->
    When this app works, it works quite well, however there are a great many factors that affect its accuracy, most of which entail following the instructions completely. I reiterate the importance of mounting in such a way that there is no movement of the iPhone and that it not at an angle to the front of the car. There are detailed instructions on proper mounting and calibration available on the developer’s website at CarTrack - Home These must be followed or you will not get accurate readings. A completely motionless iphone during both calibration and data recording is essential to accuracy, as the accelerometer is very sensitive. It is recommended that the initial device calibration is done while holding the iPhone against a flat surface, and that a windscreen mount is best. My testing showed that the car must be completely stopped when starting the app, even in manual mode. It will not save the data if you begin when the car is moving. Also, if there is movement of the iPhone, as in if it is not mounted securely, you will get spikes and inaccuracies of g force and HP readings. Once I registered 1768131.62 HP and a top speed of 3073.55 MPH, not exactly accurate. However, if mounted correctly, figures can be in the ballpark. Softer accelerations yield lower HP figures, so unless you are running up through each gear, close to redline; your numbers will be lower than expected.

I tested this app in 4 different cars both on street and on track. I had the biggest issues with not being able to mount the iPhone properly. Probably some kind of suction cup mount similar to that used by some portable GPS or satellite radio units would work well. For various reasons I was unable to do this in any of my cars.

I had the opportunity to test CarTrack in my race prepared BMW M3 at Thunderbolt Raceway at NJ Motorsports Park at an Audi Club high performance driving school. However, my excitement waned as I quickly discovered that due to the way the run groups stage before going out on-track, there is too much starting and stopping of the vehicle before even getting out on track. The app stopped before I even got on track. Once driving at speed it was not feasible to play with the manual start /stop control. I was unable to mount the iPhone on the dash or windshield due to track regulations and did not have a place to make a temporary mount on the stripped down instrument panel. This said, I took my iPhone for a ride as a passenger in another instructor’s car. This too did not work out very well again because of the start/ stopping. This is where I discovered that data was either invalid or not saved if the app was started once the car was in motion. My primary conclusion is that this app would be best utilized at a drag strip where you get to the start position set the app and go. Unfortunately, I do not have access to a drag strip.

So I attempted to test on the street. I performed runs in 3 different cars, a 1999 Audi A4 Quattro with tiptronic transmission, a BMW 1988 M5 (5 spd) and a 2001 BMW 740i (steptronic). However, I experienced similar issues with less than optimal conditions for running the program because of traffic, road conditions, less than optimal mounting and inability to perform good hard accelerations, resulting in inconsistent and low HP readings. I was able to get some fairly accurate data in the BMW 740i on the street though. (NOTE: the speedometer screenshot was taken on a different run in the M5)

-img_0023.png -img_0006.png

<link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CZ%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1 %5C08%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:"Arial Unicode MS"; panose-1:2 11 6 4 2 2 2 2 2 4; mso-font-charset:128; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-1 -369098753 63 0 4129279 0;} @font-face {font-family:Calibri; panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-1610611985 1073750139 0 0 159 0;} @font-face {font-family:"\@Arial Unicode MS"; panose-1:2 11 6 4 2 2 2 2 2 4; mso-font-charset:128; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-1 -369098753 63 0 4129279 0;} @font-face {font-family:""; mso-font-alt:"Times New Roman"; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:auto; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:0 0 0 0 0 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin-top:0in; margin-right:0in; margin-bottom:10.0pt; margin-left:0in; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; mso-hyphenate:none; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-font-family:"Arial Unicode MS"; mso-bidi-font-family:""; mso-font-kerning:.5pt; mso-fareast-language:AR-SA;} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->Because the run was done in normal driving conditions, the acceleration rate and HP are much lower than advertised for this vehicle. HP as advertised is 282 and 0-60 time is advertised as 6.8 sec. After the app records data you will have the option to “save”. When you open up the saved run data you will see a graph showing speed/time. You can then press the little graph icon and scroll through gforce graph, horsepower/time, acceleration/time, and distance/time. From the graph screen, you may select “Details” and get a list view of the data collected.

-img_0024.png -img_0025.png

-img_0026.png -img_0027.png

-img_0028.png

-img_0018.png -img_0019.png

-img_0020.png

<link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CZ%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1 %5C09%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:"Arial Unicode MS"; panose-1:2 11 6 4 2 2 2 2 2 4; mso-font-charset:128; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-1 -369098753 63 0 4129279 0;} @font-face {font-family:Calibri; panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-1610611985 1073750139 0 0 159 0;} @font-face {font-family:"\@Arial Unicode MS"; panose-1:2 11 6 4 2 2 2 2 2 4; mso-font-charset:128; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-1 -369098753 63 0 4129279 0;} @font-face {font-family:""; mso-font-alt:"Times New Roman"; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:auto; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:0 0 0 0 0 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin-top:0in; margin-right:0in; margin-bottom:10.0pt; margin-left:0in; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; mso-hyphenate:none; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-font-family:"Arial Unicode MS"; mso-bidi-font-family:""; mso-font-kerning:.5pt; mso-fareast-language:AR-SA;} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> At the same time as testing CarTrack, I also tested TrackDay and Dynolicious. All three apps have many similar features and a few differences.

Summary of features:
    <link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CZ%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1 %5C10%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:"Arial Unicode MS"; panose-1:2 11 6 4 2 2 2 2 2 4; mso-font-charset:128; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-1 -369098753 63 0 4129279 0;} @font-face {font-family:Calibri; panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-1610611985 1073750139 0 0 159 0;} @font-face {font-family:"\@Arial Unicode MS"; panose-1:2 11 6 4 2 2 2 2 2 4; mso-font-charset:128; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-1 -369098753 63 0 4129279 0;} @font-face {font-family:""; mso-font-alt:"Times New Roman"; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:auto; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:0 0 0 0 0 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin-top:0in; margin-right:0in; margin-bottom:10.0pt; margin-left:0in; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; mso-hyphenate:none; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-font-family:"Arial Unicode MS"; mso-bidi-font-family:""; mso-font-kerning:.5pt; mso-fareast-language:AR-SA;} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->
    <table class="MsoNormalTable" style="border-collapse: collapse;" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr style=""> <td style="border-style: solid none solid solid; border-color: black -moz-use-text-color black black; border-width: 1pt medium 1pt 1pt; padding: 0in 5.4pt; width: 95.8pt;" width="128">
    <o>> </o>>
    </td> <td style="border-style: solid none solid solid; border-color: black -moz-use-text-color black black; border-width: 1pt medium 1pt 1pt; padding: 0in 5.4pt; width: 95.8pt;" valign="top" width="128">
    CarTrack<o>></o>>
    </td> <td style="border-style: solid none solid solid; border-color: black -moz-use-text-color black black; border-width: 1pt medium 1pt 1pt; padding: 0in 5.4pt; width: 95.8pt;" valign="top" width="128">
    TrackDay<o>></o>>
    </td> <td style="border: 1pt solid black; padding: 0in 5.4pt; width: 96.35pt;" valign="top" width="128">
    Dynolicious<o>></o>>
    </td> </tr> <tr style=""> <td style="border-style: none none solid solid; border-color: -moz-use-text-color -moz-use-text-color black black; border-width: medium medium 1pt 1pt; padding: 0in 5.4pt; width: 95.8pt;" valign="top" width="128"> Multiple vehicles<o>></o>>
    </td> <td style="border-style: none none solid solid; border-color: -moz-use-text-color -moz-use-text-color black black; border-width: medium medium 1pt 1pt; padding: 0in 5.4pt; width: 95.8pt;" valign="top" width="128"> Yes<o>></o>>
    </td> <td style="border-style: none none solid solid; border-color: -moz-use-text-color -moz-use-text-color black black; border-width: medium medium 1pt 1pt; padding: 0in 5.4pt; width: 95.8pt;" valign="top" width="128"> Yes<o>></o>>
    </td> <td style="border-style: none solid solid; border-color: -moz-use-text-color black black; border-width: medium 1pt 1pt; padding: 0in 5.4pt; width: 96.35pt;" valign="top" width="128"> Yes<o>></o>>
    </td> </tr> <tr style=""> <td style="border-style: none none solid solid; border-color: -moz-use-text-color -moz-use-text-color black black; border-width: medium medium 1pt 1pt; padding: 0in 5.4pt; width: 95.8pt;" valign="top" width="128"> Auto-start timer <o>></o>>
    </td> <td style="border-style: none none solid solid; border-color: -moz-use-text-color -moz-use-text-color black black; border-width: medium medium 1pt 1pt; padding: 0in 5.4pt; width: 95.8pt;" valign="top" width="128"> 0.05g -0.30g<o>></o>>
    </td> <td style="border-style: none none solid solid; border-color: -moz-use-text-color -moz-use-text-color black black; border-width: medium medium 1pt 1pt; padding: 0in 5.4pt; width: 95.8pt;" valign="top" width="128"> 0.06g - 0.20g<o>></o>>
    </td> <td style="border-style: none solid solid; border-color: -moz-use-text-color black black; border-width: medium 1pt 1pt; padding: 0in 5.4pt; width: 96.35pt;" valign="top" width="128"> 0.06g – 0.20g<o>></o>>
    </td> </tr> <tr style=""> <td style="border-style: none none solid solid; border-color: -moz-use-text-color -moz-use-text-color black black; border-width: medium medium 1pt 1pt; padding: 0in 5.4pt; width: 95.8pt;" valign="top" width="128"> Auto stop timer<o>></o>>
    </td> <td style="border-style: none none solid solid; border-color: -moz-use-text-color -moz-use-text-color black black; border-width: medium medium 1pt 1pt; padding: 0in 5.4pt; width: 95.8pt;" valign="top" width="128"> off, 5 sec. 10 sec, ¼ mile, 0-30, 0-30-0, 0-60-0,0-100, 0-100-0<o>></o>>
    <o>> </o>>
    </td> <td style="border-style: none none solid solid; border-color: -moz-use-text-color -moz-use-text-color black black; border-width: medium medium 1pt 1pt; padding: 0in 5.4pt; width: 95.8pt;" valign="top" width="128"> 60 ft, 1/8 mile. 1000 ft, ¼ mile, 40, 60 ,100, 150mph OR METRIC 100m, 200m, 400m, 1000m, 60km/h.,100, 150, 200. (OFF/ON REQD)<o>></o>>
    </td> <td style="border-style: none solid solid; border-color: -moz-use-text-color black black; border-width: medium 1pt 1pt; padding: 0in 5.4pt; width: 96.35pt;" valign="top" width="128"> 60’, 330’,1/8 mi,1000’<o>></o>>
    </td> </tr> <tr style=""> <td style="border-style: none none solid solid; border-color: -moz-use-text-color -moz-use-text-color black black; border-width: medium medium 1pt 1pt; padding: 0in 5.4pt; width: 95.8pt;" valign="top" width="128"> Run Data<o>></o>>
    </td> <td style="border-style: none none solid solid; border-color: -moz-use-text-color -moz-use-text-color black black; border-width: medium medium 1pt 1pt; padding: 0in 5.4pt; width: 95.8pt;" valign="top" width="128"> Type, time. Distance travelled, max speed, max horsepower. Forward, side total G,<o>></o>>
    0-10,20,30,40,…. Elapsed time<o>></o>>
    Split times 10-20, 20-30….<o>></o>>
    </td> <td style="border-style: none none solid solid; border-color: -moz-use-text-color -moz-use-text-color black black; border-width: medium medium 1pt 1pt; padding: 0in 5.4pt; width: 95.8pt;" valign="top" width="128"> 0-10, 0-20..0-50 mph<o>></o>>
    Elapsed time@ mph60’, 330’,1/8 mi,1000’, max speed, max acceleration (g), peak hp<o>></o>>
    <o>> </o>>
    </td> <td style="border-style: none solid solid; border-color: -moz-use-text-color black black; border-width: medium 1pt 1pt; padding: 0in 5.4pt; width: 96.35pt;" valign="top" width="128"> 0-40 (or whatever criteria set)<o>></o>>
    Elapsed time (per test settings) at mph<o>></o>>
    Peak and average power.<o>></o>>
    <o>> </o>>
    </td> </tr> <tr style=""> <td style="border-style: none none solid solid; border-color: -moz-use-text-color -moz-use-text-color black black; border-width: medium medium 1pt 1pt; padding: 0in 5.4pt; width: 95.8pt;" valign="top" width="128"> Graphs<o>></o>>
    </td> <td style="border-style: none none solid solid; border-color: -moz-use-text-color -moz-use-text-color black black; border-width: medium medium 1pt 1pt; padding: 0in 5.4pt; width: 95.8pt;" valign="top" width="128"> speed/time, gforce skidpad, horsepower over time, acceleration/time<o>></o>>
    </td> <td style="border-style: none none solid solid; border-color: -moz-use-text-color -moz-use-text-color black black; border-width: medium medium 1pt 1pt; padding: 0in 5.4pt; width: 95.8pt;" valign="top" width="128"> distance/power speed<o>></o>>
    </td> <td style="border-style: none solid solid; border-color: -moz-use-text-color black black; border-width: medium 1pt 1pt; padding: 0in 5.4pt; width: 96.35pt;" valign="top" width="128"> <o>> </o>>
    </td> </tr> <tr style=""> <td style="border-style: none none solid solid; border-color: -moz-use-text-color -moz-use-text-color black black; border-width: medium medium 1pt 1pt; padding: 0in 5.4pt; width: 95.8pt;" valign="top" width="128"> Skidpad data<o></o>>
    </td> <td style="border-style: none none solid solid; border-color: -moz-use-text-color -moz-use-text-color black black; border-width: medium medium 1pt 1pt; padding: 0in 5.4pt; width: 95.8pt;" valign="top" width="128"> Displays on circle graph<o>></o>>
    <o>> </o>>
    </td> <td style="border-style: none none solid solid; border-color: -moz-use-text-color -moz-use-text-color black black; border-width: medium medium 1pt 1pt; padding: 0in 5.4pt; width: 95.8pt;" valign="top" width="128"> cornering g on graph<o>></o>>
    <o>> </o>>
    </td> <td style="border-style: none solid solid; border-color: -moz-use-text-color black black; border-width: medium 1pt 1pt; padding: 0in 5.4pt; width: 96.35pt;" valign="top" width="128"> circle graph and on line graph- turning braking acceleration<o>></o>>
    </td> </tr> <tr style=""> <td style="border-style: none none solid solid; border-color: -moz-use-text-color -moz-use-text-color black black; border-width: medium medium 1pt 1pt; padding: 0in 5.4pt; width: 95.8pt;" valign="top" width="128"> Lap Timer<o>></o>>
    </td> <td style="border-style: none none solid solid; border-color: -moz-use-text-color -moz-use-text-color black black; border-width: medium medium 1pt 1pt; padding: 0in 5.4pt; width: 95.8pt;" valign="top" width="128"> No<o>></o>>
    </td> <td style="border-style: none solid solid; border-color: -moz-use-text-color black black; border-width: medium 1pt 1pt; padding: 0in 5.4pt; width: 96.35pt;" valign="top" width="128"> No<o>></o>>
    </td> </tr> </tbody></table>

<link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CZ%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1 %5C11%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:"Arial Unicode MS"; panose-1:2 11 6 4 2 2 2 2 2 4; mso-font-charset:128; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-1 -369098753 63 0 4129279 0;} @font-face {font-family:Calibri; panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-1610611985 1073750139 0 0 159 0;} @font-face {font-family:"\@Arial Unicode MS"; panose-1:2 11 6 4 2 2 2 2 2 4; mso-font-charset:128; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-1 -369098753 63 0 4129279 0;} @font-face {font-family:""; mso-font-alt:"Times New Roman"; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:auto; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:0 0 0 0 0 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin-top:0in; margin-right:0in; margin-bottom:10.0pt; margin-left:0in; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; mso-hyphenate:none; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-font-family:"Arial Unicode MS"; mso-bidi-font-family:""; mso-font-kerning:.5pt; mso-fareast-language:AR-SA;} a:link, span.MsoHyperlink {color:blue; text-decoration:underline; text-underline:single;} a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed {colorurple; text-decoration:underline; text-underline:single;} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Essentially, all three apps require similar vehicle setup and device calibration and will provide similar data, with the exception of TrackDay which also has a very useful and accurate lap timer. I tested using a 3G iPhone with GPS so I don’t know if the lap timer would work as well on a 1<sup>st</sup> generation iPhone since it utilizes the GPS technology. CarTrack provides a wider selection of graphs. Dynolicious has a flashier look and can track data before and after modifications to the vehicle. All three apps have the capacity to register accurate data IF mounted securely and calibrated appropriately. Again, there are detailed instructions on the developer’s website at CarTrack - Home .

All in all, CarTrack is a very viable and lower cost alternative to Dynolicious and TrackDay, and is worth looking at.

<link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CZ%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1 %5C03%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:"Arial Unicode MS"; panose-1:2 11 6 4 2 2 2 2 2 4; mso-font-charset:128; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-1 -369098753 63 0 4129279 0;} @font-face {font-family:Calibri; panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-1610611985 1073750139 0 0 159 0;} @font-face {font-family:"\@Arial Unicode MS"; panose-1:2 11 6 4 2 2 2 2 2 4; mso-font-charset:128; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-1 -369098753 63 0 4129279 0;} @font-face {font-family:""; mso-font-alt:"Times New Roman"; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:auto; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:0 0 0 0 0 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin-top:0in; margin-right:0in; margin-bottom:10.0pt; margin-left:0in; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; mso-hyphenate:none; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-font-family:"Arial Unicode MS"; mso-bidi-font-family:""; mso-font-kerning:.5pt; mso-fareast-language:AR-SA;} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->

If I've helped you, you can help me by clicking on that Thanks button.
    iPhone, the Swiss Army knife of the 21st Century.

Thanks for the review!

Thank you for taking the time to review CarTrack, and in such detail too.

I'm the developer of CarTrack and work with a small team of people on the application.

In addition to the review I would like to mention that the application is available in the following languages: English, Spanish, German, French, Dutch, Danish and shortly Portuguese.

We personally reply to every email received ([email protected]) so please email if you have any questions.

As mentioned in the review, secure mounting of the device is critical to accurate readings.

Regards,
    Richard.