Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Looking for Beta Testers for WiFi Auto Connection App

Default Looking for Beta Testers for WiFi Auto Connection App
    Hello modmyi users,

I'm looking for beta testers for an app named AutoWifi I will be submitting soon to the app store. Heres a blurb on the app:

"AutoWiFi is an app that automatically connects your iPhone or iPod Touch to your favorite web-authenticated hotspots by saving your username and password and sending it to the hotspot provider when needed. No more remembering retyping your username and password everytime: just launch AutoWiFi and you're connected.

By using a learning system AutoWiFi works with most web authenticated hotspots out of the box so you don't have to send us information on the hotspot for us to add it to a database. Simply launch AutoWiFi and log in once by following the "add network" instructions. AutoWiFi learns what to do to connect and will automatically connect you in future without you having to reenter your data: quick, clean and easy."

Screenshot:

Requirements for becoming a beta tester:
    • An iPhone or an iPod Touch (any versions) with OS 2.0 or above
    • Access to a WiFi hotspot which uses web authentication (thats those hotspots that don't require a password to join, but when you try to surf to a web page a different web page shows up where you have to enter your username and password)
    • An account at the hotspot where your log in data (e.g. username/password or phone number) is always the same

If you're interested please send me an email with the subject "AutoWiFi Beta" to with the following information:

If you are picked I will get back to you via email (theres only a limited amount of beta spots apple allows). As a perk you get to keep the app after the beta is over. If there are any questions you can post them here and I'll try and answer them.

i would gladly test this but i have no use for it, im really sorry
    The beatings will continue until morale improves.

Yep cricketlang, this app isn't for everyone but thanks for your interest.

We have sent out the first round of beta invites and still have a few spots open. If anyone is interested and hasn't applied yet we will accept applications until 22.11.2008. Thank you to all who have applied so far.

Thanks

Will this work on a school's wireless network as opposed to a commercialized wifi hotspot?

I'm tired of having to type in my stuff everytime at school.

However, I'm also sure that there's an app just like this for $1.99 already on the App-Store. I believe it's called Devicescape.
    Respect your elders.

i must say this would have been VERY handy when i was in school and i had to CONSTANTLY type in my crap. hoping to see this one soar.

Quote Originally Posted by ALL DAY View Post
    Will this work on a school's wireless network as opposed to a commercialized wifi hotspot?

I'm tired of having to type in my stuff everytime at school.

However, I'm also sure that there's an app just like this for $1.99 already on the App-Store. I believe it's called Devicescape.
    AutoWiFi makes no difference between commercial and school wireless networks. Personally I use it for my university network as well as a commercial free network here.

And yes, there is a similar product in the appstore (in fact a few), but the major difference is that all these apps have their hotspot profiles in a database and if your hotspot isnt in their database you have to submit a request to add it first. AutoWiFi uses an experimental learning system which in fact watches you connect once and then learns what you did, effectively supporting all such browser authenticated hotspots instead of only those in a database.

Now the beta is being used to test this theory .

Quote Originally Posted by Hactarius View Post
    AutoWiFi makes no difference between commercial and school wireless networks. Personally I use it for my university network as well as a commercial free network here.

And yes, there is a similar product in the appstore (in fact a few), but the major difference is that all these apps have their hotspot profiles in a database and if your hotspot isnt in their database you have to submit a request to add it first. AutoWiFi uses an experimental learning system which in fact watches you connect once and then learns what you did, effectively supporting all such browser authenticated hotspots instead of only those in a database.

thats way cool dude. very impressive approach. and yes the beta would need to test that out. i wish i was still in school.

Quote Originally Posted by helitx View Post
    sign me up!
    Follow the instructions in the first post to sign up for the beta.

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

I am a little confused. My phone automatically connects to wifi networks that I have visited. I have one at home, one on the boat, and one in the office...they connect without me having to type anything in after the first connection.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChaos View Post
    I am a little confused. My phone automatically connects to wifi networks that I have visited. I have one at home, one on the boat, and one in the office...they connect without me having to type anything in after the first connection.
    Yes, most private WiFi networks work like that, and if all your WiFi conections work like that then AutoWiFi is not for you.

There are however many WiFi networks (at hotels, airports, schools, universities, restaurants, coffee shops, etc) that work differently. They allow you to join the WiFi network via your iPhone/Touch without entering any password, but when you try to actually use the connection and surf to somewhere you are instead redirected to a web page where you have to enter your username and password first to enable the connection. AutoWiFi can save your authentication data for such hotspots, saving you the hassle of retyping your name and password every time you wish to use the hotspot.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Hactarius For This Useful Post:

CaptainChaos (11-19-2008)

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Yes, most private WiFi networks work like that, and if all your WiFi conections work like that then AutoWiFi is not for you.

There are however many WiFi networks (at hotels, airports, schools, universities, restaurants, coffee shops, etc) that work differently. They allow you to join the WiFi network via your iPhone/Touch without entering any password, but when you try to actually use the connection and surf to somewhere you are instead redirected to a web page where you have to enter your username and password first to enable the connection. AutoWiFi can save your authentication data for such hotspots, saving you the hassle of retyping your name and password every time you wish to use the hotspot.
    Thank you very much for the clarification. I can see where this app will come in very handy. I hope it works out well for you.

Thanks

I figured that, just thought I'd make sure. So it effectively stores my password and what not for auto-login? Is there a way to delete this remembrance when necessary? My school password is sensitive information...

Otherwise, you sir are the sex. I will be sending you an email shortly.
    Respect your elders.

I figured that, just thought I'd make sure. So it effectively stores my password and what not for auto-login? Is there a way to delete this remembrance when necessary? My school password is sensitive information...

Otherwise, you sir are the sex. I will be sending you an email shortly.
    Yes, it stores your username, password and what not in a settings file on your iPhone/Touch (and seeing a next question coming: the data is stored and can be accessed on the iPhone and its backup files only, nowhere else). The program includes a part where you can see all information stored in the settings file where you can change or delete it. It also gets deleted if you delete the app.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Hactarius For This Useful Post:

ALL DAY (11-19-2008)

Thanks

Great man. Thanks a lot for the answers and all your work.

Also, when this hits the App-Store will it be free or cost money?

Regardless, I think you've got me sold. Email will be sent shortly.

Also, is this functional/stable as of now? I don't need any beta stuff that's going to cause me to restore. Thanks!
    Last edited by ALL DAY; 11-19-2008 at 02:02 PM.
    Respect your elders.

Interface is really clean. I like it a lot. 2 questions though:

Requirements for becoming a beta tester:
    • An iPhone or an iPod Touch (any versions) with OS 2.0 or above
    • Access to a WiFi hotspot which uses web authentication (thats those hotspots that don't require a password to join, but when you try to surf to a web page a different web page shows up where you have to enter your username and password)
    • An account at the hotspot where your log in data (e.g. username/password or phone number) is always the same
    At my university, a password is required to join the wireless network, and there is web authentication once you try to surf. Must the network not require a password to join or were you just trying to clarify what web authentication is?

After entering my username, password, and pressing continue, I am directed to a page where I have to hit an "agree" button before gaining web access. Hence, when AutoWiFi is attempting to learn this network, it fails to gain web access after I enter my login information. Is this a current limitation of the program?

I guess.. one more question... Where would you like questions and feedback to be sent/posted?

Great man. Thanks a lot for the answers and all your work.

Also, when this hits the App-Store will it be free or cost money?

Regardless, I think you've got me sold. Email will be sent shortly.

Also, is this functional/stable as of now? I don't need any beta stuff that's going to cause me to restore. Thanks!
    Issues of price and availability will be discussed later

The program is fully functional and stable. The current beta version is actually a release candidate, so if no serious problems crop up during the beta this is the version you will see in the app store. But, to add, official app store apps (ie, apps that run on non jailbroken iPhones/Touches) run in a so called sandbox. So, even if an app was unstable and crashed frequently all that would happen is that the app would kick you back to your home screen. In theory (and I say in theory because there might of course be a bug in Apples sandbox system) an official app store app cannot crash so badly that it would force you to restore.

Quote Originally Posted by sillypants View Post
    Interface is really clean. I like it a lot. 2 questions though:

At my university, a password is required to join the wireless network, and there is web authentication once you try to surf. Must the network not require a password to join or were you just trying to clarify what web authentication is?

After entering my username, password, and pressing continue, I am directed to a page where I have to hit an "agree" button before gaining web access. Hence, when AutoWiFi is attempting to learn this network, it fails to gain web access after I enter my login information. Is this a current limitation of the program?

I guess.. one more question... Where would you like questions and feedback to be sent/posted?
    Question 1: I was just trying to clarify what web authentication is, AutoWiFi will work for a network which requires both a WEP/WPA/WPA2 key and web authentication. Apples built in software will take care of the first part and AutoWiFi takes care of the second.

Question 2: Aha, a double part authentication... Now thats interesting... No, the current version of AutoWiFi will not support this however it might be possible to add it. Please contact us via the beta email address and explain the login process in detail and we'll see if we can to anything.

Question 3: As with the previous question and mentioned in the beta acceptance email, please post all feedback and any questions you may have by replying to the email you received. While i follow this thread its not actually officially part of the beta process
    Last edited by Hactarius; 11-19-2008 at 05:42 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Thanks again, man.

Email sent!
    Respect your elders.

you still looking for beta testers? i would love to try. i was helping devicescape with a program like this. i needed them to help me have access to my school. it doesnt work. i gave up on them. but i would love to try and see if it works and i could give you a good report. anyway, let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by Iman07 View Post
    you still looking for beta testers? i would love to try. i was helping devicescape with a program like this. i needed them to help me have access to my school. it doesnt work. i gave up on them. but i would love to try and see if it works and i could give you a good report. anyway, let me know.
    The beta is still open. Follow the instructions in the original post to apply.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast