Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: GPS app?

Default GPS app?
    Anyone have information on a future GPS app for the iphone? I was under the impression Tom Tom was in the process of developing a turn here style GPS app. I have heard nothing about this recently? comments?

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

I have not heard anything like this but would ne excited... hte only downside is extremely large map packs
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

G-Map is coming soon :

G-Map_for_iPhone

I think this is the same company that makes Nav'N'Go

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ron21 View Post
    G-Map is coming soon :

G-Map_for_iPhone

I think this is the same company that makes Nav'N'Go
    That website makes it seem like it is already out. is it?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

No it is not, I think I read some where that they are waiting for approval in the iTunes store.

Thanks

yeah the thing that threw me off was "available in appstore" icon that they took the liverty to put on the site. 700 meg file... pretty big. Any idea what the price might be?

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

Awaiting approval because it violates Apple's stupid rules. Which at the moment states you cant create an app that gives turn-based directions. Which is why we havent seen any good GPS apps yet. TomTom also has an iphone port but cant release it.

I am assuming this has something to do with their agreement with Google for the use of GoogleMaps......come on Apple!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cpjr View Post
    Awaiting approval because it violates Apple's stupid rules. Which at the moment states you cant create an app that gives turn-based directions. Which is why we havent seen any good GPS apps yet. TomTom also has an iphone port but cant release it.

I am assuming this has something to do with their agreement with Google for the use of GoogleMaps......come on Apple!
    wow that really sucks. Why should google care anyway? there are no ads in google maps
    Google should step up and make their own turn by turn then!

Thanks

^^I agree 500%! In my opinion the GPS is mostly useless without this feature. Yeah it comes in handy here and there....but GPS without turn-by-turn.....is like a fat kid without cake...LOL.

And the googlemaps thing is only speculation from different things ive heard. I just file this under my list of "Apple....your retarded", right under "MMS".

Thanks

^^I agree 500%! In my opinion the GPS is mostly useless without this feature. Yeah it comes in handy here and there....but GPS without turn-by-turn.....is like a fat kid without cake...LOL.

And the googlemaps thing is only speculation from different things ive heard. I just file this under my list of "Apple....your retarded", right under "MMS".
    This is when I am happy things like the Storm and Adnroid phones are coming out. Force Apple to step up or get out of the way!

That is so true! I can't believe that Apple is taking so long in implementing some of these features. If it doesn't want to do it, then allow third-party developers to create these apps! SwirlyMMS already works, but it is next to impossible to use with AT&T. I don't want to lose Visual Voicemail in order to use MMS - that is so silly! Hopefully Steve Jobs will stop being pigheaded and offer the features that come in standard smartphones (MMS, cut/paste, video recording, voice dialing, GPS turn-by-turn, etc.). Otherwise offer a Pro phone with those features and charge an additional $100 to cover the development costs! But at least offer something!

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    This is when I am happy things like the Storm and Adnroid phones are coming out. Force Apple to step up or get out of the way!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vandy1997 View Post
    That is so true! I can't believe that Apple is taking so long in implementing some of these features. If it doesn't want to do it, then allow third-party developers to create these apps! SwirlyMMS already works, but it is next to impossible to use with AT&T. I don't want to lose Visual Voicemail in order to use MMS - that is so silly! Hopefully Steve Jobs will stop being pigheaded and offer the features that come in standard smartphones (MMS, cut/paste, video recording, voice dialing, GPS turn-by-turn, etc.). Otherwise offer a Pro phone with those features and charge an additional $100 to cover the development costs! But at least offer something!
    Steve could be pigheaded because there was no competition. He either quits or loses market share. Simple as that!

Thats not true. Anyone one is free to make their own turn by turn Navigation app for the iPhone as long as they include their own maps.

Tomtom has stated that they are working on it and Apple's terms of use will not prevent them from releasing it. In fact it does not violate the Terms of use agreement.

What you are referring to is this :

"In addition, the Service may not be used: (a) for or with real time route guidance (including without limitation, turn-by-turn route guidance and other routing that is enabled through the use of a sensor), or (b) for, or in connection with, any systems or functions for automatic or autonomous control of vehicle behavior."

That is just part of the terms of use for the Google Maps app. It can even be found on the google website :

Google Maps Help

However that's not to say that there aren't other limitations to creating a Turn by Turn GPS app. Some say that the GPS receiver in the iPhone is not sensitive enough among many other things.

I also wonder if Apple would even allow a 1GB plus App into the App store? It would use a ton of bandwidth. Also how would we get map updates?
    Last edited by Ron21; 10-11-2008 at 11:26 AM.

i like how Slikassy bit my quote..... byter
    i used to pray to the Lord every night and ask Him for a bicycle- but then i realized that God doesn't work that way, so I stole one and prayed for Him to forgive me...

Thanks

Thats not true. Anyone one is free to make their own turn by turn Navigation app for the iPhone as long as they include their own maps.

Tomtom has stated that they are working on it and Apple's terms of use will not prevent them from releasing it. In fact it does not violate the Terms of use agreement.

What you are referring to is this :

"In addition, the Service may not be used: (a) for or with real time route guidance (including without limitation, turn-by-turn route guidance and other routing that is enabled through the use of a sensor), or (b) for, or in connection with, any systems or functions for automatic or autonomous control of vehicle behavior."

That is just part of the terms of use for the Google Maps app. It can even be found on the google website :

Google Maps Help

However that's not to say that there aren't other limitations to creating a Turn by Turn GPS app. Some say that the GPS receiver in the iPhone is not sensitive enough among many other things.

I also wonder if Apple would even allow a 1GB plus App into the App store? It would use a ton of bandwidth. Also how would we get map updates?
    Ummm, you said it right there. The service CANNOT be used for REAL TIME route guidance and/or turn by turn directions.

Which is exactly what I stated.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to cpjr For This Useful Post:

timxua (10-13-2008)

Thanks

Ummm, you said it right there. The service CANNOT be used for REAL TIME route guidance and/or turn by turn directions.

Which is exactly what I stated.
    sort of... it says you can;t use the google maps to do turn by turn (in other words have some sort of app run on top of it) but nothing says that a sepparate turn by turn app can;t be used (such as what tom tom has done, I am sure)

Thanks

I am surely hoping one is released. I have just "heard" there are a few "hitches" to doing that right now.

But that would be awesome. Any guess at to what the app may cost? If you figure the average cost for map updates and such.

I am surely hoping one is released. I have just "heard" there are a few "hitches" to doing that right now.

But that would be awesome. Any guess at to what the app may cost? If you figure the average cost for map updates and such.
    Well considering that Tomtom charges people $130 just for a Map update, I wouldn't be surprised if the price is around $150 or more.

Thanks

Well considering that Tomtom charges people $130 just for a Map update, I wouldn't be surprised if the price is around $150 or more.
    May as well get an dedicated GPS unit then at that price, LOL

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,003 Times in 565 Posts

I would like them to release one.... I rather have it all on my iPhone then carry all these gadgets myself.... but wonder how well your battery would hold up?

When I think of the iPhone..... I just can't believe what all it needs still.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast