+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: locating a stolen iphone

is a discussion within the

Apple AppStore App Discussion

forums, a part of the

3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touch

section;
i have seen this application on itunes, i,s called private i phone or something. detective micheal schnider. it's supposed to locate u're iphone whn it's been stolen by letting u
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default locating a stolen iphone
    i have seen this application on itunes, i,s called private i phone or something. detective micheal schnider. it's supposed to locate u're iphone whn it's been stolen by letting u know the location. so does anyone knw if it really does work?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

havent heard of it but would be interested in seeing if its worked or not. thats a great idea!

Green Apple
    Thanks

From the reviews and the app developer's website, it does have some more tweaks that need to be made.

1. One reviewer says that it keeps telling him his phone is located in Africa when he has it here in the US (ie, not stolen. He was checking to see if it works.)

2. Another issue is that if you change your default email address for notifications, it still sends emails to the old email address as well. It is remembering and using all emails entered. The developer mentions on his blog post he is working on that issue.

Some drawbacks I see.

1. It does not work in the background. You have to hope your thief clicks on the application to get it to run.

2. It only emails you when it is running. Unless your thief is using it from their home or work, it might be hard to track your phone down, ie, if they are using it while running around town it will be hard to find them. But it would at least give you a general idea of where it was being used when the app was last activated.

3. If you use an email address that gets sent to your iPhone, you will be alerting the thief that the gig is up. You should use an email address that does NOT get sent to your phone.

3. If iPhone thieves become wise to the application, they can easily delete it from the phone and never click on it to activate it. This could be circumvented if you phone is jailbroken and you give the app a new icon and name. Perhaps something more enticing?

It's a great idea and I would love to get it when it's perfected.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Nukie For This Useful Post:

b3nny (10-10-2008)

iPhone? More like MyPhone b3nny's Avatar
    Thanks

very interesting. thnx for the review, i was curious about this.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

How about if you use backgrounder with the app?

Banned
    Thanks

JUST say GoodBye to it.... The app wont work if your sim card is out!
    cause any person, any smart person- is going to pull the sim and wipe ur info off of it,
    and It will be sold for the highest dollar, gone and forgotten.

to be honest unless someone comes out with an app that I have on my palm-BluePill...we're SOL...
    Last edited by Carrbone; 10-11-2008 at 02:15 AM.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nukie View Post

1. It does not work in the background. You have to hope your thief clicks on the application to get it to run.
    this fact alone renders this app useless
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Why can't Apple have it such that, it can't be wiped out unless you have a certain password. And for times you forget your password, only your iTunes can format it.

Cause currently, even if it is stolen, no matter what password you have...they can just wipe it off..

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 730 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    this fact alone renders this app useless
    you're a thief..... you've just stolen an Iphone...... You have the coolest internet and application platform in the world in your pocket........ you're gonna set it on the table and walk away from it never touching it or looking through it for info, right?

That thing is gonna get touched more than an 8 yr old boy in a Catholic church.
    Screw #Winning, I'm #Juanning
    iMac 27" i5 quad 2.8Ghz (1TB), MacBook Pro 17" 2.6, iPhone 4s

Thanks

ha ha one1 that's funny

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by one1 View Post
    you're a thief..... you've just stolen an Iphone...... You have the coolest internet and application platform in the world in your pocket........ you're gonna set it on the table and walk away from it never touching it or looking through it for info, right?

That thing is gonna get touched more than an 8 yr old boy in a Catholic church.
    The app has to be running... as soon as you load something else it is shut down. Yes it still renders it useless. So you get a "ping" that your phone is in some aparment complex. Are you going to bust in guns blazing to get your phone back? Doubtful...
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

iPhone? More like MyPhone straightryder's Avatar
    Thanks

You think Apple wants you to get your iPhone back??

They want you to go a spend more money on a new one... keep addin' money to the bank account/ sales.

Think about it.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 730 Posts

The app has to be running... as soon as you load something else it is shut down. Yes it still renders it useless.
    Nope, you just install this app and backgrounder and it does NOT shut down. It stays running the entire time.

So you get a "ping" that your phone is in some aparment complex. Are you going to bust in guns blazing to get your phone back? Doubtful...
    Probably be beneficial for you not to test this theory with me.
    Screw #Winning, I'm #Juanning
    iMac 27" i5 quad 2.8Ghz (1TB), MacBook Pro 17" 2.6, iPhone 4s

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by one1 View Post
    Nope, you just install this app and backgrounder and it does NOT shut down. It stays running the entire time.
    How long does the battery last this way constantly sending a gps location?

Green Apple
    Thanks

How long does the battery last this way constantly sending a gps location?
    Not only would that drain the battery (ie, running the app with Backgrounder turned on), but you would be bombarded with constant emails with the app constantly emailing its location to your specified email address. I really don't think you want your phone to be constantly send you emails all the time before it was ever stolen.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I really think Private-I would have been an excellent app if they managed to change the name and icon to something a little less suspicious.

Also, after letting it sit for about 5 minutes, it kept telling me I was in the middle of the ocean....

Private-I iPhone App Review - AppVee.com

I really think Private-I would have been an excellent app if they managed to change the name and icon to something a little less suspicious.

Also, after letting it sit for about 5 minutes, it kept telling me I was in the middle of the ocean....

Private-I iPhone App Review - AppVee.com
    Last edited by BryanNO; 10-16-2008 at 01:54 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

honestly, if you have ever found a phone before, the first thing anyone does is take out the sim card and/or turn it off.

i mean, if you think youve lost your phone, you ring it. if a thief has it and it rings, they are gonna hang up then remove the sim card or turn it off.

with the sim removed, a gps location can not be targeted because the phone uses a-gps, triangulating a position using phone towers then zoning in from there using satellites.

this is completely possible and could work, but with the iphones current battery life it will be useless. the kind of people that would use this the kind that are scared to cross the road without getting run over.

personally, im going to enjoy my already poor battery life and take the risk of not being clumsy/stupid enough to leave my phone laying around giving someone the opportunity to steal it.
    The Original Autobot of MMi
    Jesus couldn't turn into a fire engine

LOL -> "Winterboard does not interfere at all with my performance."

Suck it up, Sucker

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

How about using this app, or a modified app, to locate your kids when they are not at home?

My kids need to attend swimming/badminton classes, piano lessons etc, if their phones can let me know where they are, I would not worry about the battery issue.

Hope that app would work......