Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: fring now on the Appstore!

Default fring now on the Appstore!
    Best of all, it's free!
    I was waiting for this one!

iTunes Link

Description:

fring’s mobile internet service & community allows you to talk, chat & interact with other fringsters & all of your online buddies (fring, Skype, MSN, GoogleTalk, AIM, Yahoo, Twitter, ICQ) using your iPhone’s internet capability. Enjoy voice calls (VoIP) over WiFi and stay connected with your online world with instant messaging from anywhere using fring’s multiple connections (3G, WiFi, GPRS, Edge) You can even check-out each other’s availability in real-time, with fring’s cool dynamic contact list display.

fring & 3G iPhone – it’s fringing freedom!

FEATURES

•VoIP Calls over WiFi
    •Instant Messaging
    •Integrated dynamic contact list 
with real-time contact availability
    •SIP integration
    •Multiple Connection types

Last edited by jandrad; 10-03-2008 at 03:45 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

does this work with backgrounder well?

EDIT: answered my own question... works great and its free... my fav new app! Let's see how the battery does!
    Last edited by sziklassy; 10-03-2008 at 03:00 PM.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

I'll try and see what happens!

I tried it at least with MSN for chating and works great with backgrounder!
    Last edited by jandrad; 10-03-2008 at 02:58 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Did this get released early or something? I just noticed the release date reads 10/9/08 lol
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

I think they did. I looked for it on the app store through my phone and it doesn't show. I have to wait to get home and try the itunes link since I am still at work. I did a search for voip and for fring and no results. I also looked under social networking catagory and nothing.

it's NOT in the UK app store, I guess we are not allowed to use it?????John

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonx View Post
    I think they did. I looked for it on the app store through my phone and it doesn't show. I have to wait to get home and try the itunes link since I am still at work. I did a search for voip and for fring and no results. I also looked under social networking catagory and nothing.
    yeah I was only able to get it on itunes and then sync it to my phone, was not able to load the appstore on my phone and download straight from there. great app though

I cannot find Fring on iTunes or on the App Store (iphone)

Anyone else having this problem?

EDIT: I found it under social networking......It seems to not like the search feature......weird
    Last edited by sgt sm00th; 10-03-2008 at 03:49 PM.

still came up for me, btw they changed release date to oct 1, funny stuff

i dont see any landscape mode, if there isnt, ill stick with BeejiveIM personally think BeejiveIM looks better!

i found it on itunes, i can't find it in the appstore (iphone)

Fring + Backgrounder + GrandCentral + Gizmo = No AT&T

Quote Originally Posted by djn04 View Post
    Fring + Backgrounder + GrandCentral + Gizmo = No AT&T
    OK I get the fring and Backgrounder but how do you use grand central and gizmo to compliment it. I have both. From what I can see with gizmo you still have to pay for outgoing calls to landlines and it still costs for an incoming number, that is unless you give people the access number to dial your sip number. So as I see things it may cheaper in some regard but not free. That is unless I am overlooking something...

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

FINALLY, working skype IM on the iPhone, and VOIP to boot, for free! I love this app!

What's the cheapest/best SIP or VOIP solution? I want to be able to call into and out of land lines... and have a way people can call me too... I was thinking SKYPE, and I've used skype before, but if there's a cheaper better option... what do you guys recommend?

Heres my review on Fring:

"I tried out Fring with Skype and Gizmo SIP; there is a noticable 5 second lag between people talking, also there is echoing. I am right near my wireless router, and skype on the computer works fine. Also note that Truphone does not have lag (or as bad as 5seconds) when I tried it out on this same setup.

To get skypeout calls to work, you have to enter 001 before the 9/10 digit number (001-800-342-3543), otherwise itll bring you to terminated call right away. Thats a minor annoyance but easily fixable on their end - by making it automatically dial 001 for you for any calls made on Skype (in the US)

Also, after adding Skype addon in fring (which takes awhile to log in), it dials out fine. After exiting the program, and go back in, skype calls DO NOT work anymore. You have to remove the skype addon, and add it again.

Another big bug is the "no .'s after the @," luckily I had an account with the old fring.

I would love for skype to work with minimal lag - Ive tried out truphone and that works semi-well - but expensive per/min

I was ecstatic when I heard fring was on the appstore. I have tried the old 1.1.4 jailbroken version and it was unusable as VOIP goes - long voice delays, never calling right, etc.

I hoped this version would AT LEAST fix the voice lag, thats the whole point of VOIP, but it is EXACTLY the same as it was in the old version (except adding skype and menus). I know this app is free, but the point I want to make is that I would have easily paid $10 if it worked correctly and lagfree.

Now that the NDA is up, I would suggest Fring to collaborate with Truphone and iCall (if possible) to see how they did it or are doing it. Truphone works well, but is expensive since it uses their own service. And iCall, well, is not even out yet and no one knows their pricing."

To sum it up:
    It doesnt work well right now, WAYYY too much lag. Hopefully it works soon

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ranova For This Useful Post:

AttackMonkey (10-13-2008), sgt sm00th (10-04-2008)

Yeah~ I got it.

But, how can I set up the app to let my contact list do not show in "Buddies list" ???

THX !
    I think ... I do ... in my utopia ...

http://www.modmyi.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=324941&dateline=12156  49304

On the iPhone, for VoiP....I've tried Truphone(Good call quality), Pennytel(Cheapest Rates)....and Skype(Fring, Call quality was terrible, superlag).
    So please tell me, they've fixed this I hope call quality has improved.

As for IM, I think Beejive still pwns everyone else.

Ok I guess they haven't fixed Call quality... bleh.
    Last edited by boneheadxan; 10-04-2008 at 06:35 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

why is there a zero on the badge for Fring, how do you get rid of that
    ------------------------------

iPhone 4
    4.1 Firmware

iPhone? More like MyPhone Renblade's Avatar
    Thanks

Greatest app... EVER!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast