Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: fring now on the Appstore!

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonx View Post
    OK I get the fring and Backgrounder but how do you use grand central and gizmo to compliment it. I have both. From what I can see with gizmo you still have to pay for outgoing calls to landlines and it still costs for an incoming number, that is unless you give people the access number to dial your sip number. So as I see things it may cheaper in some regard but not free. That is unless I am overlooking something...
    You are indeed overlooking something. I'll try to explain. You have your GC number, you setup GC to ring your gizmo number. On your iphone you open fring and log into your gizmo sip number, and close fring using backgrounder, open grand dialer (app store app) on your iphone and dial a number (landline, cellphone, whatever), then close Grand dialer with backgrounder. Now open fring again and accept the call from your gizmo number. Bingo now your talking to the person you called via grand dialer over the internet.

If you leave fring running in the background anyone who calls on your GC number will ring through fring. At the moment you can't answer incoming calls because you need to dial 1 to accept the call but I'm sure fring will allow access to the dialpad soon. Or you can use freepbx to automatically dial 1 for you.

Quote Originally Posted by dallasnights View Post
    why is there a zero on the badge for Fring, how do you get rid of that
    I'm trying to figure this out too: http://www.modmyi.com/forums/general...ml#post2371731

Retired Moderator A Retired Mod's Avatar
    Thanks

Nice!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by djn04 View Post
    You are indeed overlooking something. I'll try to explain. You have your GC number, you setup GC to ring your gizmo number. On your iphone you open fring and log into your gizmo sip number, and close fring using backgrounder, open grand dialer (app store app) on your iphone and dial a number (landline, cellphone, whatever), then close Grand dialer with backgrounder. Now open fring again and accept the call from your gizmo number. Bingo now your talking to the person you called via grand dialer over the internet.

If you leave fring running in the background anyone who calls on your GC number will ring through fring. At the moment you can't answer incoming calls because you need to dial 1 to accept the call but I'm sure fring will allow access to the dialpad soon. Or you can use freepbx to automatically dial 1 for you.

Ok,

I got what your doing, but my point was that a Dial in Number to Gizmo costs 12 bucks for 3 months. Otherwise you have to use an access number then the sip number. Now I do know you can get a free dial in sip number from IKall. Will grand central dial sip numbers? I have a grand central account but have never checked. I used grand central dialer all the time. I am with tmobile and have the myfav 5 plan and use grand central for outgoing.

That is why I was confused. Is there a way to get a dial in number with Gizmo or is the sip number the dial in number?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Ok I love this app over WiFi. At home, I use VoipBuster and I can get calls with great quality.

Only problem is I am trying to intregrate with a local SIP server that is not publically routable. Anyone able to get this to login to a SIP server other than the provided ones by entering the User/Pass/Proxy?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ranova View Post
    I tried out Fring with Skype and Gizmo SIP; there is a noticable 5 second lag

To get skypeout calls to work, you have to enter 001 before the 9/10 digit number (001-800-342-3543), otherwise itll bring you to terminated call right away.
    I don't know about a 5 second lag, I tried standing right by my router and I had an RSSI of 50-60 and calling my wife's iphone I got about a .5-.75 second delay which was irritating but not prohibitive. When we were in Italy we called our credit card company successfully through an open WiFi point and had a tolerable conversation at an RSSI of 25-29... There was probably some lag but again it was tolerable.

I hope that they do improve the lag but it's better than nothing in a pinch and it's certainly better than paying AT&T's international rates

Oh-thanks for the info about dialing the 0's that was clutch.

If we search VoIP apps on App store its a list of cool apps but i am happy with Skype and Vopium both work really well for international calls and they are cheap as well

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I never used it before but it looks like a pretty nice app. Moreover its free. I think it will be injustice if I don't try it.
    no signature links....thanks

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12