Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Air Sharing for iPhone - Get it while itís Free!

It really rocks!
    Now I can view on my iphone many file types and I don't need SSH transfers anymore...

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,003 Times in 565 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by laz305 View Post
    hey before I install it can someone give me an example, like if I had a word doc or a .txt what would i have to do? where does the file go?
    Well I have a Mac but will try to answer your question.... on my Mac it was a breeze to set up... did it within seconds!

Once you install the program on your iphone and see it on your computer you then can make directories where you see it on your computer, once you make a directory it will put that directory right in the program.... You can also put files in there if you choose not to organize them... You can also delete them as well if you don't want them later.... Say you want a directory called Text Files..... move all of your text files over to the text file directory.... or my Important Pdf's... make the directory, put your files in it and then look in the app on your phone and it is there.... really nice to have to put important files on the phone.... hope this helps!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

wow thank

i agree with others. this is a great app. especially after i networked mapped it into my windows, transferring files has become really simple.

but i do have one irritating problem. for every file i transfer i get some error message with a code 1600000 (something like that). the message comes with two options: Retry or Cancel. Retry doesn't work and cancel....well u know what that does. but the strange part is the file has actually been copied onto my iphone while the message appears. so for every file copied i have to ignore its message and after transfer is complete in the background, disconnect the phone from the network and then Cancel the message.

I will try again and post the exact message i get when i transfer files.

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,003 Times in 565 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by saifeeab View Post
    i agree with others. this is a great app. especially after i networked mapped it into my windows, transferring files has become really simple.

but i do have one irritating problem. for every file i transfer i get some error message with a code 1600000 (something like that). the message comes with two options: Retry or Cancel. Retry doesn't work and cancel....well u know what that does. but the strange part is the file has actually been copied onto my iphone while the message appears. so for every file copied i have to ignore its message and after transfer is complete in the background, disconnect the phone from the network and then Cancel the message.

I will try again and post the exact message i get when i transfer files.
    I am wondering if it is some bug within the program that is doing this?

well actually i dont know whether its a bug within the program or some windows security thing which is not allowing me to copy a file??

Now this is weird. I deleted the old symlink and created a new one to the seeqpod directory. I can't get it to show up in the browser at all, even though the link is there in SSH and in Air Sharing.

The other link I made to the pictures folder (DCIM) works fine.

Ideas?

OneRing2Rule
    If I've helped you or even just made you laugh, hit Thanks. Every time you do, an iPhone gets jailbroken. FREE THE iPHONES!!!

Hey guys, theres a thread in one of the other forums titled something like "2.1 closes some doors," and in that post, the author goes on to say that they can no longer do things outside of their working folder as they could before. Specifically the author's app enumerated the sizes of the other installed apps. Now with 2.1's changes, the author can only look at the folder structure outside of his, but can't touch it.

This would also apply to airshare now, its at the OS level. Apple doesn't want us snooping around from outside I guess :T

You might have to reverse symlink all this stuff, but its going to get messy the day you happen to uninstall airshare, or it gets updated. By this I mean create all the folders you want to access from the airshare server directly inside your airsharing folder and symlinking to them from their original locations. i.e. /var/mobile/DCIM would actually be a symlink to the DCIM folder inside of the airshare application folder.

Nebber mind wut I typed here earlier.
    huh.

edit: ah, hell. http://www.modmyi.com/forums/iphone-...ml#post2229721
    You wuz right. Lemme figure a way round this......

OneRing2Rule
    Last edited by OneRing2Rule; 09-18-2008 at 07:59 PM.
    If I've helped you or even just made you laugh, hit Thanks. Every time you do, an iPhone gets jailbroken. FREE THE iPHONES!!!

Anyone managed to play .3gp files thru Air Sharing? I can't and certain .mp4 movies can't play either.

With the lose of the ability to symlink to Downloads and other directories, I lost the reason to keep this on my phone.

being able to download stuff so quickly over the air from those folders was pretty convenient. inside of having to plug my phone it, check the IP address, on winSCP, click through the folders and transfer. *sniffle*
    I miss touching air sharing, and basically just downloading! come back symlinks!...
    *voice fades into the distance*
    Ccooommee bbaaccckkk.....

I am runnin 2.0 on my 8GB and had been using the initial version of airsharing successfully, however I recently updated it thru appstore and now, all the files and folders I had created are either deleted or airsharing is no longer seeing the folder that I kept my files. Which is it? did my files get erased during the update? I can search the phone using iphonebrowser so if anyone knows what directory the older version of airsharing kept its files, that would be great...thanx in advance...

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I had similar problems with the very 1st upgrade. In fact, I had 200MB of videos installed the 1st time I upgraded ....... and it never finished after 3 hours -- I had to force quit. Felt lucky everything worked afterwords and had backups.

I think we're had 3 upgrades since my 1st install. After the frustrating and exhausting 1st upgrade, I now move 'my data' out of the folder prior to upgrading. It can be cumbersome to find the folder (with it's long hex name) ..... and it ALWAYS changes after an upgrade. But it now upgrades without issues.

Just move your data to a different directory (completely out of the current AirSharing hex folder) ... upgrade, then move it back. Works every time for me

**** isn't free anymore
    Last edited by ZIGE; 11-02-2008 at 09:11 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by ZIGE View Post
    **** isn't free anymore
    ...but it is still worth every penny the dev is asking for. LOT of work went into this app and it's price is trivial.

STILL highly recommended!!!
    PLEASE click everyone's "Thanks" buttons...they are begging for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinner23 View Post
    My question:

What do you actually do with this program? Now what? I just look at the file and say "wow, i moved a file over the air"?..
    that's pretty much it
    turning ur iphone into a data storage device or a flash drive

Thanks

It's not just for storage. Remember is actually reads all of the files it stores. So instead of getting separate programs to read PDF, text, Docs, Excel, pictures, etc... it's all in one.
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

@Eurisco. Haha. So true. Actually that's my primary use for AirSharing. IE: PDFs, videos and music I don't want or care to be sync'd and a general all purpose reader/player. The only problem is the restriction to AirSharing directory - no symbolic links. A new app 'WildEyes' is completely open without the sharing capability.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mes View Post
    @Eurisco. Haha. So true. Actually that's my primary use for AirSharing. IE: PDFs, videos and music I don't want or care to be sync'd and a general all purpose reader/player. The only problem is the restriction to AirSharing directory - no symbolic links. A new app 'WildEyes' is completely open without the sharing capability.
    Not true dear friend. SSH into your iPhone, do a simple "find / -name airsharing.app". This will tell you what folder it's located in (something like 0e63e83-ef74a4-b472f-37fac-463bd). Then you create a symlink: "ln -s / /private/var/mobile/Applications/0e63e83-ef74a4-b472f-37fac-463bd/Documents/iPhone"

This will create a folder in your AirSharing directory called iPhone which will give you full access to your system folders.
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

@Thanks. Did this change with an update? When AirSharing 1st came out I got it (was free), and tried the sim-link trick. But no-go. There was a thread here at the time as well. Others had similar problems. Hope you're right. Will try again and report back.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast