+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: tom tom gps

is a discussion within the

Apple AppStore App Discussion

forums, a part of the

3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touch

section;
Do anybody no when it's gone be released for the iPhone 3g
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default tom tom gps
    Do anybody no when it's gone be released for the iPhone 3g

Thanks

It breaks the terms of the SDK so I don't think you're going to see it. Reason behind it is Apple doesn't want the liability. Say you're using TomTom on the iPhone, and it tells you drive left (into a brick wall) or right (into the river). Whose liable for damages? TomTom or Apple? As far as the customers concerned, its Apple's GPS, its Apple's fault. They don't need the headache.
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Eurisko For This Useful Post:

flrdotcom (09-03-2008)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    How come they'r adding turn by turn directions to firmware 2.1 then? There will be dedicated sat nav on the iphne either from TomTom or Garmin etc..

Thanks

Because that software will be by Apple, therefore Apple will be the only liable party. And they'll make damn sure there's no errors.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Short answer, no one knows when TomTom, Navizon or any other Map Routing Software is going to come out. And if someone does know, they aren't telling

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Eurisko View Post
    It breaks the terms of the SDK so I don't think you're going to see it. Reason behind it is Apple doesn't want the liability. Say you're using TomTom on the iPhone, and it tells you drive left (into a brick wall) or right (into the river). Whose liable for damages? TomTom or Apple? As far as the customers concerned, its Apple's GPS, its Apple's fault. They don't need the headache.
    no disrespect to the moderator, but i think you have other issues which require corecting if you end up running into a wall or river just because a gps told you to do it. i don't see this as a liability issue on the part of apple, but apple making piecemeal improvements to the iphone in order to promote stability of the core firmware. although as of late, the firmware has been sort of buggy when it comes to the appstore. hopefully they fix this in 2.1 and add some features like cut and paste, the ability to have apps running while the screen is off, and a2dp bluetooth headset support.

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

^^Its also part of an infringement of rights with Google for the use of GoogleMaps on the iphone with "partial" GPS capabilities.

My iPhone is a Part of Me JazJon's Avatar
    Thanks

All these rules sure hamper faster innovation of new apps that can fully utilize the iphone. (some of which never even make it past apple for release) I guess this keeps our iphones sailing smoothly, and other partnerships happy, but not as much fun for us in the end. I have to say, I really like having a stable phone though compared to my old windows mobile days. I'm not sure which way I lean. Good thing we can jailbreak for some apps, but I doubt we would see a full turn by turn GPS program via Cydia. :-/

Green Apple
    Thanks
    I sure hope something is released. The inbuilt GPS was the main reason I upgraded to the iPhone 3G.

Google Maps with GPS is complete s**te while driving as it constantly has to download it's map, and when not in a 3G area, it's just not quick enough.

What's the point of putting in GPS if it's not used to it's full potential. OK, finding a nearby coffee bar is all well and good, but most people want built-in GPS for Sat nav purposes, well I do anyway

All other devices with in-built GPS offer the ability for Sat Nav software, why doesn't Apple?

The legal implications regarding driving into a wall etc are covered by TomTom already with a "Legal Terms" window displayed when it loads on other devices, so that can't be the real reason.

Perhaps some of the glitches TomTom have run into with their "almost ready" version is the fact it can't run in the background, or doesn't have the ability to switch between Apps, such as replying to a text or making a call while it's running. Not that I condone making phone calls while driving mind you, especially with the iphone where it's more difficult.
    Last edited by InspectorGadget171175; 09-05-2008 at 05:22 AM.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    So if my magellan roadmate directs me into a wall, I may proceed to hit said wall and then I can sue magellan? LOL! I'm sure THAT would stand up in court

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hawpunch View Post
    no disrespect to the moderator, but i think you have other issues which require corecting if you end up running into a wall or river just because a gps told you to do it.
    Obviously you don't know how stupid the majority of the populous really is. Sure my examples were extreme to pint out liability, but many people do exactly as they are told.

Additionally, as InspectorGadget pointed out, yes TomTom shows a disclaimer, but that is on TomTom's own hardware, not a 3rd parties. And one last note, for true and precise mapping, the maps would need to be on the phone itself, and TomTom's North American map for example is 1.2 GB. Members of this forum aside, how many people would be willing to use up that much space on their phone for 1 program.

Quote Originally Posted by pj_rage View Post
    So if my magellan roadmate directs me into a wall, I may proceed to hit said wall and then I can sue magellan? LOL! I'm sure THAT would stand up in court
    In the US, it definitely would. Google the case of the woman who bought an RV. She was driving one day, then decided to get up and make some breakfast, but made sure to put the cruise control on first. When the RV went off the road and got totaled, she sued the company stating that the manual never said she couldn't leave the drivers seat while the RV was in motion. And she won.

Now every RV manual specifically states these guidelines in the drivers manual. Think I'm joking? You'd be surprised.
    Last edited by Eurisko; 09-05-2008 at 06:15 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Eurisko For This Useful Post:

Taniban (09-05-2008)

iPhone? More like MyPhone marys25's Avatar
    Thanks

In the US, it definitely would. Google the case of the woman who bought an RV. She was driving one day, then decided to get up and make some breakfast, but made sure to put the cruise control on first. When the RV went off the road and got totaled, she sued the company stating that the manual never said she couldn't leave the drivers seat while the RV was in motion. And she won.

Now every RV manual specifically states these guidelines in the drivers manual. Think I'm joking? You'd be surprised.
    are you serious?? LMAO!! thats like the guy that wanted to sue McDonalds, Burger King and Taco bell for getting him fat

EDIT: that claim above is false...there has never been a sue for an RV http://www.snopes.com/autos/techno/cruise.asp Snopes has confirmed it. they are all Urban Legends
    Last edited by marys25; 09-05-2008 at 06:56 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Obviously you don't know how stupid the majority of the populous really is. Sure my examples were extreme to pint out liability, but many people do exactly as they are told.

Additionally, as InspectorGadget pointed out, yes TomTom shows a disclaimer, but that is on TomTom's own hardware, not a 3rd parties. And one last note, for true and precise mapping, the maps would need to be on the phone itself, and TomTom's North American map for example is 1.2 GB. Members of this forum aside, how many people would be willing to use up that much space on their phone for 1 program.

TomTom, Garmin, Route 66 and many other sat nav software programs run on other peoples hardware like Series 60 smartphones and Windows Mobile handsets. On my Nokia N95 i had both Garmin Mobile XT and TomTom 6 installed and running without any problems and i never crashed into a wall or thought my car would magically drive itself.

There will always be idiots in this world but the case of the woman in the RV really just makes a mockery of the American justice system. That would have have been laughed at and thrown out of court in the UK. If Apple truly wants to compete with the likes of Nokia, this is a MUST. They either need to provide a solution themselves or allow these apps on the appstore.

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

All GPS manufacturers have a warning in them. I have one from Garmin. They have been in the business forever and haven't perfected their software so there is no way in hell Apple will achieve it. I love Apple, but let's face it. They have their hands in too many pots to be able to perfect GPS navigation.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

i might be alittle of topic here, but i switch to the iphone from a verizon lg env and i LOVED the navi on my env. it worked everytime and was faster then ever! i never got lost when i was using it on a 100 doller phone. my question is, and im sure there a good reason for it, why cant the iphone use the same simple technology as other service carriers use? doesnt it make sense that it is the most popular phone on the market that to have a reliable turn by turn gps system ??

Thanks

Against SDK rules won't get in. Period.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Don't believe everything you read on the internet. I have yet to see a case number for the mythical "cruise control" lawsuit anywhere, it's urban myth until proven otherwise.

You might use the McDonalds hot coffee lawsuit, but guess what that's real, and MC was serving coffee above a safe temperature.

As for Apple not implimenting navigation due to "liability risk" if someone turns into a building, that's simply rediculous, no offense. Most likely the reasons are most likely due to something like (and this are assumptions like everything else here):

1. The phone's GPS implementation is not yet ready for prime time (hence the rumors around the 2.1 gps update providing a proper gps data feed.
    2. GPS apps are simply not ready for prime time. These things do take some time to produce.
    3. The charger "inadequacy" issue is real and running the phone as a full time navigation system is not feasible as the phone will run out of power even if plugged in.

As for the "against SDK rules" arguments, care to elaborate? I don't see anything in the rules that rule out GPS navigation. Now if you had said that the current SDK doesn't support the features to properly support turn by turn navigation, that might make sense.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    The other thing thing is that the google maps mobile software (inc iphone) use the telenav maps which are owned by TomTom. So it does make sense that when satnav software arrives it will be from TomTom and no one else. The only other maps are the Navteq ones which are now owned by Nokia and theres no way they will allow their maps to power anything other than Nokia smartphones.
    So we will not see turn by turn from Google. It will either come from Telenav's own solution which streams the maps to you like Google Maps or it will be TomTom where you preload the maps. I hope its the latter but i've got a feeling it will be the former as it will be less of a headache for Apple to implement in the appstore. ie. all programs are the same no matter what region and there's no massive maps to download.

Thanks

There have been cases with GPS where trucks and buses get directed into a road that is too narrow, and they end up getting stuck.
    [RIGHT][LEFT][IMG]http://lookpic.com/i/470/QsIbAobp.jpeg[/IMG]
    [/LEFT][QUOTE]Microsoft owns the internet through Hotmail. The .HTML is short for Hotmail, so all .HTML files are MS files.[/QUOTE][URL="http://twitter.com/dale1v"][SIZE=2][COLOR=Cyan][I]twitter.com/dale1v[/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]
    [/RIGHT]

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dale1v View Post
    There have been cases with GPS where trucks and buses get directed into a road that is too narrow, and they end up getting stuck.
    Trucks and buses shouldn't be using standard sat nav. Period. They have special maps (and i think specialized GPS software) for Trucks and buses that highlight narrow roads etc.